News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

High school re-unions - yay or nay?

Started by Barrister, March 01, 2017, 11:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2017, 12:25:47 PM
I'm 1600 km away - I'm not organizing nothing.

So P5 - was it worthwhile to meet up with the ole high school gang?

Yes, for infrastructure building.  They are now ready to follow me if I call.

Barrister

Quote from: Phillip V on March 01, 2017, 12:31:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2017, 12:25:47 PM
I'm 1600 km away - I'm not organizing nothing.

So P5 - was it worthwhile to meet up with the ole high school gang?

Yes, for infrastructure building.  They are now ready to follow me if I call.

How very cryptic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

I only went to a primary school reunion, which was not at any particular milestone, just whenever some guys decided to make some calls and arrange dinner for a big group. I was not really super stoked on it on theory but the guy who did most of the legwork was one of my best friends in school and our mothers still hang together from time to time (they just went for coffee together this morning, in fact), so I couldn't say no. It was definitely worthwile, though, for the first half an hour or so all of us just couldn't stop grinning, and we recognized each other easily even if we had changed a lot since then (we left school at 13). Definitely worthwile.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on March 01, 2017, 02:09:58 PM
I only went to a primary school reunion, which was not at any particular milestone, just whenever some guys decided to make some calls and arrange dinner for a big group. I was not really super stoked on it on theory but the guy who did most of the legwork was one of my best friends in school and our mothers still hang together from time to time (they just went for coffee together this morning, in fact), so I couldn't say no. It was definitely worthwile, though, for the first half an hour or so all of us just couldn't stop grinning, and we recognized each other easily even if we had changed a lot since then (we left school at 13). Definitely worthwile.

You know, I would totally be all over a middle school re-union.  I was with the same group of 30 kids from grades 5-8, and made some deep friendships.

I've tried to look up a few of them online and on Facebook, but with little to no success. :(

Grey Fox

I see people I went to primary school almost everyday when I go get my daughter from primary school.

:hmm:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2017, 02:16:39 PM

You know, I would totally be all over a middle school re-union.  I was with the same group of 30 kids from grades 5-8, and made some deep friendships.

I've tried to look up a few of them online and on Facebook, but with little to no success. :(

Yeah, similar to me. I spent every school year from 3rd grade to 8th grade with roughly the same group of people, while in High School I was in a different group every year and it was only for 4 years, so you don't develop the same kind of bonds.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 01, 2017, 02:23:50 PM
I see people I went to primary school almost everyday when I go get my daughter from primary school.

:hmm:

Does your daughter go to primary school to the same place that you went to?

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2017, 02:16:39 PM

So how deep are those relationships? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2017, 11:11:40 AM
I can see that the friendly and gregarious nature of languishites strikes again. :lol:

I don't see the point. Anyone from my schooling years that I want to stay in touch with, I have. And likewise, anyone who even tangentially wanted to stay in touch with me, either has or has me on fb. I was in my hometown during my 10 year highschool reunion and skipped it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2017, 02:29:53 PM
I can see that the friendly and gregarious nature of languishites strikes again. :lol:

I don't see the point. Anyone from my schooling years that I want to stay in touch with, I have. And likewise, anyone who even tangentially wanted to stay in touch with me, either has or has me on fb. I was in my hometown during my 10 year highschool reunion and skipped it.

Not so much that I want to "stay in touch", I'm just curious what everyone is up to.

Razgovory

Nay.  I hated most of those people then, I don't think being older and fatter has helped things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

I don't go to any of my high school reunions, but it's interesting to see on Facebook how many people who either hated each other back in the day or just hung out in different groups act like BFFs now.  I think it's because they are the ones who stuck around the area and decided to huddle together.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2017, 02:38:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2017, 02:29:53 PM

Not so much that I want to "stay in touch", I'm just curious what everyone is up to.

How friendly and gregarious. :P

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Never been to one. AFAIK none has been organized.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.