Charcoal-y
0 (0%)
Don't eat/like steaks
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 10:24:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2017, 10:22:01 AM
I can understand an Aussie theme if that is where they are sourcing their beef.  But why would a US restaurant do that?  I suppose an Australian theme seems exotic or at least more exotic than Texas?

Pretty much.  There's no shortage of Texas-themed steakhouse chains.

Yeah, no kidding. In fact, all the middle tier chains that are NOT the Outback seem to be Texas themed...

As far as the Outback, it is just the theme. It doesn't really "mean" anything. Anymore than going to Johny Rockets means you are an 50s astronaut, or going to Planet Hollywood means you will get food from Hollywood. It just defines the theme.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 10:24:27 AM
Pretty much.  There's no shortage of Texas-themed steakhouse chains.

Yeah.  There is/was a Texas themed steakhouse in Guam (Texas Roadhouse maybe?) that got real weird when they had their servers come out all cowboy-ed up (hats, chaps, etc) to...like.....line dance.   :lol:  I've never been to one here, but I'm assuming that's a thing with that particular chain vs a strange form of waitstaff abuse.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2017, 10:22:01 AM
I can understand an Aussie theme if that is where they are sourcing their beef.  But why would a US restaurant do that?  I suppose an Australian theme seems exotic or at least more exotic than Texas?

the founder really liked crocodile dundee. i think that is really the answer.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 10:20:57 AM
I can't fully answer, but ever since Crocodile Dundee Americans have just loved that over the top kitschy faux-Australian theme.

Sure, but it's not like the waitrons dress up in bush hats, or they have Vietnamese you can curb stomp between courses.  No stuffed kangaroos and koalas. If they did like an Australian Hard Rock I could see it easier.  Australians throw shrimps on barbies and eat lamb.

The only thing I can see is Australia has an image of friendly informality.  So the hoi polloi can go eat a mid-priced steak and belch and scratch their nuts and no one will get snooty.

MadBurgerMaker

It's just a chain steakhouse with some Australian themed decor and names for menu items, man.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 10:33:43 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 10:20:57 AM
I can't fully answer, but ever since Crocodile Dundee Americans have just loved that over the top kitschy faux-Australian theme.

Sure, but it's not like the waitrons dress up in bush hats, or they have Vietnamese you can curb stomp between courses.  No stuffed kangaroos and koalas. If they did like an Australian Hard Rock I could see it easier.  Australians throw shrimps on barbies and eat lamb.

The only thing I can see is Australia has an image of friendly informality.  So the hoi polloi can go eat a mid-priced steak and belch and scratch their nuts and no one will get snooty.

I googled it, and that's pretty much it.

QuoteAll the partners needed was a theme that would give their restaurant concept a memorable identity. At the time, the 1986 movie Crocodile Dundee had recently been released and become a big hit. Despite the fact that none of the restaurant's founders had ever been to Australia, the trio decided to give their venture an Australian theme. In this way, they would be tapping into the traditional 'western' association with steak, but with a twist. 'Most Australians are fun-loving and gregarious people, and very casual people,' Basham later told F & B Magazine. 'We thought, `That's exactly the kind of friendliness and atmosphere we want to have in our restaurants.' Then it was just a matter of coming up with an Australian name that worked for us. The Outback was kind of the wild, wild west of Australia. So there you go for the western theme. But instead of United States western, it's Australian western.'
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 01, 2017, 10:41:09 AM
It's just a chain steakhouse with some Australian themed decor and names for menu items, man.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I just don't understand though. Why Australia? What does that have to do with steak?

Do they only hire Australians to work there?

What does it all MEAN????

0 rows returned

derspiess

Yi demands Aborigines playing didgeridoos in the waiting area.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 10:51:47 AM

The only thing I'm asking is that the American consumer ask himself what the fuck Australia has to do with steaks.  I would be saying the same thing if they opened up a Scottish Sushi chain or an Egyptian fried chicken chain.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 10:58:34 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 01, 2017, 10:51:47 AM

The only thing I'm asking is that the American consumer ask himself what the fuck Australia has to do with steaks.  I would be saying the same thing if they opened up a Scottish Sushi chain or an Egyptian fried chicken chain.

"steak" is associated with the wild west and ranching / cowboys.  The Outback is Australia's "wild west".  It's foreign enough to differentiate itself in a crowded market, but safe enough to not feel threatening.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

I wonder what Yi has against Australians.

0 rows returned

celedhring

Texan/cowboy steakhouses are pretty rare around here. They are seen as too tacky and if one wants to open and American steakhouse they usually aim for a California/NE theme.

Most common steakhouse around here is the Argentinian steakhouse, though.

Berkut

I still have not gone to on of those....

But really, WTF does Argentina have to do with steak anyway?

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2017, 11:07:05 AM
Texan/cowboy steakhouses are pretty rare around here. They are seen as too tacky and if one wants to open and American steakhouse they usually aim for a California/NE theme.

:blink: