January 2021 - What state is America and the World in after Trump?

Started by mongers, January 14, 2017, 01:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: dps on January 17, 2017, 07:47:06 PM
I'd say that it's a major insult to Jackson.

You think someone is closer to trump than Jackson?  Feel free to share.  I mean, it is hard to insult Jackson, after all.  He's the worst pre-Trump president by far, but if you think Trump is closer to a better president than Jackson, have at it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2017, 08:07:06 PM
Trump, for all his bluster and the fact that he's got the White House, is so incredibly out of his depth.  He doesn't know policy or politics, and most of the people he is surrounding himself with don't, either.  The ones that do will eventually resign.  Despite their electoral victory, they are all on incredibly thin ice in Washington, DC.

The moment he puts his hand on the Bible on Friday, he will be impeachable.  If he threatens the traditional GOP legislative agenda that Priebus, Pence and Ryan want to run, he and his little group--psycho Flynn, the LL Bean Bond Villain, Uday and Qusay, Mr. and Mrs. Ivanka, and his cyclon wife--will find themselves on the outs very quickly.  The legislative avalanche will crush them, and if the GOP wants him out, he will be out.

This.  Mere election bestows no wisdom, and trump hasn't got a clue as to what he is getting into.   He thinks he is hot shit personified because he owns a building in NYC.  His whole wealth disappears into the pool of money being made off of Washington by the hour.  He thinks that he can run the presidency as a cosy little family affair.  That worked for Mrs. Wilson, but that was a century ago.  It won't fly now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on January 17, 2017, 09:27:32 PM
Quote from: dps on January 17, 2017, 07:47:06 PM
I'd say that it's a major insult to Jackson.

You think someone is closer to trump than Jackson?  Feel free to share.  I mean, it is hard to insult Jackson, after all.  He's the worst pre-Trump president by far, but if you think Trump is closer to a better president than Jackson, have at it.

Well, to start with, I don't share your view that Jackson was all that bad.  Guys like Pierce or Harding were much worse IMO.  Heck, I'd rate Jackson ahead of Wilson, but then I guess everybody here is probably already aware that Wilson pushes my buttons for some reason.

I do see some parallels between Jackson and Trump, mostly in that both won through populist appeals.

As I stated above, I think if Bryan had ever won the White House, he would have been about what we can expect out of Trump.  Especially if Bryan had won on his first attempt.

viper37

Quote from: citizen k on January 17, 2017, 03:24:52 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 16, 2017, 10:31:59 AM
they used a phishing technique, with a false e-mail.  Common technique used by russian mobsters, but usually, they simply encrypt your data and give you a password in exchange for payment.

It was a classic whistleblower leak. The DNC dissenter physically handed off the emails to an ex-diplomat working with Wikileaks.
No Russians involved.

No it wasn't, it was a hack:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Democratic_National_Committee_email_leak

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on January 17, 2017, 05:19:43 PM
His approval ratings suck.  For some, he may be a revolutionary figure, but the people who see him that way are as likely to be former Democrats as they are Republicans.  Republicans are having buyer's remorse.
Well, as the polls shows, 44% of Americans have a positive view of Trump.  Assuming most Democrats have a negative view of Trump instead of an even split among party ines, that leaves a majority of Republicans with a favorable view of Trump.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

I imagine lots of independents like him as well, anti-establishment types.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2017, 09:43:43 AM
His approval ratings suck.  For some, he may be a revolutionary figure, but the people who see him that way are as likely to be former Democrats as they are Republicans.  Republicans are having buyer's remorse.
Well, as the polls shows, 44% of Americans have a positive view of Trump.  Assuming most Democrats have a negative view of Trump instead of an even split among party ines, that leaves a majority of Republicans with a favorable view of Trump.

This is when they tend to peak-- that honeymoon period.  44% during the honeymoon period is pretty bad.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2017, 09:46:37 AMThis is when they tend to peak-- that honeymoon period.  44% during the honeymoon period is pretty bad.

trump is unique, though. once he proves himself, that number will soar. his honeymoon period will be his entire presidency.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 09:45:09 AM
are there that many independants, enough to make a shift in the polls?

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2017, 09:46:37 AM
Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2017, 09:43:43 AM

This is when they tend to peak-- that honeymoon period.  44% during the honeymoon period is pretty bad.
True.  But it's still very high, too high for the Republican party to try anything.  They'll need to have internal polls about his support among core Republican voters.  Pissing off Democrats and independants is not much cause for concern, but pissing off Repubican voters would be dramatic.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2017, 10:28:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 09:45:09 AM
are there that many independants, enough to make a shift in the polls?

40% of Americans are independents so...yes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on January 18, 2017, 09:48:05 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2017, 09:46:37 AMThis is when they tend to peak-- that honeymoon period.  44% during the honeymoon period is pretty bad.

trump is unique, though. once he proves himself, that number will soar. his honeymoon period will be his entire presidency.

If the economy improves during his administration, then yeah I agree he'd get a nice bump. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Oil prices are going back up so he can take credit for that at least :P

Though that is kind of a double-edged sword.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 10:38:50 AM
Oil prices are going back up so he can take credit for that at least :P

Though that is kind of a double-edged sword.

It helps green jobs :yes:

LaCroix