Out of all the groups in India, why is it that its mostly Punjabis who emigrate?

Started by Barrister, January 31, 2017, 02:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Canada I can definitely see.  Can't walk a block in Canada without bumping into a Singh.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2017, 07:38:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2017, 07:26:35 PM
Patel reflects a caste as well.  It means something like landowner.  I think it's related to the English name "Payne",  Most south Asian immigrants come from the higher castes.

I don't think it is a 'Varna' type situation though. That is what we normally think of 'Caste'.

That sounds like a 'Jati' which is more like a class system as I understand.

But I always found it very confusing. Probably because it is very confusing :P

Think of Jatis as occupations, within the caste system.  Subcastes, in other words.  Varnas are the traditional four castes, while jatis number in the thousands.  We speaks of castes, but Hindus (and many non Hindus) speak mostly of jatis.    The offense on the football team is a caste, and each position group is a jati.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Speaking of India and football you can always remember the rhyme: 'Bobby Singh won all three rings' if anybody ever asks you who the only player in professional football history was to win the championship in three different leagues (in his case the NFL, CFL, and XFL).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Fate

I feel like Gujarati last names are way more common (Patel, Shah, Desai, Amin, etc). But similar story to the Punjabis... definitely over represented relative to their population back in India (4%). Gujarat is one of the most economically prosperous parts of India. I guess they have their shit together when it comes to visa applications.

Ed Anger

Who are the indian shit heads who run the smelly convenience stores, sketchy gas stations and nasty motels?

Love the Indian doctors though. When I can understand them. Seem to like getting into urology.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

HVC

I had an Indian doc. His name was Israel and he was Christian. Dude was all over the place.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on January 31, 2017, 09:37:56 PM
I had an Indian doc. His name was Israel and he was Christian. Dude was all over the place.

Lacks focus.

Valmy

My roommate in College was Indian. His last name was Thomas and his family had been Christians for centuries. And he was second generation and had a thick west Texas accent. So boy was I surprised when we first met in person and he was an Indian guy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

dps

Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2017, 02:34:12 PM

So I started looking it up.  In most countries, Sikhs / Punjabis (as I understand it all Sikhs speak Punjabi, but not all Punjabi-speakers are Sikhs) Punjabi-speakers form the majority of South Asians in Canada, as well as in the UK and US. 

Where did you find that information?  Because I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find anything that clearly breaks down the linguistic/regional origin of Indian-Americans.

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 01, 2017, 05:03:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2017, 02:34:12 PM

So I started looking it up.  In most countries, Sikhs / Punjabis (as I understand it all Sikhs speak Punjabi, but not all Punjabi-speakers are Sikhs) Punjabi-speakers form the majority of South Asians in Canada, as well as in the UK and US. 

Where did you find that information?  Because I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find anything that clearly breaks down the linguistic/regional origin of Indian-Americans.

Only main thing I found was mentions that Indian immigrants in US primarily come from Punjab or Gujarat.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I hear that the Bangladeshi population is growing rapidly as well. Seems weird that their Indian Bengali neighbors might not be.

I am skeptical it is really that regional. I suspect most parts of India are well represented in the US.

Josquius

Pretty fertile rural place, albeit with major urban centres and not too far from Delhi so they're not entirely bumpkins?
The Punjabis in the British army leading the way?

I have heard that back in the 50s when bulk labour was being recruited for the British factories that muslims and sikhs were very well looked upon as there was some racist belief about their religion making them better and more subservient workers than the hindus.
██████
██████
██████