Out of all the groups in India, why is it that its mostly Punjabis who emigrate?

Started by Barrister, January 31, 2017, 02:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I can't find the actual quote now but its not something I'm making up. It is a viewpoint that was believed at the time.

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2017, 09:04:48 AM
I have to say that is a very bizarre stereotype to have of Sikhs.

Not really when you think about it. The Sikhs even to this day make up a disproportional amount of the armed forces of India. In the British Empire days it was even more so.
Being in the army is all about discipline and following orders. Exactly the qualities you want from your shop floor workers.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2017, 09:14:09 AM

It is Jos.

He "has heard" pretty much anything he wants to believe is true.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: dps on February 01, 2017, 05:03:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2017, 02:34:12 PM

So I started looking it up.  In most countries, Sikhs / Punjabis (as I understand it all Sikhs speak Punjabi, but not all Punjabi-speakers are Sikhs) Punjabi-speakers form the majority of South Asians in Canada, as well as in the UK and US. 

Where did you find that information?  Because I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find anything that clearly breaks down the linguistic/regional origin of Indian-Americans.

I would withdraw the comment that Punjabis are the majority in the US.  But it does appear to be true for Canada and the UK.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2017, 10:38:31 AM

So I started looking it up.  In most countries, Sikhs / Punjabis (as I understand it all Sikhs speak Punjabi, but not all Punjabi-speakers are Sikhs) Punjabi-speakers form the majority of South Asians in Canada, as well as in the UK and US. 

Where did you find that information?  Because I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find anything that clearly breaks down the linguistic/regional origin of Indian-Americans.

I would withdraw the comment that Punjabis are the majority in the US.  But it does appear to be true for Canada and the UK.

There are a lot of Punjabis in the UK but they aren't a majority. They make up about 45% of the UK diaspora.

A few of half-baked theories as to why Punjabis are over-represented:

- Partition. Millions of Punjabis lost their homes due to partition and may have been more willing to emigrate as a result (and this was at a time when the UK was encouraging immigration and had open borders to the Commonwealth)
- Caste - many upper caste Hindus believes they would lose caste if they went overseas. That view is not widespread now but it was during the grat waves of Asian migration in the 50s and 60s. Sikhs did not take this view.

There are also a lot of Gujaritis here following their expulsion from Uganda.

Other big communities are Bengalis (mainly from Bangladesh and mainly in the restaurant trade) and Tamils

Fate

Quote from: Gups on February 01, 2017, 10:57:35 AM

There are a lot of Punjabis in the UK but they aren't a majority. They make up about 45% of the UK diaspora.

A few of half-baked theories as to why Punjabis are over-represented:

- Partition. Millions of Punjabis lost their homes due to partition and may have been more willing to emigrate as a result (and this was at a time when the UK was encouraging immigration and had open borders to the Commonwealth)
- Caste - many upper caste Hindus believes they would lose caste if they went overseas. That view is not widespread now but it was during the grat waves of Asian migration in the 50s and 60s. Sikhs did not take this view.

There are also a lot of Gujaritis here following their expulsion from Uganda.

Other big communities are Bengalis (mainly from Bangladesh and mainly in the restaurant trade) and Tamils

Not just Uganda. East Africa in general became pretty hostile to Gujaratis during/after decolonization. My (2nd gen Indian) girlfriend's family owned a store in Mombasa which was burned down by black rioters in the 60s. They applied to the UK and US simultaneously, but ended up in the US.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on February 01, 2017, 10:30:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2017, 09:14:09 AM

It is Jos.

He "has heard" pretty much anything he wants to believe is true.

Why would I want to believe that? What benefit is there to lying about a random obscure fact? :blink:
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

the stereotype iirc is their religion makes them crazy good fighters. I don't think I've heard the one that says their religion makes them loyal

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 01, 2017, 11:24:01 AM
the stereotype iirc is their religion makes them crazy good fighters. I don't think I've heard the one that says their religion makes them loyal

Just ask Indira Gandhi.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Mainly Gujaratis in my neighbourhood, both Muslim and Hindu.

I'd prefer to include Bangladeshis and Pakistanis in the totals though, the current setup is an aberration  :lol:

dps

I'm not saying that you were wrong, just that I can't find any information one way or the other.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on February 01, 2017, 12:27:48 PM

I'm not saying that you were wrong, just that I can't find any information one way or the other.

I went back and did more searching, best I could find was a news article from India reporting on US census results, which showed Hindi as the most popular "Indian" language in the US, with Punjabi back in 4th or 5th place.

I was hoping Gupta would be able to enlighten me, but if he can't, then there's probably no easy answer to the patterns and distribution of the Indian diaspora. 

The one factor though is immigration patterns can be self-re-inforcing.  Once the first immigrants get established, they sponsor in their family (who then in turn sponsor in more family).  One a city becomes established as having a large community, other resources such as churches/temples, newspapers, restaurants, and the like come along, which encourages even more immigration.  Maybe that's all that's been happening.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

Don't forget that the vast majority of Punjabis are Muslim. 100m Punjabis are Mulsim compared to about 15m Sikhs and maybe 10m Hindus. Punjabi is more of a Pakistani language than an Indian one - west Punjab in Pakistan has 5 times the population of its Indian neighbour