Modern America as a Parliamentary Democracy?

Started by mongers, June 11, 2017, 07:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

In parliamentary systems parties haggle with each other to form coalitions after the citizens have voted.  They thus have no direct input into the policies followed.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on June 11, 2017, 10:11:31 PM
Quote from: dps on June 11, 2017, 07:14:06 PM
If we had a parliamentary system, we'd probably have fractured into a multitude of small, weak nations years ago, rendering the whole idea moot.
:huh: Why would that be the case?

Historical deterministic 'thinking'.

"We live in the best of all possible worlds", make this type of thread pointless.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on June 12, 2017, 07:24:20 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 11, 2017, 10:11:31 PM
Quote from: dps on June 11, 2017, 07:14:06 PM
If we had a parliamentary system, we'd probably have fractured into a multitude of small, weak nations years ago, rendering the whole idea moot.
:huh: Why would that be the case?

Historical deterministic 'thinking'.

"We live in the best of all possible worlds", make this type of thread pointless.

Your threads generally are. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Hell, if Washington were alive today, what would he say?

I mean, aside from "get me out of this damned box!".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2017, 10:54:35 PM
In parliamentary systems parties haggle with each other to form coalitions after the citizens have voted.  They thus have no direct input into the policies followed.

only in cases of hung parliaments - which are rare.  And this time around it we have an extremely rare occurrence of the governing party being propped up by an extremist party.

Btw, this is a good example of why I don't think proportionate representation works well in a Westminster model of government.

I wonder what "direct" input you think American voters have "into the policies followed" after every American election?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on June 12, 2017, 09:14:56 AM
Hell, if Washington were alive today, what would he say?

I mean, aside from "get me out of this damned box!".  ;)

Booooo.  :mad: 
That was great.

Valmy

I think parliamentary majorities have too much power to work well here. Our checks and balances are too integral to our system.

On the other hand having MPs head departments would annoy those who like to constantly bitch about the power of 'unelected bureaucrats' whenever they don't get their way on something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Isn't there haggling and dealing for us as well?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2017, 01:27:35 PM

Isn't their haggling and dealing for us as well?

The 60 percent of Americans who want universal health care are really happy with their direct input on policies too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2017, 10:53:43 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 11, 2017, 10:13:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2017, 10:11:47 PM
Parliamentary democracies tend to be more flexible.  The US has pulled off a Presidential democracy, but not without major problems.  We did have a civil war after all.
US made it through on the strength of strong tradition preventing the fatal weaknesses of our system from materializing.  Without the traditions holding the system together, problems fester indefinitely without resolving.

If we had the system from the begnining, why wouldn't traditions protect it has well?

As I pointed out in the civil war statement, traditions haven't always protected us.  Sometimes traditions have been detrimental, that's why it was so hard to make lynching a federal crime.  Trump is an example of someone who has no use for traditions, for good or ill.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2017, 04:52:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2017, 10:53:43 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 11, 2017, 10:13:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2017, 10:11:47 PM
Parliamentary democracies tend to be more flexible.  The US has pulled off a Presidential democracy, but not without major problems.  We did have a civil war after all.
US made it through on the strength of strong tradition preventing the fatal weaknesses of our system from materializing.  Without the traditions holding the system together, problems fester indefinitely without resolving.

If we had the system from the begnining, why wouldn't traditions protect it has well?

As I pointed out in the civil war statement, traditions haven't always protected us.  Sometimes traditions have been detrimental, that's why it was so hard to make lynching a federal crime.  Trump is an example of someone who has no use for traditions, for good or ill.

Depending on the size of the Parliament, he might not be PM here.  (That's assuming no butterfly effect until now)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2017, 01:26:39 PM
I think parliamentary majorities have too much power to work well here. Our checks and balances are too integral to our system.

On the other hand having MPs head departments would annoy those who like to constantly bitch about the power of 'unelected bureaucrats' whenever they don't get their way on something.

Yeah, you might end up with government that functions.  The terror!

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2017, 08:51:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2017, 01:26:39 PM

Yeah, you might end up with government that functions.  The terror!

You're being sarcastic, but our whole system is set up to limit the power of the government, especially the Federal government. 

Maximus

Quote from: dps on June 13, 2017, 11:56:50 AM
You're being sarcastic, but our whole system is set up to limit the power of the government, especially the Federal government.
Which it hasn't done. Instead it has limited the effectiveness of the government.

dps

Quote from: Maximus on June 13, 2017, 11:58:35 AM
Quote from: dps on June 13, 2017, 11:56:50 AM
Which it hasn't done. Instead it has limited the effectiveness of the government.

I'll live with the ineffectiveness as long as it limits the power.  I much prefer the model of human and civil rights we have here to that they have in the UK.  I'll grant that I would be happier if the government's power were even more limited.