Started by Kleves, February 14, 2017, 03:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well?

Kneel before Mickey: Star Wars and Marvel
The house that weird guys in goofy black costumes built: Star Wars and DC
You had me at colorful costumes: Star Trek and Marvel
The least popular choice: Star Trek and DC

Kleves

While we wait for that rough beast to reach Bethlehem, I thought I might do a poll about something other than the most likely way humanity is going to go extinct in the next four years.

Thus, the poll asks one of the most important, nerdiest questions ever: Star Wars or Star Trek. But it also asks another important question: Marvel or DC? How will Star Trek fans align with those who favor Marvel? Will the superiority of Star Wars and Marvel movies outweigh the superiority of Star Trek and DC on television? Was Spaceballs better than Galaxy Quest? Who cares; vote now!
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

Always preferred Marvel over DC. I like Trek and Wars, but Wars has the slight edge.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Marvel is a million times better than DC in every way.

Star Wars or Trek....I guess Trek edges it. Quantity has a quality of its own.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Star Wars because "duh". DC because I am a huge Batman fan, and imho the best DC comics/movies are better than the best Marvel comics/movies, even if Marvel has overall a stronger stable.

Admiral Yi

I wonder if it was a conscious editorial decision on DC's part not to go full T&A like Marvel.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I voted Star Trek / DC.

I was never a big comic book guy.  I think for a year or two I collected Superman books, but that was about it.  Supes was always my favourite, but I don't know how much the "favourite" of a guy who doesn't read many comic books is worth.

I have to hand it to Disney though - the recent run of Marvel movies is miles better than anything Warner/DC has put out.  But my vote is based strictly on the comic book / characters side.

Star Trek vs Star Wars - it's hard to pick a favourite as I really love both franchises.  But while both are kitschy and lowbrow, Trek could at least sometimes pretend to grapple with weightier issues (like "What does God need with a starship?", which Star Wars could never touch.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 14, 2017, 05:21:34 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 14, 2017, 04:52:13 PM
Star Wars because "duh".

:huh:

Yeah, don't quite get that, either.  Particularly how that whole franchise has been in a nosedive since the second act of Return of the Jedi.

Valmy

DC has all the super heroes people who are not really into super heroes recognize. Since I am one of those people I prefer DC.

I actually liked two out of three of the last Star Trek films so I guess that gives it a slight leg up over Star Wars.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Star Wars > Star Trek.  I just don't get Star Trek's vision of the future of replicators, money-less society and utopia.  Scarcity is an essential feature of any society. 

No idea what Marvel or DC are. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on February 14, 2017, 06:05:51 PM
Scarcity is an essential feature of any society. 

Please see: China, lack of oxygen in

Berkut

Star Trek.

Honestly, I doubt I could tell you which of any given superhero or comic book was part of which company. Do people actually pay attention to that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Monoriu on February 14, 2017, 06:05:51 PM
Star Wars > Star Trek.  I just don't get Star Trek's vision of the future of replicators, money-less society and utopia.  Scarcity is an essential feature of any society. 

No idea what Marvel or DC are.

The two biggest superhero comics publishing companies:

Marvel: X-Men, Spiderman, Avengers, Fantastic 4...
DC: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Flash...

Voted Star Wars/Marvel. Don't care about DC at all besides Batman, and never got into Star Trek.

jimmy olsen

If we're talking about just the comics, I much prefer DC to Marvel, however Marvel's movie have been so good that I voted the Marvel/Star Wars option.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point