News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Soon before Trump has a 'reichstag fire'?

Started by Josephus, February 17, 2017, 10:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How soon before Trump has a 'reichstag fire'?

Never. He's too nice
15 (41.7%)
Over a year from now
1 (2.8%)
Between six months and a Year
8 (22.2%)
within six months
5 (13.9%)
Any day now...wait for it.
4 (11.1%)
What's a Reichstag fire?
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

dps

Quote from: frunk on February 18, 2017, 02:17:00 PM
Quote from: dps on February 18, 2017, 01:37:38 PM
OK, let me clarify--I don't really give a shit whether or not Europeans like or dislike our President, but I have so little respect for their opinion that if they feel one way about the current office-holder, it can shade my opinion in the opposite direction.  But just shade it--the fact that Europeans in general have strongly negative opinions of President Trump isn't enough to make me like the man at all.

I think this attitude when taken to extremes is a good percentage of the problem.  There's an assumption that "if someone I don't like doesn't like something, it must be good."  That's only true if the person you don't like has exactly the opposite opinions to you on everything.  There's nobody like that, and using it as a signal on anything is worse than useless.

It's easy to go from that to saying "I don't like Hillary, Hillary doesn't like Putin, Putin must be good."  It's lazy and will only serve to ignore that actual common ground that we have with people we don't like.  We have more commonalities with Europe than any other comparable land mass in the world, yet them not liking Trump (who you also don't like) would actually move your opinion in the opposite direction?

Not on Trump, no, because there's nothing to like there.

mongers

He's spending too much time in Florida to be arsed to do something like this.

Though maybe he'd set fire to a aircraft hanger at a US regional airport in the South East?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

well yeah, he's busy on the campaign trail for 2020 already
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on February 19, 2017, 11:13:03 AM
well yeah, he's busy on the campaign trail for 2020 already

I thought he was just getting with folks that would cheer him on. Donald has been taking a lot of flak since taking office, he just needed some soothing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Soon I hope. I'm tiring of the crybaby brigade and chicks with the pussy hats.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 19, 2017, 07:52:40 PM

Quit your sniveling, your scooter doesn't go that fast. They'll catch you.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 19, 2017, 07:52:40 PM

Yeah, we need to get over this Trump presidency and move on to the next one.  He's way overstayed his welcome.  The fuckups are starting to get repetitive.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

:D

Grumbler wished he had a pussy hat when Caligula went Captain Insano in the capital.

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 19, 2017, 10:03:48 PM
:D

Grumbler wished he had a pussy hat when Caligula went Captain Insano in the capital.

Yeah.

Sure.

*Runs away*
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

And broke your own bones when you tried to run.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?