Massive data leaks from Deep Root Analytics

Started by viper37, June 26, 2017, 11:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

61% of Americans affected

Alarming Detail Other details contained within the publicly available database include people's suspected religious affiliations, their ethnicity, and their political biases. These political beliefs even go as far as to disclose people's opinions on gun control, the right to abortion, and stem cell research. How this data was collected is still somewhat of a mystery, but the level of detail amassed about such a large proportion of the US population is truly alarming. I asked the firm exactly how it had amassed such a massive cache of personal data about US citizens, but DRA ignored my line of questioning.
That's a lot of data.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

I wonder where Seedy stands on all those issues.  He keeps his cards pretty close to his chest.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

I believe in abortion and the death penalty.  Whatever gets traffic moving in the morning.

Admiral Yi

The article makes it seems the leaked data was all predictions.  Do I really care if everyone knows what some data mining company predicts what my opinion about gun control is?

Tonitrus

It will when the ATF comes to round you up for crimes you might commit or political views that are undesirable to the State.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2017, 11:52:25 AM

Alarming Detail Other details contained within the publicly available database include people's suspected religious affiliations, their ethnicity, and their political biases. These political beliefs even go as far as to disclose people's opinions on gun control, the right to abortion, and stem cell research. How this data was collected is still somewhat of a mystery, but the level of detail amassed about such a large proportion of the US population is truly alarming. I asked the firm exactly how it had amassed such a massive cache of personal data about US citizens, but DRA ignored my line of questioning.
That's a lot of data.

better make sure there's no flying carriers around....

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2017, 12:13:28 PM
The article makes it seems the leaked data was all predictions.  Do I really care if everyone knows what some data mining company predicts what my opinion about gun control is?

Yes. Because it can allow to predict much more, and because it allows micromanagement of politics, rather than appeals to the common good.
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2017, 12:22:20 PM
It will when the ATF comes to round you up for crimes you might commit or political views that are undesirable to the State.

Lulz

dps

Alarming Detail Other details contained within the publicly available database include people’s suspected religious affiliations, their ethnicity, and their political biases. These political beliefs even go as far as to disclose people’s opinions on gun control, the right to abortion, and stem cell research. How this data was collected is still somewhat of a mystery, but the level of detail amassed about such a large proportion of the US population is truly alarming. I asked the firm exactly how it had amassed such a massive cache of personal data about US citizens, but DRA ignored my line of questioning.
That's a lot of data.

All that they have to do to find out that info on me is read Languish, no prediction needed. (though I guess some of them are on the old forums that are lost to us now). 

Ed Anger

I'm safe. I express at least 3 different positions on major issues. i ride a wave of disinformation.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

That's a lot of data.

Mormons.... :ph34r:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 26, 2017, 01:05:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2017, 12:13:28 PM

Yes. Because it can allow to predict much more, and because it allows micromanagement of politics, rather than appeals to the common good.
That's a different issue.  I agree that data science does not serve the common good here, but the genie is out of the bottle.

The concern is that there is already a pretty dystopian level of information about each individual.  That I'm afraid is also just a matter of time before it comes to reality, even without illegal surveillance.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on June 26, 2017, 07:51:21 PM
The concern is that there is already a pretty dystopian level of information about each individual.  That I'm afraid is also just a matter of time before it comes to reality, even without illegal surveillance.

We've discussed this before;  China's been hard at work on it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/in-a-series-of-hacks-china-appears-to-building-a-database-on-americans/2015/06/05/d2af51fa-0ba3-11e5-95fd-d580f1c5d44e_story.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/china-is-building-a-massive-database-of-americans-2015-6

And if you don't think the Chinese wouldn't consider trying to build a database of every individual American possible, you don't know Chinese strategic thought.  It's about as Chinese as you can get.

Admiral Yi

If this data does not serve the common good, then applying the same logic neither do political opinion surveys or really any communication of preference from the electorate to an elected official.