Charcoal-y
0 (0%)
Don't eat/like steaks
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

viper37

Quote from: sbr on February 28, 2017, 11:27:57 PM
Anecdote warning!!

I've never worked in a restaurant in China.

I have worked in many restaurants in the US, including at least one high end steak house, and an improperly cooked steak going out would be a big deal.

Most often iy is a misunderstanding about what the terms mean to different people.
nearly all the restaurants I have gone to in Quebec had a tendancy to undercook the steak, and according to the chart in post #1, I am right on my definitions :)
Ordering a medium steak gives me a rare steak, so I usually order it well done to get a medium/medium well.
I think there's only one place in Quebec city I can order a medium and get it medium and it's not even a steakhouse.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Yi takes steakhouse themeing VERY SERIOUSLY.

Eddie Teach

A Cali themed steakhouse is pretty daffy though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2017, 11:10:27 AM

If very means more than zero, sure.  Why the hell would you open a Malibu Steak House or a Plymouth Rock Steak House?  What's the association for Spaniards?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 11:17:03 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2017, 11:10:27 AM

If very means more than zero, sure.  Why the hell would you open a Malibu Steak House or a Plymouth Rock Steak House?  What's the association for Spaniards?

Surfers, Hollywood, American Grafitti... It's not supposed to be ethnologically accurate.

The NE thing is probably because a lot of steakhouses around here borrow the Americanized beer hall look that I saw in a lot of steakhouses in NYC/Boston. Like Luger's.

MadBurgerMaker

I don't know about Plymouth Rock Steak House (sounds boring), but a Malibu thing would probably work for a mainstream chain type place.  Throw some beach/California shit on the walls.  Put a California surfer stereotype voiceover on the commercials.  User Cali stereotype language on the menu in some places.

You have just created the Malibu version of Outback steakhouse.

celedhring

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 01, 2017, 11:27:54 AM

I don't know about Plymouth Rock Steak House (sounds boring), but a Malibu thing would probably work for a mainstream chain type place.  Serve steak and fish.  Beach/California shit on the walls.  Put a California surfer stereotype voiceover on the commercials. 

You have just created the Malibu version of Outback steakhouse.

That's pretty much it really. You lean either on that or on Hollywood with lots of movie posters and photos of famous actors eating steaks.

Restaurant theme-ing is tacky and cheap. News at eleven.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 10:09:12 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 10:06:48 AM
I've never understood the point of an Australian themed steak house.

The point is it sells.

One time in a previous job we had a liaison from an Australian company come visit our site.  First place we took him was Outback, just to see his reaction.  Thought he was gonna swallow his tongue.

Elaborate, please. Never been to an outback. Don't think their are any in Quebec.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 01, 2017, 11:33:49 AM
Elaborate, please. Never been to an outback. Don't think their are any in Quebec.

Just stereotypes all over the place.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2017, 11:32:02 AM
That's pretty much it really. You lean either on that or on Hollywood with lots of movie posters and photos of famous actors eating steaks.

Restaurant theme-ing is tacky and cheap. News at eleven.

Yeah.  Not a lot of (any) deep meaning to it.  It's a gimmick that they hope will sell food. 

Also, it's not like Australians don't eat steaks and an Australian steak house is some crazy unheard of thing. 

E:  Here's one: http://www.outbackjacks.com.au/menu/ 

There's a crocodile on the ceiling.

Capetan Mihali

Hey, I take Yi's side here.  It's worth pondering why all of a sudden it seemed necessary to rebranding a huge chain based on a vague national stereotype to get Americans eating at the same Sizzlers they'd been going to for years.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 10:58:34 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 10:51:47 AM
Yi demands Aborigines playing didgeridoos in the waiting area.

The only thing I'm asking is that the American consumer ask himself what the fuck Australia has to do with steaks.  I would be saying the same thing if they opened up a Scottish Sushi chain or an Egyptian fried chicken chain.

You know, sushi is pretty strongly linked to Japanese culture, but fried chicken is fairly ubiquitous.  I'm pretty sure that because chicken is Halal, fried chicken is popular in the middle east.  You could totally get away with doing Egyptian Fried Chicken.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 01, 2017, 11:45:12 AM
Hey, I take Yi's side here.  It's worth pondering why all of a sudden it seemed necessary to rebranding a huge chain based on a vague national stereotype to get Americans eating at the same Sizzlers they'd been going to for years.

They didn't rebrand shit.  Some guys thought the concept would work, they opened a restaurant in Florida, and the concept took off like wildfire.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 10:33:43 AM
Sure, but it's not like the waitrons dress up in bush hats, or they have Vietnamese you can curb stomp between courses.

:lol:  "I'll have the Rule .303 entree with the baked potato, please."

I agree with Berkut, as far as chain restaurants go, the use decent cuts of meat, and none of their other stuff ever disappointed me.