News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Foootball 2017

Started by grumbler, April 01, 2017, 07:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I think Rich Rod might end up owing Kalil Tate quite a bit of money.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

I hate to say this, 'cause I'm not a fan of the SEC to start with, and on top of that the conference isn't as strong overall as it has been recently, but at this point if Alabama and Georgia are both unbeaten and meet in the conference championship game, there's a good chance both of them get into the playoffs;  it's becoming more likely that there may not be any other conference that has any undefeated teams, and if Georgia's only lose is against Alabama in the SEC championship, they may very well get in ahead of a 1-loss Big 12 or Pac-12 champion.

alfred russel

It seems unlikely there will be a 1 loss PAC 12 champ and is far from certain there will be a big 12 one either. Or acc or big 10, fwiw.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on October 15, 2017, 08:45:31 AM
It seems unlikely there will be a 1 loss PAC 12 champ and is far from certain there will be a big 12 one either. Or acc or big 10, fwiw.

The PAC-12 will absolutely have a champion with at least 1 loss, the Big 12 will unless TCU runs the table, and the ACC will unless Miami runs the table.  Unless you mean that those conferences will likely end up with champions with more than one loss, which, yeah, is certainly possible, but would only make it more likely that a Georgia team who's only loss was to Alabama in the SEC championship game would get into the playoffs.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on October 15, 2017, 09:23:03 AM

The PAC-12 will absolutely have a champion with at least 1 loss, the Big 12 will unless TCU runs the table, and the ACC will unless Miami runs the table.  Unless you mean that those conferences will likely end up with champions with more than one loss, which, yeah, is certainly possible, but would only make it more likely that a Georgia team who's only loss was to Alabama in the SEC championship game would get into the playoffs.

I meant those conferences may not have 1 loss champs because they have champs with 2 or more losses.

Just looking at the Pac 12, there are no undefeated teams and just 3 one loss teams (the Washington schools and USC). USC was a two point conversion away from probably losing to Utah last night and the Washington schools have the Apple Cup. All of them have almost half the Pac 12 schedule to come and USC has Notre Dame on the road.

Wisconsin may not pick up two losses because they are undefeated and the west is absolute shit (though they still have Michigan), but if the east wins the championship game, the round robin of death between Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State is still to come, and only Michigan has played Michigan State.

I think we get at least 1 two loss team in the playoff this year.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

derspiess

The Washington-Arizona State game was worth staying up for :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on October 15, 2017, 09:45:50 AM
Quote from: dps on October 15, 2017, 09:23:03 AM

I meant those conferences may not have 1 loss champs because they have champs with 2 or more losses.
<snip>

Ah, OK.

QuoteI think we get at least 1 two loss team in the playoff this year.

There's a good chance.  At this point, I don't expect the PAC-12 to have any teams with less than 2 losses, and there's at least a reasonable chance that no Power 5 conference except the SEC has any teams with less than 2 losses.

Let's see:

ACC:  We have Miami undefeated, and Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and NC State all at 1 loss.  Miami still has to play both Virginia and Virginia Tech, and the 2 teams from Virginia still have to play each other, while Clemson and NC State also have a game against each other.  It's possible that Miami will win out, but in addition to UVa and VT and whoever they might play in the conference title game, they still have Norte Dame on their schedule.  NC State also has a game with Norte Dame.  Assuming no more Syracuse-over-Clemson upsets, and that Clemson's QB is healthy, the most likely outcome, I think, is that Miami loses to Norte Dame but wins the UVa and VT games, while Clemson wins out and beats Miami in the title game, giving the ACC a 1-loss champion.  But it's certainly very possible that the ACC will have a champion with 2 (or more) losses.  Just to make this really crazy, Clemson can win out the rest of the regular season and not play in the conference championship--if NC State loses to both Clemson and another conference foe, and Syracuse wins out, then Syracuse wins the division and goes to the title game (I'm sure the ACC powers-that-be love that scenario.)

Big 10:  I'm not even going to go through all the possibilities, but the most likely outcome IMO is that both Ohio State and Wisconsin win out (if you'd asked me a week ago, I would have guessed that Wisconsin would lose to Michigan;  now, not so much), and Ohio State wins the title game, giving the conference a 1-loss champion.  But there are still a lot of reasonable scenarios that end up with a 2-or-more loss Big 10 champ.

Big 12:  Baylor and Kansas suck, but other than that, who knows what's going to go on in this conference?  I for sure wouldn't bet on TCU to win out, but they could.  Figure a 1-loss champ, but it could easily be someone with a worse record than that.

PAC 10:  Already guaranteed to have a champion with at least 1 loss, and the conference is probably balanced enough that no on here is likely to win out the rest of the regular season, so figure a conference champ with 2 losses at best.

Nobody outside the Power 5 is getting into the playoffs barring some really crazy stuff happening.

So I figure we'll end up with Alabama unbeaten, the ACC, Big 10, and Big 12 all with 1-loss champions, so a Georgia that only lost to Alabama in the SEC title game probably doesn't get into the playoffs.  But that's only the most likely outcome--there are plenty of other, almost as likely outcomes where Georgia would get in.  And of course, there's no guarantee that Georgia makes it to the SEC championship unscathed.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on October 15, 2017, 12:40:57 PM

Nobody outside the Power 5 is getting into the playoffs barring some really crazy stuff happening.

Not saying this is wrong...but there are a couple of potentially interesting non power five teams...

USF and UCF are both undefeated and ranked 17 and 20. Both are just demolishing people and play each other at the end of the year.

Notre Dame probably won't run the table, but if they do, they will have beaten Michigan State, USC, an NC State team that looks really good right now, Miami, and Stanford. Their only loss would be a one point loss to Georgia, who is currently #3. All those teams I just named are either currently in first place in their divisions within power five conferences, or unbeaten in conference play.

derspiess

WVU re-entered the rankings-- again :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Well that was one hell of a game.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

it was on way past my bedtime.

dps

Whoa.  WVU just went from 20 down to 6 down in about minute.  Blocked punt for TD, then a pick-6.

MadBurgerMaker

Horns beat Baylor to get to .500 and keep those scumbags with a 0 in the win column.  The offense screwed around a lot and didn't run it up as much as they should have (for example: 3x turnovers, one of them on downs due to a screwup by the punter, that gave them the ball inside the Baylor ~30 and only 3 points), but I'll take 38-7. :punk:

katmai

Bama, Penn St and Georgia, who is 4th team as of right now?

edit: and of course soon as i post this The Ohio State scores to keep it interesting in Columbus.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

Wisconsin.

E:  Well presumably you're meaning now that the Toads lost.

E2:  Haha Ohio State gonna win with that first down unless they totally fuck up.