0 (0%)
Charcoal-y
0 (0%)
Don't eat/like steaks
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

sbr

Anecdote warning!!

I've never worked in a restaurant in China.

I have worked in many restaurants in the US, including at least one high end steak house, and an improperly cooked steak going out would be a big deal.

Most often iy is a misunderstanding about what the terms mean to different people.

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on February 28, 2017, 11:27:57 PM
Anecdote warning!!

I have worked in many restaurants in the US, including at least one high end steak house, and an improperly cooked steak going out would be a big deal.

Most often iy is a misunderstanding about what the terms mean to different people.

Yeah, it is actually pretty hard to get a steak cook time wrong.  If a medium rare steak is served medium or medium well, someone in the kitchen really messed up.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2017, 03:00:00 PM
You could also cook it like DG does:  Poorly done.
:mad: What the fuck, man?

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 28, 2017, 11:23:04 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 28, 2017, 11:21:49 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 28, 2017, 11:07:38 PM
$1steak

Holy shit, I thought you were joking.  I think I have to try that now.

Type in "dollar tree steak" in Google and enjoy the reviews.  :)

That was an amusing 5 minutes. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Some restaurants have a policy of nothing less than medium well.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2017, 11:33:49 PM

A phrase you coined.  You were posting how about cooking a steak and claimed to have discovered a new form:  Poorly Done.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2017, 11:35:44 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 28, 2017, 11:23:04 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 28, 2017, 11:21:49 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 28, 2017, 11:07:38 PM
$1steak

Holy shit, I thought you were joking.  I think I have to try that now.

Type in "dollar tree steak" in Google and enjoy the reviews.  :)

That was an amusing 5 minutes. :)

Yes.  Yes, it was.  I will be buying a couple in the near future and forcing myself to consume them.  For science.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2017, 11:43:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2017, 11:38:09 PM
Some restaurants have a policy of nothing less than medium well.

We call them McDonalds

It's lawyers that do that, you know. 

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on February 28, 2017, 11:27:57 PM
Anecdote warning!!

I am not talking about steakhouses. There I expect excellence.

But your Applebees, or whatever, might fuck it up a bit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2017, 11:39:20 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2017, 11:33:49 PM

A phrase you coined.  You were posting how about cooking a steak and claimed to have discovered a new form:  Poorly Done.
Oh.  :blush:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on March 01, 2017, 12:00:11 AM

I am not talking about steakhouses. There I expect excellence.

But your Applebees, or whatever, might fuck it up a bit.

I was thinking more Bohanan's (they don't screw it up ever) vs a chain steakhouse joint like Longhorn or Logan's or something (they're off a little sometimes and it's nbd). 

I don't think I've ever had anyone torch a steak when I've asked for medium rare, although somewhat related, I've gotten a burger at Chili's that essentially wasn't cooked at all even after asking for well done because ground beef.  I didn't eat that.  Gross.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 01, 2017, 12:08:03 AM
I've gotten a burger at Chili's that essentially wasn't cooked at all even after asking for well done because ground beef.  I didn't eat that.  Gross.

Yeah, totally different story  :lol:  Those have to be well.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 01, 2017, 12:14:33 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 01, 2017, 12:08:03 AM
I've gotten a burger at Chili's that essentially wasn't cooked at all even after asking for well done because ground beef.  I didn't eat that.  Gross.

Yeah, totally different story  :lol:  Those have to be well.

I did take a bigass bite of that thing when I got it.  It was seared, or at least cooked looking, on the outside, but just light red/pink cold ground beef on the inside.  Not good times.

I've also opened up and tossed back half of one of those little boxed of milk that was spoiled on the ship before I spit it out all over the place.  It was chunky.  My roommate said he couldn't decide whether to puke or laugh at the look on my face.   :lol:  I should probably....I dunno....at least do more than glance at things before I start eating or drinking them. :hmm:

CountDeMoney

You don't have to stop and smell it, but you should maybe be more deliberate than a bag of corn chips.  :lol: