Shooting / Terror attack in Quebec city mosque

Started by viper37, January 29, 2017, 10:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

4 dead, many injured.  details are sketchy.  2 people arrested, possibly a 3rd on the loose.  At least one suspect had a Quebec sounding accent.  This mosque received some threats in the past, namely a pig's head on its door.

Imho, it's not a coincidence that it happens just when Trump is implementing his muslim banning policy.  Lots of Trumpeters in the area, sadly.

English link

French text

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Not every shitty act in the world is Trump's fault dude, come on.

There is a good percentage of Quebecers who revel in ignorance and racism. Let's fix our own shitty aspects of tribalism before blaming others.

dps

Hmm.  It says that the attackers shouted "Allah Akbar!"  Could be Muslim extremists who don't think the worshippers at that particular mosque are devout enough.  Could be non-Muslims shouting it sarcastically, or just to disguise their identity/motives.  Could be, well, a lot of things at this point.  The police say that there have been 2 arrests, but nothing seems to have been released about the suspects' nationality/ethnicity/religion/motivation, other than the one witness who said that the attackers seemed to have a Quebecois accent.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on January 29, 2017, 11:07:24 PM
Hmm.  It says that the attackers shouted "Allah Akbar!"  ... Could be non-Muslims shouting it sarcastically,

Radical Ironic Hipsterism. 

viper37

Quote from: dps on January 29, 2017, 11:07:24 PM
Hmm.  It says that the attackers shouted "Allah Akbar!"
It seemed to me that they had a Quebecois accent.

And they chased one of the suspect to Ile d'Orléans.  No muslim could ever hope to hide there.  It's a small island in front of Quebec city, with mostly farmers and other white people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on January 29, 2017, 11:14:23 PM
It's a small island in front of Quebec city, with mostly farmers and other white people.

You don't let non-whites farm in Quebec?  ;)

Josquius

Quote from: Zoupa on January 29, 2017, 11:06:53 PM

There is a good percentage of Quebecers who revel in ignorance and racism. Let's fix our own shitty aspects of tribalism before blaming others.

Not so much his fault.  But we have observed the same thing in the UK.
Since the brexit vote,  a validation of small minded ignorant xenophobia on a national level,  a lot of the scum have been emboldened and crawled out from beneath the fridge.
Wouldn't be surprised if Trump has had a similar effect in making people think this is the way the wind is blowing and their time is now.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Trump is merely a symptom, the disease is a widespread phenomenon.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Zoupa on January 29, 2017, 11:06:53 PM

That's BS, Zoupa. They look at him like America's Nazi looked at Hitler in the 30s. Justification & a new will to act.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

saskganesh

Sure, Canadian racists across the country are emboldened by Trump. I think that's fairly evident.
humans were created in their own image

Josquius

Aaaannnnddddd there's been an attack on a mosque in Texas too.
Damn Daesh's Marketing and Recruitment department is having a great week.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: dps on January 29, 2017, 11:25:55 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 29, 2017, 11:14:23 PM
It's a small island in front of Quebec city, with mostly farmers and other white people.

You don't let non-whites farm in Quebec?  ;)
yeah, we're racist like that ;)

Given how hard it is to acquire a farm and naviguate through the bureaucracy to obtain financing and quotas, the likelyhood that someone from a non farming family will itself become a farmer is extremely low.

viper37

The 2 suspects arrested so far were university students.  My university, the one I graduated from. :(
Quebec city police will hold a conference later this morning with more details.

viper37

One Morroccan (Mohammed Khadir), one Quebecer (Alexandre Bissonnette).

French link