Trains, Banks and Public/Private Ownership - Prev.Predict UK Gen.Election Result

Started by mongers, June 04, 2017, 05:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be the size of Theresa May's majority in the Commons

150+ MPs
0 (0%)
101-149
0 (0%)
81-100
2 (5.9%)
51-80
4 (11.8%)
31-50
6 (17.6%)
16-30
5 (14.7%)
1-15
2 (5.9%)
Zero - (Even number of MPs)
1 (2.9%)
Minority conservative government
9 (26.5%)
Labour and other parties coalition
2 (5.9%)
Labour majority government
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Josquius

Quote from: dps on June 13, 2017, 07:07:30 PM
What, exactly, is integrated ticketing and why is a lack of it a problem?

You want to go from a point in the west of town to a point in the north of town.
There is no direct bus between the two.
What you have to do is take a bus to the centre and then catch another bus to the north.
Under the current system this might require buying two separate tickets for two separate companies. It might require walking to a totally different bus station operated by the other company.
With integrated systems you generally just get your ticket that lasts for a certain amount of time/zones and off you go.

In Newcastle this is a particularly galling problem as the Metro was designed to be the centre of an integrated transport system. Many stations around the edge of the central urban area are at bus stations. The design was you'd take your bus from the rural towns to these edge stations and then jump on a metro to go to where you want to go in the centre, thus reducing traffic in the centre and avoiding duplication of routes.
...but then things were deregulated.

Work is under way to try and sort this a little it seems.
http://www.citymetric.com/transport/bus-services-bill-could-help-transform-transport-through-better-data-2595
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Should Sherman had destroyed more, or less of the railroad infrastructure in the South?

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 14, 2017, 03:46:46 AM
Should Sherman had destroyed more, or less of the railroad infrastructure in the South?

Probably, yes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on June 14, 2017, 03:46:46 AM

Should've leveled it like Berlin and Tokyo.  You don't see them up to their old tricks anymore, do you?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Fate on June 13, 2017, 07:57:03 PM
The poor people I know take Megabus or Boltbus. Ain't got no cash for a $200 Acela Express ticket. Those trains are all full of yuppies.

Don't forget the money to catch an Uber to/from the train station or park your Prius there long-term.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 14, 2017, 11:20:36 AM
Quote from: Fate on June 13, 2017, 07:57:03 PM
The poor people I know take Megabus or Boltbus. Ain't got no cash for a $200 Acela Express ticket. Those trains are all full of yuppies.

Don't forget the money to catch an Uber to/from the train station or park your Prius there long-term.

Unnecessary when based in Manhattan. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 14, 2017, 11:27:40 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2017, 11:21:48 AM
Unnecessary when based in Manhattan. :cool:

Only one end of that trip is in NYC. :contract:

I took a cab in DC. Was pretty cheap and didn't so clearly support sexual harassment and discrimination.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Tyr on June 14, 2017, 03:24:30 AM
Quote from: dps on June 13, 2017, 07:07:30 PM
What, exactly, is integrated ticketing and why is a lack of it a problem?

You want to go from a point in the west of town to a point in the north of town.
There is no direct bus between the two.
What you have to do is take a bus to the centre and then catch another bus to the north.
Under the current system this might require buying two separate tickets for two separate companies. It might require walking to a totally different bus station operated by the other company.
With integrated systems you generally just get your ticket that lasts for a certain amount of time/zones and off you go.

In Newcastle this is a particularly galling problem as the Metro was designed to be the centre of an integrated transport system. Many stations around the edge of the central urban area are at bus stations. The design was you'd take your bus from the rural towns to these edge stations and then jump on a metro to go to where you want to go in the centre, thus reducing traffic in the centre and avoiding duplication of routes.
...but then things were deregulated.

Work is under way to try and sort this a little it seems.
http://www.citymetric.com/transport/bus-services-bill-could-help-transform-transport-through-better-data-2595

Do you actually have to buy a physical ticket and then hand it to the driver?  In my experience, with most local buses you just give the driver cash (and you better have exact change, 'cause they don't give change) though if you ride regularly you can get a monthly pass or the like.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on June 14, 2017, 05:12:32 PM
Cash on buses? Sounds like 10 years ago.

Probably it's been longer than that since I took a bus.  Back when we lived in Charleston, aa didn't drive, so we only had one car and I had to take the bus a couple of times when the car was in the shop.  Once we moved down here, she got her driver's license, and we've had 2 cars, so we've been able to get by when one of the needs work without resorting to taking a bus.  Which is a good thing, because while Charleston had pretty good bus service, the bus service here is a joke.

The Minsky Moment

New Jersey transit buses accepts cash for buses inbound to NYC.  But not leaving NYC.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 14, 2017, 06:01:59 PM
New Jersey transit buses accepts cash for buses inbound to NYC.  But not leaving NYC.

Kurt Russell will be upset.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 14, 2017, 06:01:59 PM

Isn't that a city toll thing?  I seem to recall the bridges costing an mortgage payment, but just one way.  Sort of a "roaches pay driving in, but they don't pay driving out" thing?

jimmy olsen

Is this the general UK thread now?

That apartment fire looked horrific. Do they have any idea what caused it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point