News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wanted: Factory Workers, Degree Required

Started by CountDeMoney, January 30, 2017, 10:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 31, 2017, 07:17:49 AM
The answer is easy. Just force these companies to operate their factories using non-automated, ancient 1950s technology. Well played, Donald.  :bowler:

Your move, capitalism.

:lol:
"I am proud to introduce the latest addition to the Trump line of industrial excellence:  the loom will break the paradigm in today's textile industry, providing countless jobs in making America Great Again.  Checkmate, 21st century!"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I recently learnt of plans for three new factories for a large German manufacturing company. The assembly line would be fully robotized and controlled remotely by operators off-site. The 3 factories would be linked and synched, so a single operator would be simultaneously performing the same operation at the 3 factories, which would be supplying 3 different markets.

1960s style manufacturing is never coming back. Trump or no Trump.

CountDeMoney

100 workers turn into 10 robots and 1 technician.  Math of the future.

Syt

This is a president who thinks military orders should be delivered in writing via courier, not electronically. I'm surprised he doesn't advocate going back to subsistence farming and cash crop plantations.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2017, 01:16:49 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 10:18:34 PM
Oh snap!

Hey they needed 800 workers and 15% of the 10,000 passed their test. It sounds like plenty of qualified applicants to me.
that just means that other plants won't get workers as qualified because Siemens took them all.

It means there won't be enough workers to fill the jobs needed. So we'll get both a labor shortage and high unemployment.

The fact is these people are deluding themselves. Blinded by excessive credentialism. You don't need a degree to do a job involving computers. Hell, you don't need a degree to build sophisticated computer networks either. Engineering jobs. I see job listings for administrative assistants now requiring masters' degrees. It's crazy.

Younger people aren't buying into that anymore though. The economics doesn't work for them. It's that factor that will correct the imbalance, but it might take a couple generations to wash out.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

I advertised one position requiring a Bachelor's and I got 700 applications.  In truth I just need one smart and hardworking person.  Who cares about the Bachelor's.  But the problem is, if I lower the requirement to high school graduate, I'll probably get a few thousand applications that I need to short list. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 31, 2017, 03:53:10 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2017, 01:16:49 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2017, 10:18:34 PM
Oh snap!

Hey they needed 800 workers and 15% of the 10,000 passed their test. It sounds like plenty of qualified applicants to me.
that just means that other plants won't get workers as qualified because Siemens took them all.

It means there won't be enough workers to fill the jobs needed. So we'll get both a labor shortage and high unemployment.

The fact is these people are deluding themselves. Blinded by excessive credentialism. You don't need a degree to do a job involving computers. Hell, you don't need a degree to build sophisticated computer networks either. Engineering jobs. I see job listings for administrative assistants now requiring masters' degrees. It's crazy.

Younger people aren't buying into that anymore though. The economics doesn't work for them. It's that factor that will correct the imbalance, but it might take a couple generations to wash out.

As long as the Human Resources Industrial Complex exists as the primary barrier between hiring authorities and applicants, whether or not young people buy into it is irrelevant. Credentials, certs and degrees are the check box price of admission.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on January 31, 2017, 10:57:53 AM
This is a president who thinks military orders should be delivered in writing via courier, not electronically. I'm surprised he doesn't advocate going back to subsistence farming and cash crop plantations.

that's for the second term...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2017, 04:14:24 PM

As long as the Human Resources Industrial Complex exists as the primary barrier between hiring authorities and applicants, whether or not young people buy into it is irrelevant. Credentials, certs and degrees are the check box price of admission.

Yeah you're right.

Eventually, business and labor both are going to realize how much HR is costing them. The US seems like it will be first, primarily because students have to pay their own tuition.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 31, 2017, 04:27:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2017, 04:14:24 PM

Yeah you're right.

Eventually, business and labor both are going to realize how much HR is costing them. The US seems like it will be first, primarily because students have to pay their own tuition.

I remain to be convinced that HR is costing companies versus saving them money from lawsuits related to hiring and firing decisions. Bureaucratic processes may not seem efficient, but can be defended in a court of law.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on January 31, 2017, 05:57:20 PM
I remain to be convinced that HR is costing companies versus saving them money from lawsuits related to hiring and firing decisions. Bureaucratic processes may not seem efficient, but can be defended in a court of law.

Which is why I restricted my statement to "the primary barrier between hiring authorities and applicants."  Stop being Assburgery.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2017, 07:54:50 PM
Which is why I restricted my statement to "the primary barrier between hiring authorities and applicants."  Stop being Assburgery.

Stop being Moneycentric.  He was responding to Mimsy.  Doofus.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2017, 08:00:45 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2017, 07:54:50 PM

Stop being Moneycentric.  He was responding to Mimsy.  Doofus.

Everybody gets liquidated in your world anyway, the fuck you care.  Piss off.