Still Mooing
0 (0%)
Charcoal-y
0 (0%)
Don't eat/like steaks
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Capetan Mihali

Historically, I've preferred the more well-done end of the spectrum, since that's what my family liked, but I've absorbed the idea that rarer is culturally superior, and have probably been influenced to move in that direction to some extent.  So I would ask for "medium" probably, but the few times I've had steak in restaurants (not steakhouses), "medium" has looked more like "medium-well" on that chart.  At home, I've experimented mostly with cheap cuts cooked in a pan, and a true "medium" would be my aim at this point.  But I've enjoyed it rarer as well, and might get more out of that if I was using a more expensive cut and/or grilling it.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on February 28, 2017, 02:24:24 PM
I have posted this before, and CdM was highly critical of the opinion, which is unfortunate because it is so correct. :(

The answer depends on the cut of meat. For example, I think a new york strip is best medium rare, a filet medium rare to medium, and a sirloin medium well.

What are you talking about  :mad:  LINK PLZ

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2017, 02:13:17 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 28, 2017, 02:05:42 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 28, 2017, 02:03:22 PM
So, who voted Well Done? Tamas? Ed?  :P

I did. I'm sure the assburgers will lecture me from their semen stained keyboards.

Hey I am using my work computer!

Semen that isn't yours then. The janitor jacks off on your desk every night.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Did Valmy stick a penny in the elevator?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 28, 2017, 07:36:36 PM
Historically, I've preferred the more well-done end of the spectrum, since that's what my family liked, but I've absorbed the idea that rarer is culturally superior, and have probably been influenced to move in that direction to some extent.  So I would ask for "medium" probably, but the few times I've had steak in restaurants (not steakhouses), "medium" has looked more like "medium-well" on that chart.  At home, I've experimented mostly with cheap cuts cooked in a pan, and a true "medium" would be my aim at this point.  But I've enjoyed it rarer as well, and might get more out of that if I was using a more expensive cut and/or grilling it.

Mom's anxiety closet was large enough even before she became an RN, so salmonella, tapeworms and E. coli were fears that she went well over the top about--which is why we were raised on broiled beef and chicken breasts overcooked and additional 30 minutes until they were the consistency of hockey pucks.

Ed Anger

My mom nuked the pork chops. You needed a chainsaw to eat them.

CountDeMoney

We used those as ping pong paddles.

DontSayBanana

I order medium.  Tastes like rare, but doesn't feel like eating beefy canned tunafish.  Y'all can keep your steak tartare. :yuk:
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 28, 2017, 07:36:36 PM

Yeah, for the cheaper cuts of meat I recommend that you marinate them for a long time (a day or so) and then cook them to medium.  For the better cuts medium rare is the way to go.  Unless you don't care about tasting the meat.  Then go well done and put a bunch of steak sauce over it.

Ed Anger

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2017, 07:26:10 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 28, 2017, 06:19:02 PM
Medium rare is the sweet spot for me, but I don't get all weird about it if it shows up medium or rare.

Yeah. Steak is hard to get just right, if the restaurant screws it up it is no big deal.

A trained chef in a professional kitchen shouldn't have much trouble getting steaks cooked properly almost every time.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 28, 2017, 11:07:38 PM
$1steak

Holy shit, I thought you were joking.  I think I have to try that now.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on February 28, 2017, 11:21:49 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 28, 2017, 11:07:38 PM
$1steak

Holy shit, I thought you were joking.  I think I have to try that now.

Type in "dollar tree steak" in Google and enjoy the reviews.  :)

Monoriu

Quote from: sbr on February 28, 2017, 11:12:31 PM

A trained chef in a professional kitchen shouldn't have much trouble getting steaks cooked properly almost every time.

Nah, I order medium rare but get well-done all the time.  It is easy to do when you cook one steak.  When they get 30 orders at the same time, they screw up.