The house that weird guys in goofy black costumes built: Star Wars and DC
You had me at colorful costumes: Star Trek and Marvel
The least popular choice: Star Trek and DC

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2017, 05:21:34 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 14, 2017, 04:52:13 PM
Star Wars because "duh".

:huh:

It's the most influential western film(s) of our time. It changed the way movies are done in many ways that are still felt to this day (not all good, certainly).

That doesn't mean you have to think Star Trek isn't better - fair enough and some have made good cases for that in here - but it has had nowhere near the same cultural impact. Star Wars was a cultural event.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 15, 2017, 07:05:43 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2017, 05:21:34 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 14, 2017, 04:52:13 PM
Star Wars because "duh".

:huh:

It's the most influential western film(s) of our time. It changed the way movies are done in many ways that are still felt to this day (not all good, certainly).

That doesn't mean you have to think Star Trek isn't better - fair enough and some have made good cases for that in here - but it has had nowhere near the same cultural impact. Star Wars was a cultural event.

So I'll just file that all under fan wank.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Star Wars had far more global cultural impact, I am not even sure how this can be debated.

I mean, honestly, if you stop a random person on the street, on which one will they have more knowledge on, by average? Of course Star Wars.

Monoriu

If you ask the "Star Wars vs Star Trek" question in this part of the world, it isn't even a contest.  Most people would have seen, or at least heard of Star Wars, and they would have no idea what Star Trek is.   

garbon

I'm not sure how that's relevant to the question that was posed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on February 15, 2017, 08:00:46 AM

I know it's just you being garbon, but dunno how that follows. I have a big scholarly interest in films (unsurprising given my background). I love daring movies that come out, make things that had never been done before, and become a break in film history. Star Wars was that.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 15, 2017, 09:16:07 AM

I know it's just you being garbon, but dunno how that follows. I have a big scholarly interest in films (unsurprising given my background). I love daring movies that come out, make things that had never been done before, and become a break in film history. Star Wars was that.

Because it is Tim levels of exuberance combined with the question wasn't exactly that. I mean it is an explanation of why you voted the way that you did but still isn't a "duh" as you've put it.

Grey Fox

Trek & Marvel.

Not really a comic fan & Batman is an enabler. The Trump of Gotham; so fuck that guy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Delirium

Really open question here, innit? I *think* the idea is to see if there is a pattern to people's preferences in opposing ends in two different areas? Is x + a more common than x + b, y + a or y +b?

If "quality" is at stake, I personally question "better known" as a measurement. Manchester United sells a gazillion shirts all over the world but really aren't that good anymore.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

garbon

Quote from: Delirium on February 15, 2017, 09:41:46 AM
If "quality" is at stake, I personally question "better known" as a measurement. Manchester United sells a gazillion shirts all over the world but really aren't that good anymore.

I just read this out to my employee who is from near Manchester and all she had to say was a curt 'well.' :D

garbon

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on February 15, 2017, 09:27:47 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 15, 2017, 09:16:07 AM

Because it is Tim levels of exuberance combined with the question wasn't exactly that. I mean it is an explanation of why you voted the way that you did but still isn't a "duh" as you've put it.

The question didn't really set the parameters for "betterness", so I think mine are as valid as the others.

"Duh" was a bit of fishing on my part  :sleep:

garbon

Eddie Teach

A dozen mediocre movies and five mediocre tv shows. "Duh" is right.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 15, 2017, 09:34:59 AM

Not really a comic fan & Batman is an enabler. The Trump of Gotham; so fuck that guy.

That's just an internet meme where in Batman is a crazy objectivist who gets off on beating up poor people.

In actuality he has invested billions in infrastructure, jobs, education and charity within Gotham.

It's not his fault the city was built on a cursed Indian Burial ground.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point