News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Political action and the Trump Presidency

Started by Oexmelin, May 30, 2017, 02:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you doing something politcally in response to the Trump presidency?

Yes, through donations (to the Democrats, to non-crazy Republicans, the ACLU, the SPLC, etc.)
4 (14.8%)
Yes, through active militancy within one of the above.
1 (3.7%)
Yes, through participation in local events (demonstrations, townhall meeting) or phone calls
3 (11.1%)
Yes, amping up previous political participation.
1 (3.7%)
Yes. I support Trump with time and money even though I emphatically did not vote for him
1 (3.7%)
No. I kept my active political participation at the same level.
7 (25.9%)
No. Things go away by themselves if we wait long enough. Just like cancer.
5 (18.5%)
So Sad!
5 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 27

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 30, 2017, 07:28:12 PM
Quote from: citizen k on May 30, 2017, 07:21:43 PM
According to Oex, having a conversation is militancy. :huh:

If it's Thanksgiving dinner, it's not.

If it's something you have organized, opened to a public you did not know before hand, with the express purpose of discussing political matters, then yes. I think it warrants the label of "militant".

I don't know, the last Thanksgiving diner at my aunt's house with other guests who were Trumpists and Climate Change deniers may have brought out a bit of militancy in me  :)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

I have a very hard time thinking of my time in the College Republicans as militant.  Militant binge drinking, maybe. I was very militant about getting laid.  But that's about it.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

I live in a place where the students get militant at the drop of a hat.  They march through campus in planned marches, spontaneous marches, and sometimes just weird gatherings.  The night Trump was elected 1500 or so were downtown haranguing anyone who could hear (and this being Santa Cruz after 10pm downtown those who heard were whacked out junkies and crazy homeless types - sometimes both at once).

They have closed entrances to campus twice, marched down the main road a couple of times, occupied the main administration building, and still found time for their 420 celebration.  They are Bernie Bros and Girls (and, I hasten to add any other gendered title), anarchists, left wing stoners, people following along just to get laid, and people who just need to make sure their special grievance is heard.

The Chancellor had to send out an email that strikes, road blockages, building occupations, and random gatherings can and do disrupt the main purpose of the campus - which, supposedly, is teaching and research.

Frankly, I may be militanted-out.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Camerus

I have deep faith in the robustness of America's institutions and political culture. I don't expect significant challenges to democracy in my lifetime. While I deplore his idiocy, I'm not troubled by it in an existential sense.

There's evidence that suggests that many of the ideas that governed the West since WW2 and which had a second coming after 1990 are being seriously debated for the first time in most people's memory. But that in itself doesn't constitute a threat to democracy. Although I will admit what concerns me most would be the wealth gap.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on May 30, 2017, 07:48:48 PM
Frankly, I may be militanted-out.

Dude, college. They're supposed to be stupid, that's why they're there.  To learn something.

Ed Anger

I have erected a "no politics" zone around my property. I also gave to the human fund.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 30, 2017, 08:06:01 PM
I have erected a "no politics" zone around my property. I also gave to the human fund.

Money for people!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

11B4V

I guess I have a different meaning of militant. Show far I see no militancy here.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

PDH

We had a gun shooting scare a while back.  It turned out it was just some students popping balloons.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Not enough Mosin-Nagants in the picture.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy