News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great UK Lettuce Crisis of 2017

Started by Syt, February 03, 2017, 08:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on February 07, 2017, 05:50:37 PM
The Perfidious Albion must be starved of dietary fibers and folic acids. Thus we will get Gibraltar back.

I figured payback for the Nonintervention Committee.

Richard Hakluyt

If the Spanish extend their restrictions to citrus the country will be brought to its knees  :weep:

Richard Hakluyt

I was shopping yesterday and again could see little evidence of any shortages. Masses of fresh broccoli on display at £1.18 per kilo. All the other stuff seemed normal, onions have experienced a price collapse. The only evidence I could see of any shortage was that iceberg lettuces were £1.19...........................which seems a bit pricey to me, more than normal that is.

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 08, 2017, 12:53:35 AM
If the Spanish extend their restrictions to citrus the country will be brought to its knees  :weep:

Time for a new Peninsular Campaign to secure fruits and veg?

And also top rate footballers, given the challenges that exist post brexit/strong pound. They seem to have a lot of them about in Spain.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 08, 2017, 12:57:18 AM
I was shopping yesterday and again could see little evidence of any shortages. Masses of fresh broccoli on display at £1.18 per kilo. All the other stuff seemed normal, onions have experienced a price collapse. The only evidence I could see of any shortage was that iceberg lettuces were £1.19...........................which seems a bit pricey to me, more than normal that is.

I wonder if, post-Brexit, when the price-rises from new tariffs will start to show, will the British press be:
a) doing the same general panic
b) panic with blaming EU countries for deliberately trying to punish the UK for winning her freedom from European opression
c) note the fact but urge to take it with stiff upper lip
d) pretend it never happened

Archy

When will the emigration start with half of the Brits leaving after the begin of this new Great Famine but this time directed to the Brits  :glare:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on February 08, 2017, 05:51:57 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 08, 2017, 12:57:18 AM

I wonder if, post-Brexit, when the price-rises from new tariffs will start to show, will the British press be:
a) doing the same general panic
b) panic with blaming EU countries for deliberately trying to punish the UK for winning her freedom from European opression
c) note the fact but urge to take it with stiff upper lip
d) pretend it never happened

Well we don't have to impose tariffs on Spanish produce you know; and even if we do then it will raise tax revenues which can be rebated elsewhere.

My principal interest in this it is that it is essentially fake news. But fake news that can be checked by the simple expedient of walking into a shop. Is it possible that people who can buy any salad materials they want can also believe in a shortage because of what they read in their paper? Until last year I would have said no, now I'm not so sure  :hmm: