Confederate General Jefferson Beauregarde Sessions' First States' Rights Victory

Started by CountDeMoney, February 28, 2017, 02:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

voter ID laws, at worst, impacts the communities that barely care about voting that odds are they probably wouldn't have voted anyway in an average election. first time voters who don't read up on what they need, etc. the voter suppression arguments overlook the fact that this info will be spread in the local communities. "remember, everyone, get yourself registered to vote!" = probably at least half the black pastors/mexican priests, etc.

if a person truly cares about politics, he'll get registered to vote. communities band together to convince people to vote. if people are actually not voting, it's usually because their community doesn't care. they weren't going to vote regardless of "voter suppression" laws.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 28, 2017, 07:54:06 PM
if a person truly cares about politics, he'll get registered to vote. communities band together to convince people to vote. if people are actually not voting, it's usually because their community doesn't care. they weren't going to vote regardless of "voter suppression" laws.

True. But we are talking about people who are already registered to vote.

Anyway this does not impact me at all. I am only observing outrage from people who claim it hurts their communities so I cannot speak for them since I have a rather poor grasp on their issues.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

voter ID laws, at worst, impacts the communities that barely care about voting that odds are they probably wouldn't have voted anyway in an average election. first time voters who don't read up on what they need, etc. the voter suppression arguments overlook the fact that this info will be spread in the local communities. "remember, everyone, get yourself registered to vote!" = probably at least half the black pastors/mexican priests, etc.

I just voted, 1 to 0.  You're right, I feel empowered.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2017, 07:15:51 PM
I don't get the government employee ID thing though. I mean you have to prove citizenship or right to work to get one. Why wouldn't that work?

Granted if you have one of those you probably also have a drivers license.

Texas actually makes it pretty easy to vote with their long early voting periods though so I have a hard time being too outraged.

State gov't employee IDs can be given to non-citizens.  I don't know how the feds work with regards to citizenship (I don't know what kind of IDs these people would get, for example: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/non-citizens/), but the state will take all this stuff if you want to vote:

QuoteHere is a list of the acceptable forms of photo ID:

Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
Texas license to carry a handgun issued by DPS
United States military identification card containing the person's photograph
United States citizenship certificate containing the person's photograph
United States passport
With the exception of the U.S. citizenship certificate, the identification must be current or have expired no more than 4 years before being presented for voter qualification at the polling place.

Election Identification Certificates are available from DPS driver license offices during regular business hours. Find mobile station locations here.

Here is a list of the supporting forms of ID that can be presented if the voter does not possess one of the forms of acceptable photo ID and cannot obtain one due to a reasonable impediment:

Valid voter registration certificate
Certified birth certificate (must be an original)
Copy of or original current utility bill
Copy of or original bank statement
Copy of or original government check
Copy of or original paycheck
Copy of or original government document with your name and an address (original required if it contains a photograph)

After presenting a supporting form of ID, the voter must execute a Reasonable Impediment Declaration.

So a "government document" with your name and address on it would work (or any of that other shit in the second section).  You would also apparently have to sign a thing saying why you can't get one of the top seven IDs.  They're wanting stuff with your name and address on it.

E:  That Election Identification Certificate is the free one, I believe. 

Valmy

Um pretty sure non-citizens can get drivers licenses. That is why they are not considered a proof of citizenship when applying for a job.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2017, 08:14:40 PM
Um pretty sure non-citizens can get drivers licenses. That is why they are not considered a proof of citizenship when applying for a job.

Exactly.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2017, 08:10:38 PM

Oh, come on.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Yeah the closing of the polls is the main thing that irritates me.

But, again, fortunately the state has very generous early voting. Hopefully that is not taken away. But even for early voting in this most recent election I was standing in a very long line to vote thanks to the reduction in polling places. It must have been a nightmare on election day.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2017, 08:14:40 PM

Congrats, you have found the loophole that may allow permanent residents who bothered to get a SSN to vote in elections in Texas, depending on what they say on them.  I'm not really worried about those people going and voting though.  They probably care more about it than I do anyway.  The limited term DLs don't work though, so that's a bummer for temporary visitors.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2017, 08:24:49 PM
Yeah the closing of the polls is the main thing that irritates me.

But, again, fortunately the state has very generous early voting. Hopefully that is not taken away. But even for early voting in this most recent election I was standing in a very long line to vote thanks to the reduction in polling places. It must have been a nightmare on election day.

There's an early voting place that I go to (when I bother) that is located in....it's not an abandoned mall, but the big store there is Burlington Coat Factory, soooooo......anyway, it's one of those walk in, vote, walk out kind of places where the workers are super bored and all that.

Formerly Crossroads mall.  If you're ever in the area, don't go.  There's nothing there.  Well unless you want a coat, I guess.

E:  Oh there is a little movie theater there that shows the not so mainstream movies, so it has that going for it.  Alamo Drafthouse is better for that though. vOv

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2017, 08:10:38 PM

ah come on...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 28, 2017, 08:25:30 PM
Congrats, you have found the loophole that may allow permanent residents who bothered to get a SSN to vote in elections in Texas, depending on what they say on them.

What did Texas require from voters to verify their identity as mandated by law before?

Valmy

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 28, 2017, 08:35:33 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 28, 2017, 08:25:30 PM
Congrats, you have found the loophole that may allow permanent residents who bothered to get a SSN to vote in elections in Texas, depending on what they say on them.

What did Texas require from voters to verify their identity as mandated by law before?

Uh...for registering? I don't recall actually. Which is weird because if they made me bring in my passport, or whatever, I would remember. But I did register back in 1995.