Operation Enduring Nuremberg: The Trump Diaspora begins...con carne!

Started by CountDeMoney, February 21, 2017, 11:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Maximus on February 24, 2017, 11:00:41 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 24, 2017, 10:57:22 AM
psst, ex canuck. You're slipping buddy.
I'll refer you to the thread about the proudly ignorant

he'll just come back and say we're the same as euro's. it's what old people do to cover up their mental slips

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

HVC

:yeah:

Although you forgot to quote the rest of the post. Man, your memory is going fast.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

sbr

Quote from: derspiess on February 24, 2017, 10:18:28 AM
Quote from: sbr on February 23, 2017, 11:34:09 PM
Once again dismissing the violation of US citizens' Constitutional rights.

Is asking for ID a violation of constitutional rights?  I would agree the optics are not good, though.

I'm not a lawyer so I'm not going to go too deep into this, but not preventing US citizens from leaving a plane that originated from another US city without presenting their papers seems to go against both the 4th and 5th Amendments.

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on February 24, 2017, 11:21:38 AM
I'm not a lawyer so I'm not going to go too deep into this,

Ditto, which is why I'm attempting to tread carefully.

Quotebut not preventing US citizens from leaving a plane that originated from another US city without presenting their papers seems to go against both the 4th and 5th Amendments.

Did they forcibly stop anyone that tried to walk past them without showing ID?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

citizen k

I think it's like a checkpoint setup by police to capture a fugitive. They stop every car and search before letting them through.

Barrister

Quote from: citizen k on February 24, 2017, 12:46:25 PM
I think it's like a checkpoint setup by police to capture a fugitive. They stop every car and search before letting them through.

The problem, if there is a problem, is that these weren't police officers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

citizen k

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2017, 12:53:58 PM

They were imposters. :huh:

Barrister

Quote from: citizen k on February 24, 2017, 01:08:00 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2017, 12:53:58 PM

They were imposters. :huh:

They were border guards, who have (presumably) different powers and authorities.

I'm trying to think if this would be a problem in Canada, but I honestly don't know.  There is a duty to identify yourself to a peace officer (which is a broad category which includes both police and border services), but the question would be whether or not the border guard is acting "In the execution of their duty".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

In Spain there wouldn't be a problem since border protection and regular policing are carried out by the same law enforcement body (Guardia Civil).

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2017, 01:15:38 PM
In Spain there wouldn't be a problem since border protection and regular policing are carried out by the same law enforcement body (Guardia Civil).

Do they still wear those cool hats?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: sbr on February 24, 2017, 11:21:38 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 24, 2017, 10:18:28 AM
Quote from: sbr on February 23, 2017, 11:34:09 PM
Once again dismissing the violation of US citizens' Constitutional rights.

Is asking for ID a violation of constitutional rights?  I would agree the optics are not good, though.

I'm not a lawyer so I'm not going to go too deep into this, but not preventing US citizens from leaving a plane that originated from another US city without presenting their papers seems to go against both the 4th and 5th Amendments.

Are the 4th and 5th the police state amendments?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on February 24, 2017, 01:18:19 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2017, 01:15:38 PM

Do they still wear those cool hats?

Tricornios? AFAIK they're mostly ceremonial nowadays.