News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Political action and the Trump Presidency

Started by Oexmelin, May 30, 2017, 02:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you doing something politcally in response to the Trump presidency?

Yes, through donations (to the Democrats, to non-crazy Republicans, the ACLU, the SPLC, etc.)
4 (14.8%)
Yes, through active militancy within one of the above.
1 (3.7%)
Yes, through participation in local events (demonstrations, townhall meeting) or phone calls
3 (11.1%)
Yes, amping up previous political participation.
1 (3.7%)
Yes. I support Trump with time and money even though I emphatically did not vote for him
1 (3.7%)
No. I kept my active political participation at the same level.
7 (25.9%)
No. Things go away by themselves if we wait long enough. Just like cancer.
5 (18.5%)
So Sad!
5 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 30, 2017, 03:39:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2017, 03:18:39 PM
But you said yourself that the technological is political did you not? Our way of life is coming to an end sometime in the next century. I think that is certain one way or another.

Yes. And who carries that message? Who discusses the technological future in political terms? So far, it has been mostly billionaire tech gurus, and their political outlook is not the most appealing.

Well when you are the only person discussing something the discussion does tend to go in the direction you favor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

I am, and always shall be, an interested bystander in all political matters, foreign or domestic. 

dps

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 30, 2017, 02:10:01 PM
I am curious and worried.

I once described Languish as mildly hostile to political militancy (but certainly not political ideology). I may have been wrong. So, that's for my curiosity.

I think you are largely right about that, depending on how one defines militancy.  I would agree with what I think Valmy is saying--that a high level of militancy would destroy or at least damage democratic institutions.  Valmy, do you think that is a fair way to characterize your position?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2017, 05:56:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2017, 04:12:31 PM
I joined Indivisible.  It's like Languish, but I get a cookie in the end.

Tell me more about this cookie giving place.

It was some ladies living room.  Everyone was older than I was, and they griped about Trump.  I got a cookie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: dps on May 30, 2017, 06:09:40 PM
Valmy, do you think that is a fair way to characterize your position?

Yep. There is already a tendency for both sides to demonize each other as evil with nefarious intentions. Militancy only makes them more fearful of the other. I would rather fight with words and votes rather than action at this point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2017, 06:11:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2017, 05:56:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2017, 04:12:31 PM
I joined Indivisible.  It's like Languish, but I get a cookie in the end.

Tell me more about this cookie giving place.

It was some ladies living room.  Everyone was older than I was, and they griped about Trump.  I got a cookie.

:cool:

That's a plus by my book, Raz.

You did well to have to deal with so many olds, we're a funny bunch.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

I am jealous. Nobody has ever given me a cookie after griping about Trump.

Oh Raz I was proud to back you up on the St. Louis traitor monuments on Facebook. Missouri did not even secede yet somehow shooting other Missourians was done for 'State's Rights'.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2017, 05:57:23 PM
Well when you are the only person discussing something the discussion does tend to go in the direction you favor.

I don't think Silicon Valley VCs and their fans are the only ones discussing the technological future, but they're the ones whose point of view tend to dominate the public discourse.

Here's a different point of view re: self-driving cars: https://www.treehugger.com/cars/eric-reguly-how-self-driving-cars-will-kill-cities-not-save-them.html

Valmy

That makes no sense. The only reason people use bikes and walk around in urban centers is because they cannot drive?

Also sprawl happens because of unaffordable housing.

I also do not really understand the panic. Why would safer and cleaner transportation be a disaster for cities? They like road deaths and pollution?

QuoteEven in the centre of big cities like New York, Toronto, London and Paris, you often have to walk 200 or 300 metres to the nearest metro or bus stop. It's easier to have a car come to your doorstep. But that would clog secondary streets. It would also make you fatter—various studies have shown that public transportation promotes better health.

But drunk driving has zero impact on health? And sure it is super fast and easy for a car to navigate the streets of New York to come to your doorstep.

garbon

Well that site is called tree hugger...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2017, 06:12:16 PM
Yep. There is already a tendency for both sides to demonize each other as evil with nefarious intentions. Militancy only makes them more fearful of the other. I would rather fight with words and votes rather than action at this point.

Interesting. This is exactly opposite to my point of view. Or perhaps I have a different definition of militancy. To me, "fighting with words" has little effect when people already only frequent venues, or towns, or counties that are so politically homogeneous. Unless you organize a non-partisan townhall meeting, or an Enlightenment salon, or some other conversation with live poeple - but then, I count that as militancy. On the other hand, people sharing conservative memes on FB, or consuming hours of trash radio while stuck in traffic can make people fanatics, but not militants.

I think overemphasizing vote has led to an impoverishment of the notion of democracy: if one keeps voting, and nothing changes, or none of the things that have been promised, change, why bother? So has the hostility towards direct action: it tends to overvalue convenience to the detriment of the body politic. The meaning of citizenship has also atrophied: notice the prevalence of the vocabulary of "I am a taxpayer" to establish legitimacy of a political position.

One can certainly be a fanatic
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Americans don't like "militancy."  Militancy smacks of European radicalism, and Americans don't do strikes, demonstrations, mobs, etc. It's simply not polite and fucks up traffic.

citizen k

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2017, 07:19:40 PM
Americans don't like "militancy."  Militancy smacks of European radicalism, and Americans don't do strikes, demonstrations, mobs, etc. It's simply not polite and fucks up traffic.

According to Oex, having a conversation is militancy. :huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: citizen k on May 30, 2017, 07:21:43 PM

Yeah, he's adorable like that.  :hug:

Oexmelin

Quote from: citizen k on May 30, 2017, 07:21:43 PM

If it's Thanksgiving dinner, it's not.

If it's something you have organized, opened to a public you did not know before hand, with the express purpose of discussing political matters, then yes. I think it warrants the label of "militant".
Que le grand cric me croque !