Shooting / Terror attack in Quebec city mosque

Started by viper37, January 29, 2017, 10:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 30, 2017, 12:45:47 PM
@Duque -  the Liberal party opposed that as well  :hmm:

Though I do agree that not covering up one's face when providing public services is a red line for me too.

The Liberals are well-known multiculturalists with a thing for Islam(ism). Liberal in name only. Post-modern left is more like it.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 30, 2017, 11:27:20 AM
Does not seem like a very liberal mosque. Not extremist indeed, average conservative (bon teint in French for Viper), or are the standards for mosques so low?
Bélanger-Campeau was about Quebec's constitutional future.  Bill 94 was a mess, and the Charter of Values was a tad discriminatory toward muslims already employed by the government and with no contact to the public.

And yes, the standard for religious organizations are pretty low.  L'Assemblée des Évêques has taken much more extreme positions on some political subjects in the past.  And compared to people like Adil Charkaoui, yes, they are extremely liberal.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Only one shooter, the Morrocan guy was a bystander who fled when seeing armed people (the cops) entering the mosque.  He's considered a simple witness now and has been released.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

sbr

I'll have to dig up the source but I read the Moroccan guy is the one who called 911 [or whatever the metric conversion is].

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on January 30, 2017, 04:16:32 PM
Only one shooter, the Morrocan guy was a bystander who fled when seeing armed people (the cops) entering the mosque.  He's considered a simple witness now and has been released.

Luckiest bastard in the bunch.  Had that occurred in the US, he'd be dead.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2017, 06:42:37 PM

Oh stop.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 30, 2017, 08:13:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2017, 06:42:37 PM

Oh stop.

I USED THE FORCE NECESSARY TO ELIMINATE THE MUSLIM THREAT

viper37

Quote from: sbr on January 30, 2017, 05:04:01 PM
I'll have to dig up the source but I read the Moroccan guy is the one who called 911 [or whatever the metric conversion is].
Yes, he was taking care of the wounded after he heard the gunshots, but when he saw the cops entering with guns in hands, he tought someone was coming back to shoot him, so he ran.

I was thinking the same thing today, but I was hesitant to post it :D

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2017, 08:22:24 PM

I USED THE FORCE NECESSARY TO ELIMINATE THE MUSLIM THREAT

You can take the Cop out of Baltimore, but can't take the Baltimore out of the cop?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Just read that too.
Says a lot about our media that he was reported as the attacker....
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on January 31, 2017, 03:49:27 AM
Just read that too.
Says a lot about our media that he was reported as the attacker....
He was arrested and the police released his name (albeit erronously at first).  It's only later during the day that he was released and considered a witness.  Can't blame the media on this.  The guy panicked, the police saw someone fleeing the scene, they ran after him and arrested him.

Josephus

Islamic fundies/Syrian refugees looking awfully white these days.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on January 31, 2017, 08:51:46 AM
Islamic fundies/Syrian refugees looking awfully white these days.

Naturally. The case of Dow vs. United States ruled that Syrians are to be classified as white persons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_v._United_States

#syrianssowhite
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Details are still sketchy, but the accused has mentionned being inspired by Donald Trump's anti-muslim rethoric.  Non whites are the ennemy, apparently.

He went from moderately conservative to full blown racist over the last year.

he used a modified long rifle that jammed because of the mods he made, and one 9mm pistol.  The gun was mostly likely registered.

One of the victims tried to tackle him to save others.  Yes, the irony did not escape the Languishite that I am :(
In doing so, he likely saved a couple of other people in the room, it's hard tot tell at this point.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 01, 2017, 10:00:05 AM
Details are still sketchy, but the accused has mentionned being inspired by Donald Trump's anti-muslim rethorice.  Non whites are the ennemy, apparently.

Jesus.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."