Main Menu

Help Yi Buy a Car

Started by Admiral Yi, January 26, 2017, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2017, 02:54:29 AM
Hey Fredo, toss me some accounting expertise.  If my mom pays the seller directly can we duck the gift tax?

Took a look at the used Mercs and Jeeps available at local dealers online.  Pretty punky selection.  And I don't get why the Jeep mother page says the Sport starts at 23 and the dealerships are listing one and two year old cars for 30+.

I'm a CPA, but know jack shit about taxes (I do financial reporting). So what I know about tax is from taking a couple classes in school.

That said, unless it is her car that she is going to let you drive, the answer will probably be no. She would be gifting you a car versus the money for the car, and at the point of sale they would have the same value.

That said, I think there is a lifetime exclusion for the gift tax that has a really high (multimillion dollar) value. So unless your mom is going to leave a massive estate, whether she goes over the annual limit really shouldn't result in either her or her estate paying more tax. It may just be an extra tax form.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2017, 11:10:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 26, 2017, 11:09:04 PM
Somebody leases a car for 3 years.  Then they turn it in for another car.  The dealer sells it.  It's a used car, but they're usually in much better shape due to the mileage restrictions (10k to 12k or so a year) and people usually take much better care of them.

So like a certified pre-owned blah blah blah? Sure I could go for that.
yeah, it's often like that.  The dealer takes it, does an inspection, certifies it has had no accidents, makes some cosmetic repairs and seels it for a 40-60% discount to the original price 3 years ago.

Just make sure you look at the car at daylight, you inspect it very closely for scratch marks on the wheels or body and have someone take a look at the breaks and tires.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2017, 02:54:29 AM
Hey Fredo, toss me some accounting expertise.  If my mom pays the seller directly can we duck the gift tax?
Wait until Trump's tax reform, there will be no more taxes.  For anyone gifting 1 billion or more. ;)

The way I would do it is have my mother buy the car, put it in her name, insure the car for you as primary driver and her as secondary.  You pay for her insurance, you run the car.  In a couple of years, once the car has depreciated enough, she can gift it to you.  Even if it goes a bit above the limit, you'd escape most of the tax then.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2017, 05:57:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 27, 2017, 05:54:21 PM
What our good friend Yi should do is just own the mid-life crisis and buy a Mustang or Camaro.  Put some snow ties on the thing and it'll be passable for winter driving.

:lol:  yeah, it'll be passable alright.  As all the 4x4s pass it when it's in a ditch.

At least he will have a cool looking cast somewhere on his body.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 27, 2017, 05:57:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 27, 2017, 05:54:21 PM
What our good friend Yi should do is just own the mid-life crisis and buy a Mustang or Camaro.  Put some snow ties on the thing and it'll be passable for winter driving.

:lol:  yeah, it'll be passable alright.  As all the 4x4s pass it when it's in a ditch.
THey're not ideal, I would certainly recommend against it, but people in 4x4 often are overconfident, and that leads them in the ditch, while the guy in the Camaro pass by them.

Also, winter tires in the correct sizes for Camaros and Mustang are pretty hard to come buy.  There used to be like one brand of winter tires for my Camaro.

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2017, 10:31:02 AM

That said, I think there is a lifetime exclusion for the gift tax that has a really high (multimillion dollar) value. So unless your mom is going to leave a massive estate, whether she goes over the annual limit really shouldn't result in either her or her estate paying more tax. It may just be an extra tax form.

This.  The annual exemption is $14K (meaning under this = no paperwork).  Any amount over, is theoretically subject to the gift tax. 

In reality, as AR said, the amount over just hits on a lifetime limit that most non-millionaires will never get close to touching.  Going over the $14K just means you that do have to file a silly IRS form, but not actually pay any "tax".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on January 28, 2017, 11:00:56 AM
THey're not ideal, I would certainly recommend against it, but people in 4x4 often are overconfident, and that leads them in the ditch, while the guy in the Camaro pass by them.

Yes, we call those people "women."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 28, 2017, 11:04:02 AM
This.  The annual exemption is $14K (meaning under this = no paperwork).  Any amount over, is theoretically subject to the gift tax. 

In reality, as AR said, the amount over just hits on a lifetime limit that most non-millionaires will never get close to touching.  Going over the $14K just means you that do have to file a silly IRS form, but not actually pay any "tax".

Mucho helpful!

Ed Anger

I've enjoyed my Jeep Grand Cherokees over the years. Sure, one of them had its transmission go kaput but still, I like em.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 28, 2017, 05:28:35 PM
I've enjoyed my Jeep Grand Cherokees over the years. Sure, one of them had its transmission go kaput but still, I like em.

We drove a Grand Cherokee home from Switzerland yesterday. The car hit 9999km when we arrived, so it's pretty new for a rental. Nice car. Loaded with 4 passengers and luggage, made it easily to 160-170 kph on the highway while remaining calm and easy to handle; no sluggishness, no jitters.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Other than the fact that they are some of the most unreliable cars built on the planet today, Jeeps are OSSUM!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on January 28, 2017, 05:34:50 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 28, 2017, 05:28:35 PM

We drove a Grand Cherokee home from Switzerland yesterday. The car hit 9999km when we arrived, so it's pretty new for a rental. Nice car. Loaded with 4 passengers and luggage, made it easily to 160-170 kph on the highway while remaining calm and easy to handle; no sluggishness, no jitters.
Not sure I'd want to go 100 mph in a Jeep.

Barrister

Re gift taxes... can you buy it and put it in both yours and her name, which should then pass solely to you on her passing?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 28, 2017, 11:04:02 AM

Thought about this some more, and not sure it makes sense.  Are you saying someone could give me ONE MILLION dollars, I fill out a form that says it's really 14K for this year, 14K for next year, etc., etc., and I don't have to pay any income tax on that?