News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wanted: Factory Workers, Degree Required

Started by CountDeMoney, January 30, 2017, 10:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on January 31, 2017, 04:04:19 PM
I advertised one position requiring a Bachelor's and I got 700 applications.  In truth I just need one smart and hardworking person.  Who cares about the Bachelor's.  But the problem is, if I lower the requirement to high school graduate, I'll probably get a few thousand applications that I need to short list.
I think one of the problems is that there is no draft system when it comes to job search, so that unemployed could be efficiently channeled to job openings.  Let's say there are a 1000 openings and a 1000 unemployed.  If everyone applies to every position, and the top 10 applicants get selected for interviews, you'll have 990 unemployed people complaining how they sent out 1000 resumes and got no bites.  Employers, on the other hand, will complain about how they have to winnow down 1000 resumes, and 990 of the employers will complain about how they couldn't get any of the 10 good candidates out of the huge shit pile and had to leave the position unfilled.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2017, 08:24:54 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 31, 2017, 04:04:19 PM
I advertised one position requiring a Bachelor's and I got 700 applications.  In truth I just need one smart and hardworking person.  Who cares about the Bachelor's.  But the problem is, if I lower the requirement to high school graduate, I'll probably get a few thousand applications that I need to short list.
I think one of the problems is that there is no draft system when it comes to job search, so that unemployed could be efficiently channeled to job openings.  Let's say there are a 1000 openings and a 1000 unemployed.  If everyone applies to every position, and the top 10 applicants get selected for interviews, you'll have 990 unemployed people complaining how they sent out 1000 resumes and got no bites.  Employers, on the other hand, will complain about how they have to winnow down 1000 resumes, and 990 of the employers will complain about how they couldn't get any of the 10 good candidates out of the huge shit pile and had to leave the position unfilled.

That's one of the good things about accounting. Recruiters, in general, do the shit shifting. At least in the Canadian market. it's not the best, but in general they have a better idea than HR what are actual qualification and relevant experience. Its starting to slip away a bit though because of things like linkedin being much cheaper.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.