NYU LGBT Group Welcomes a Visiting Professor From Singapore

Started by Faeelin, July 10, 2009, 10:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

QuoteHuman Rights Prof. Opposes Gay Rights
By Julie Bolcer
Human Rights Prof. Opposes Gay Rights

A visiting human rights professor scheduled to teach at NYU School of Law this fall vigorously opposes LGBT rights, according to Inside Higher Ed . Thio Li-ann (pictured) of the National University of Singapore will teach a course on "Human Rights in Asia," but her dedication to minority rights apparently does not extend to LGBT people.

As a nominated member of parliament in Singapore, the distinguished academic fought the repeal of a law that punished adults who had consensual gay sex with up to two years in prison. During the debate over the law, she compared anal sex to "shoving a straw up your nose to drink" in a speech documented here.

The group for NYU gay and lesbian law students, NYU Outlaw, issued a statement on Thursday calling on the top-ranked law school to condemn the antigay statements of Thio. However, NYU Outlaw pledged to engage the visiting professor in a dialogue in the fall rather than call for her removal. "The board thinks it best to fight Dr. Thio's offensive views not by silencing her but by engaging in a respectful and productive dialogue about the boundaries of human rights," said NYU Outlaw.

In an e-mail interview with Inside Higher Ed, Thio questioned the idea of a "human right to sodomy" and rejected the "imperialism" of the international LGBT rights framework.

"I think certain Americans have to realize the fact that there are a diversity of views on the subject and it is not a settled matter; there is no universal norm and it is nothing short of moral imperialism to suggest there is," Thio wrote. "Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no consensus on this even within the U.S. Supreme Court and American society at large, even post Lawrence v. Texas."

In the 2003 ruling, Supreme Court justices voted 6-3 to strike down antisodomy laws.

http://advocate.com/news_detail_ektid97380.asp

Since the story's getting out and about, I thought I could post it. Though I should note the woman is far crazier than she appears here.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Strix

What's LGBT?

I am assuming it's some form of lesbian/gay/bi-sexual/transsexual?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Ed Anger

Too much lettuce and tomato with all that delicious bacon.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Strix on July 11, 2009, 08:03:58 AM
What's LGBT?

I am assuming it's some form of lesbian/gay/bi-sexual/transsexual?

You are assuming correctly. (T can also be expanded into "transgender").

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on July 10, 2009, 10:27:29 PM
However, NYU Outlaw pledged to engage the visiting professor in a dialogue in the fall rather than call for her removal.
Is this a euphemism for heckle?

The Brain

No offense but I think I will take the word of a human rights professor a lot more seriously than some lobby group.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2009, 05:31:11 PM
or gum.

You can buy gum now, just only from a dentist or pharmacy and they have to record your name in a gum chewers database.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on July 11, 2009, 06:45:26 PM
You can buy gum now, just only from a dentist or pharmacy and they have to record your name in a gum chewers database.
What do they do with that? :huh:

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2009, 07:06:53 PM
What do they do with that? :huh:

I dunno, I assume it's so that if you're accused of leaving your gum somewhere you shouldn't, they have a written record that you actually did purchase gum.

Valmy

Quoterejected the "imperialism" of the international LGBT rights framework

Holy shit. :frusty:  Asking for rights is imperialism now.

Quote"I think certain Americans have to realize the fact that there are a diversity of views on the subject and it is not a settled matter; there is no universal norm and it is nothing short of moral imperialism to suggest there is," Thio wrote. "Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no consensus on this even within the U.S. Supreme Court and American society at large, even post Lawrence v. Texas.

And therefore LGBT people shouldn't fight for their rights?  Because there are homophobic people around?

And this is a person supposedly for human rights?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.