Trains, Banks and Public/Private Ownership - Prev.Predict UK Gen.Election Result

Started by mongers, June 04, 2017, 05:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be the size of Theresa May's majority in the Commons

150+ MPs
0 (0%)
101-149
0 (0%)
81-100
2 (5.9%)
51-80
4 (11.8%)
31-50
6 (17.6%)
16-30
5 (14.7%)
1-15
2 (5.9%)
Zero - (Even number of MPs)
1 (2.9%)
Minority conservative government
9 (26.5%)
Labour and other parties coalition
2 (5.9%)
Labour majority government
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on June 12, 2017, 05:53:05 PM
Well I think the discussion about predicting the results are over and it's now OffT'ed to well rehearsed private vs public ownership/operation theme, so could a mod remind me how to close the thread. And maybe some one can split off or start a thread for that idealogical discussion?

:lol:

This thread is running like a well-oiled machine.

You can put a time limit on how long a poll remains open, so it may be worth considering in the future?

Jacob

Quote from: fromtia on June 12, 2017, 06:03:46 PM
Well I think the discussion about predicting the results are over and it's now OffT'ed to well rehearsed private vs public ownership/operation theme, so could a mod remind me how to close the thread. And maybe some one can split off or start a thread for that idealogical discussion?

No it hasn't. I noticed some genius voted for "minority conservative government" yesterday. Keep the thread up its a powerful telescope into future political developments apparently.

I've locked the poll as a show of respect to mongers.

fromtia

Quote from: Jacob on June 12, 2017, 06:17:09 PM

No! Do not tamper with the orb of knowing!
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on June 12, 2017, 06:17:09 PM
Quote from: fromtia on June 12, 2017, 06:03:46 PM

No it hasn't. I noticed some genius voted for "minority conservative government" yesterday. Keep the thread up its a powerful telescope into future political developments apparently.

Uncuck yourself, Manlet
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 12, 2017, 05:35:43 PM
I can't say I've ever taken the overground but isn't the entire point of it that it's (much of) London's suburban train services brought under TFL?

I don't know. I think wiki describes it that way but given that many/most of its stops are not in suburbs (just often not in zone 1), I'm not sure that's fair. It also isn't really run like a train service but rather more like the tube and it's aboveground parts.

However, that did inspire me to check and the Overground system is actually run as a franchise! :D

TFL Rail is what they're calling the first part of Crossrail they've opened.

Apparently that part is also run as a franchise by a company based in Hong Kong. And guess what? That company will be running all of Crossrail too!

Oh and for good measure, DLR is run the same way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Hey have you heard of Languish? You know that place where every thread gets derailed out grows its original purpose?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

This is the second time in recent memory that a UK prime minister had gambled on an unnecessary referendum/election and lost.  Perhaps they are not as smart as I thought  :ph34r:

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2017, 02:19:18 AM
I can't say I've ever taken the overground but isn't the entire point of it that it's (much of) London's suburban train services brought under TFL?

I don't know. I think wiki describes it that way but given that many/most of its stops are not in suburbs (just often not in zone 1), I'm not sure that's fair. It also isn't really run like a train service but rather more like the tube and it's aboveground parts.

However, that did inspire me to check and the Overground system is actually run as a franchise! :D

Apparently that part is also run as a franchise by a company based in Hong Kong. And guess what? That company will be running all of Crossrail too!

I've no idea about crossrail. I hope not. I was under the impression it was pretty much  to be ran like part of the underground.

On the overground acting like the tube though... That's the way good railway services operate. The UK with its idea that taking a train is a big deal like taking a plane is odd. In Japan and Switzerland trains pretty much do operate like nationwide metros.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2017, 02:20:27 AM

Hey have you heard of Languish? You know that place where every thread gets derailed out grows its original purpose?

If Languish were state-owned, that would stop happening.  Nationalize Languish Now!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 13, 2017, 04:48:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2017, 02:19:18 AM

I've no idea about crossrail. I hope not. I was under the impression it was pretty much  to be ran like part of the underground.

On the overground acting like the tube though... That's the way good railway services operate. The UK with its idea that taking a train is a big deal like taking a plane is odd. In Japan and Switzerland trains pretty much do operate like nationwide metros.

German trains are pretty good and they aren't quite the same as taking a metro.

Anyway, let's not distract from the point where you noted London as how you wish trains would be run. The difference for London trains isn't that they are nationalized (as the services are indeed contracted out to private companies) but rather than TfL does a pretty decent job of regulating the services that fall under its purview.

Gups

The difference between the TfL model and the national model is accurately described here.

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2015/orange-invades-all-change-for-londons-new-overground-lines/

The model TfL opted to take for the operation of their newly acquired Franchise was different from that used by the DfT. In part this was in order to gain the greater control and synchronicity needed for the orbital. It was also, however, an attempt to try and tackle some of the perceived problems with the franchising system mentioned above – the "buck passing and quagmires" that many felt plagued the system.

The [Overground] would be operated as a "Concession" not a Franchise. Network Rail would obviously manage the infrastructure and someone else would operate the services. TfL, however, would set the fares, decide service levels, procure and manage the Rolling Stock and basically take a more "hands-on" approach to daily decision making. The concession would arguably be closer to the way in which the DLR was operated rather than a traditional franchise – not so much a case of setting boundaries and then taking a hands-off approach, as setting ongoing goals and managing their achievement.

This would limit the freedom within which the chosen operator could work, but that operator would get a rather large payoff in return – unlike with existing National Rail franchisees, Tfl would absorb the overwhelming majority of the revenue risk – up to 90% of it. This made the Operator's books much easier to manage and their profit margins clearer, a worthwhile payoff for the tighter working restrictions.

mongers

Are these traditionalist Northern Ireland types also bringing the correct goatskin when they come over?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Solmyr