Still Mooing
0 (0%)
Charcoal-y
0 (0%)
Don't eat/like steaks
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Barrister

I remember going to an American-themed restaurant in Krakow with a bunch of Languishites in 2008. Everyone was amused. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 01, 2017, 02:21:52 PM
Over here in my neck of the woods steakhouses and grills, if they do have a theme, it's Argentinian/Uruguayan, but that's mostly because they're run by people from there. Not a single US themed steakhouse that I'm aware (although we do have a diner style chain with burgers, milkshakes and waitresses in bright pink and blue 50s uniforms).

Same here, really. Argies rule Catalan steakhouses - and besides the ones ran by people from there, we do have fakes. We also have a modicum of American-themed ones.

They recently opened a 1950s-themed diner in downtown Barcelona. Looks totally straight off American Graffiti. Decent food, too.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 01, 2017, 12:00:16 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2017, 11:39:20 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2017, 11:33:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2017, 03:00:00 PM
You could also cook it like DG does:  Poorly done.
:mad: What the fuck, man?

A phrase you coined.  You were posting how about cooking a steak and claimed to have discovered a new form:  Poorly Done.
Oh.  :blush:

No Sweat, Raz is here to remember for you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Argentine restaurants up here tend to be fairly high-end places, plus they're also rare.  In Miami there are several, and range from places we wouldn't step foot in to places we can barely afford.  The ones in Little BA are right about in the sweet spot of affordability and quality.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 03:04:12 PM
Argentine restaurants up here tend to be fairly high-end places, plus they're also rare.  In Miami there are several, and range from places we wouldn't step foot in to places we can barely afford.  The ones in Little BA are right about in the sweet spot of affordability and quality.

Here you find Argie places in all price ranges - but that's because we have so many Argentinian immigrants and they aren't all gonna drop 40€ for a good asado.

2 of the best steakhouse places in Barcelona are indeed Argentinian, and can cost you a pretty penny since they even fly the meat from there. But there's plenty of more affordable places with good steaks.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

There's a steakhouse in town I like where you role play as Valmy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Also, one of the most reputable steakhouses in here is Scottish. Is there a tradition of that?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2017, 11:47:53 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 01, 2017, 11:45:12 AM
Hey, I take Yi's side here.  It's worth pondering why all of a sudden it seemed necessary to rebranding a huge chain based on a vague national stereotype to get Americans eating at the same Sizzlers they'd been going to for years.

They didn't rebrand shit.  Some guys thought the concept would work, they opened a restaurant in Florida, and the concept took off like wildfire.

:rolleyes:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2017, 03:13:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 03:04:12 PM

Here you find Argie places in all price ranges - but that's because we have so many Argentinian immigrants and they aren't all gonna drop 40€ for a good asado.

2 of the best steakhouse places in Barcelona are indeed Argentinian, and can cost you a pretty penny since they even fly the meat from there. But there's plenty of more affordable places with good steaks.

There's a hoity-toity Argentinian place here that does that, bringing the meat directly from the pampa or somesuch. They charge a pretty penny but it's very good, my parents like to go there like once or twice per year, mostly for celebrations. The one we go much more often to is run by Uruguayans and it's much more "proletarian", so to speak, but also quite nice, and we go there a lot for family lunches.

Capetan Mihali

For whatever reason, it seems like Brazilian steakhouses became the fad in the US, much moreso than any other country (except Australia in the form of Outback, of course).
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 01, 2017, 04:49:24 PM
For whatever reason, it seems like Brazilian steakhouses became the fad in the US, much moreso than any other country (except Australia in the form of Outback, of course).

Yeah, Brazillian steakhouses are a thing up here as well.

Unlike Outback though they do that kind of "all the meat you can eat" style service in Brazil.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 11:52:13 AM
It's interesting to me that the first thing you see on their web site is a half rack of ribs.  That suggests to me this is not exactly home style Australian cooking.

I don't think Outhouse Steakback is supposed to be an Australian restaurant.  The whole Aussie thing is just a theme.

Mihali is the first I've seen to believe that it is a rebranding.  Maybe he's eaten too many Sizzler "steaks."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Not a fan of steak.

If I'm going to eat beef I prefer a burger, but really in general I'm more of a poultry fan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point