News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great UK Lettuce Crisis of 2017

Started by Syt, February 03, 2017, 08:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2017, 05:05:37 PM
I thought I was just buying groceries - I had no idea I was making an extended comment on my social standing. :weep:

You were in the UK, so...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: celedhring on February 06, 2017, 04:13:07 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 06, 2017, 04:07:01 PM
Have any of you experienced problems getting any produce? I've been buying all these things as usual, the broccoli we had on Sunday was actually on special offer  :hmm:

I'm just wondering if the "shortage" is a complete fabrication or is actually taking place in other parts of the country.

Certainly there's no shortage or higher prices over here, which is the supposed origin of the scarcity. It's true that the weather's been bad, though.

My bet is that The Sun just took some highly localized problem and just went full The Sun on it.

I did read a relatively useful piece on the BBC which talked about the bad weather but also pointed out that this happens every now and then. I think the worst piece was in the Guardian where it was blamed on Brexit, the Spanish now hate us so much they won't sell us lettuces it seems  :hmm:

For the Express it was the beginning of the apocalypse of course, but that happens once a week in their universe.

I'm interested because it seems to fall into this genre of fake, or at least ridiculously heavily spun, news. The evidence on the ground is that some prices have risen; some will pay the higher price, others will buy an alternative............ie business as usual.

Richard Hakluyt

One thing about supermarkets that we need to bear in mind is that each individual shop is now tailored to the area it serves. I was mystified a few years back, for example, when I saw Morrisons being extensively slagged off for being shit. The one at Preston docks being quite a good store. I then went on a tour of the North-East and shopped at several Morrisons' over there.......well, they were pretty poor. So, in Preston, for some mysterious reason, the local Lidl is better than the local Aldi. I theorise that it is due to the clientele. In both these stores roughly half the shoppers are foreigners; but in the Lidl they are workers of various types (well organised respectable working class in the main) whereas the Aldi is in the university district and has lots of students shop there.

Waitrose is very weak up here as we have a regional chain, Booth's, that fills that niche and has the additional advantage of being "Northern".

I shop at all these places, and M&S as well, but that is mainly to get me to do lots of walking. If it wasn't for the exercise I guess we would use Booth's for 90% of our purchases. They have stuff like the £14 a small bottle balsamic vinegar that are essential to our modern lifestyle  :lol:

Josquius

ALDI...  Some OK cheap stuff.  People stock up on their pizzas like crazy.  Though I do not trust the meat from there. I had a bad encounter with it.  The smell... Oh the smell...
Also I have to disapprove of their dark patterns. Purposefully confusing shelf lay out and horrid tills.
Though they do treat their workers well so yay.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

LaCroix

kale and quinoa and fat free chicken breasts (purchased in bulk, not some scam pampered chicken nonsense) = great for dinner five nights a week

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2017, 05:27:24 PM
:ph34r:

Seems like a bad idea. Unless the Spanish have suddenly seen a massive increase in appetite that'd just all be good going to waste. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

The Perfidious Albion must be starved of dietary fibers and folic acids. Thus we will get Gibraltar back.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 07, 2017, 05:50:37 PM
The Perfidious Albion must be starved of dietary fibers and folic acids. Thus we will get Gibraltar back.

Or you'll get your tail whipped like what happened with the Argies and the Falklands. :(

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2017, 05:56:43 PM

Or you'll get your tail whipped like what happened with the Argies and the Falklands. :(

This will triumph where Nappy's continental system failed.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 07, 2017, 05:58:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2017, 05:56:43 PM

This will triumph where Nappy's continental system failed.

False bravado.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on February 07, 2017, 08:46:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 07, 2017, 06:28:59 PM
The only British lettuce I care about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwPdWXL70g

Can she play a flute?

I always though women who played that instrument were fabulously exotic, then I met a few, turns out they were just fluting it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2017, 10:25:50 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 07, 2017, 08:46:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 07, 2017, 06:28:59 PM
The only British lettuce I care about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwPdWXL70g

Can she play a flute?

I always though women who played that instrument were fabulously exotic, then I met a few, turns out they were just fluting it.

Depends on the instrument.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".