News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

About those peaceful antifa protests...

Started by viper37, August 20, 2017, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

So, for you, the Proud Boys are not racist?
Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 19, 2018, 09:47:48 AM
So, for you, the Proud Boys are not racist?

They consider themselves "Western Chauvinists", touting the superiority of Western culture, but they have disavowed racism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2018, 10:04:18 AM
They consider themselves "Western Chauvinists", touting the superiority of Western culture, but they have disavowed racism.

I know what they say. I am asking if you consider them racist.

derspiess

No.  It took them longer than it should have to distance themselves from white nationalist groups, but I don't consider them racist.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

What would it take for you to consider something racist? Do you have examples of things you consider racist?

derspiess

I'm not going to try to convince you that they are not racist.  You probably consider me racist.

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2018, 11:06:19 AM
I'm not going to try to convince you that they are not racist.  You probably consider me racist.

Well, you certainly are the useful idiot of racists.

derspiess

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 19, 2018, 10:08:28 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2018, 10:04:18 AM

I know what they say. I am asking if you consider them racist.

As far as I understand it (and I don't spend a lot of time thinking about them) the Proud Boys allow and have non-white members.

There appears to be an argument that PB are misogynistic, certainly both anti-Muslim and anti-semitic, but racism doesn't seem to apply.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2018, 11:06:19 AM

You shouldn't try to convince me of anything. But if you are willing to call out people for using the term "Nazis" improperly, or to exaggerate, or when you try to rescue all sorts of people from accusations of fascism, it would help to understand what it would take for you to consider someone a Nazi, a fascist, a racist. The people you try to cast as out-of-touch leftist wackos willing to punch anyone they disagreed with have at least offered pretty straightforward description of their political beliefs, while you have weaseled out more than once. What I object to, is the way you constantly imply leftist ideas are self-evidently beyond the pale, while equivocating on your own preferences which, truth be told, appear to be much more extreme-right than you seem willing to admit.

derspiess

They're anti-Islam for sure.  Not sure I've seen anything anti-semitic coming from them. 

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2018, 11:30:21 AM
As far as I understand it (and I don't spend a lot of time thinking about them) the Proud Boys allow and have non-white members.

There appears to be an argument that PB are misogynistic, certainly both anti-Muslim and anti-semitic, but racism doesn't seem to apply.

Yes. And Nazis had ideologues and sympathizers within the groups they explicitly despised, even Jewish sympathizers and ideologues. That's the problem with the Proud Boys and other hipster racists: it's always humor, it's always ambiguous, we are always lacking the proper context, it's always on a comedy show, they're not really serious, and some of their best friends are black (or Indigenous, or Samoans).

Racism was never a fully coherent set of belief. The Proud Boys essentialize whiteness and wield it as a weapon for justifying discrimination and hatred. That they do not see it fit to develop fully their stance towards the skin color of others neither prevents, nor preclude them from arguing for white supremacy. 

Razgovory

How are the Proud Boys depicted in the Right-wing media?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 19, 2018, 12:03:56 PM
How are the Proud Boys depicted in the Right-wing media?

They're generally not, from what I can tell.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2018, 11:30:21 AM

even the Nazis had "honorary Aryans"  Racism can manifest in different ways not just literally or figurative black or white.
"European chauvinism" has a racial component even if applied in a way that allows certain others to "convert"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson