Operation Enduring Nuremberg: The Trump Diaspora begins...con carne!

Started by CountDeMoney, February 21, 2017, 11:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2017, 09:00:22 PMThe myth that CBP used to be a bunch of great guys and gals until Trump took office and issued a decree is comical.  These people have been jerks since forever.  You'll find plenty of horror stories from before Trump even took office.

:huh: I am not the one peddling that myth.
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2017, 08:36:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2017, 08:22:47 PM
Add in talk about "thugs" and you look like an emo sore loser.

This is ICE and CBP we're talking about here.  Amazing what federal gigs a high school diploma and 10 Veterans Preference points for "the voices" since coming home from Iraq can score these days.

Oh, those guys have been bastards for a long time.  This myth that Trump has unleashed them somehow and made them "bad hombres" is kinda amusing, if you've been at all paying attention for the last fifteen years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Oexmelin

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2017, 09:05:21 PMYou can't help being emo, can you?  If I point out that people are being emo when they insist that officials they don't like are "thugs," you can either take that on board or go even more emo, like here.  I kinda find your taking the second approach more amusing, I'll admit, so keep up the emo if you can.

Yeah. I admit. This gets to me, and I get passionate, and worried about it. I mean, I am a foreigner. My partner teaches Arabic. Many of our friends are consequently Muslim. Some  are actually refugees stuck in camps in Lebanon. I have been witness to injustice and heartlessness from CBP when stuck in the detention center at Dulles. Other friends, much less worryingly, have "only" been turned back at the border, or at the airport. I am sorry we can't all be devoid of empathy like you. But I'll be happy to be shown to have overreacted in a few years. It's just that the  alternative - that is, people like you being shown they were underreacting - is somehow more problematic. But, keep it up, Dr. Pangloss. I am sure, in a few years, you'll discover new insults like "snowflake" and "social justice warrior".

jimmy olsen

I completely agree with Oexmelin's stance on the issue. This is absolutely an issue people should get passionate about.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 26, 2017, 09:17:22 PM
I completely agree with Oexmelin's stance on the issue. This is absolutely an issue people should get passionate about.

Fuck.  Tainted.  Sorry, Oex
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 26, 2017, 09:14:50 PM
Yeah. I admit. This gets to me, and I get passionate, and worried about it. I mean, I am a foreigner. My partner teaches Arabic. Many of our friends are consequently Muslim. Some  are actually refugees stuck in camps in Lebanon. I have been witness to injustice and heartlessness from CBP when stuck in the detention center at Dulles. Other friends, much less worryingly, have "only" been turned back at the border, or at the airport. I am sorry we can't all be devoid of empathy like you. But I'll be happy to be shown to have overreacted in a few years. It's just that the  alternative - that is, people like you being shown they were underreacting - is somehow more problematic. But, keep it up, Dr. Pangloss. I am sure, in a few years, you'll discover new insults like "snowflake" and "social justice warrior".

So I can be emo like you and consider authorities I dislike to be "thugs,", or else I can be "devoid of empathy?"  In your worldview, those are the only options?

Well, if those are the only alternatives, I'll gladly be "devoid of empathy" in your eyes and clear-eyed in my own.  I just have too much self-respect to go the emo route, satisfying as it must be to you to nail yourself to that cross.  Tyranny must be fought with laws, not tears.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

:lol:  And what do you imagine the differences are between Oex's stance and mine?

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2017, 09:08:37 PM

This is ICE and CBP we're talking about here.  Amazing what federal gigs a high school diploma and 10 Veterans Preference points for "the voices" since coming home from Iraq can score these days.

Oh, those guys have been bastards for a long time.  This myth that Trump has unleashed them somehow and made them "bad hombres" is kinda amusing, if you've been at all paying attention for the last fifteen years.

While I have every confidence in General Kelly being able control the Department of Misfit Toys, the fact remains that Der Furor has loosened the ROE for them--and with Attorney Confederate General Jefferson Beauregard Secessions in charge of DOJ, I don't see the concerns surrounding a new-found professional zealotry as too unreasonable.

Oexmelin

Quote from: PDH on February 26, 2017, 09:19:24 PM

Fuck.  Tainted.  Sorry, Oex

Don't feel sorry for me. Feel sorry for America, for my noble cause is hers, and 'tis America now that is tainted.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2017, 09:22:46 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2017, 09:08:37 PM

While I have every confidence in General Kelly being able control the Department of Misfit Toys, the fact remains that Der Furor has loosened the ROE for them--and with Attorney Confederate General Jefferson Beauregard Secessions in charge of DOJ, I don't see the concerns surrounding a new-found professional zealotry as too unreasonable.

So what you're saying is......... :lol:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

I think that the expansion of the "focus" to include "everything" is as troublesome as it is pointless, and I expect it will go away de facto as the impossibility of it becomes evident.  In the meantime, the key is to document what is actually happening, dispassionately, so that those who find it uncomfortable are given ammunition to support their discomfort.  What needs to be avoided is reporting that starts with the assumption that law enforcement is made up of thugs and villains.  The demonization of enemies may have carried Trump to power, but it isn't going to carry much eight in the fight against him.  You won't beat him using his means.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on February 26, 2017, 09:31:32 PM

So what you're saying is......... :lol:

That there's a shitload of Chets from Weird Science that couldn't get into the FBI.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2017, 09:21:29 PM

:lol:  And what do you imagine the differences are between Oex's stance and mine?

Well for one, your stance involves being a dick to Oex. I'm pretty sure Oex's does not.