Would you give up a second Obama term to avoid a Trump presidency?

Started by derspiess, January 11, 2017, 12:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which scenario is less bad?

Romney defeats Obama in 2012 & is re-elected in 2016; no Trump candidacy
31 (67.4%)
Obama defeats Romney in 2012 & Trump defeats Hillary in 2016
5 (10.9%)
Jaron defeats Jaron in 2012, but then Jaron comes back to beat Jaron in 2016
10 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

derspiess

I think we can all agree that President Obama is one of the best presidents of all time, and that his only fault was not being tough enough on the evil Republicans.  But we also know that Trump is basically Hitler.  So...

If you could jump to an alternate reality where Mitt Romney defeats Obama in the 2012 election and then wins re-election in 2016, keeping Donald Trump out of the presidential picture, would you do that and forgo a glorious second Obama term?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Man you sure do love Obama Spicey. Your green job must be amazing.

But I think Romney is much preferable to Trump.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2017, 12:01:28 PM
Man you sure do love Obama Spicey. Your green job must be amazing.

I loved him enough to buy five of his plates.  Pretty sure that's more than any of you bought.

QuoteBut I think Romney is much preferable to Trump.

It's not that simple, though.  Is Trump bad enough that you cut Obama's reign in half and deny him all his accomplishments in his second term?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2017, 12:00:08 PM
I think we can all agree that President Obama is one of the best presidents of all time, and that his only fault was not being tough enough on the evil Republicans.  But we also know that Trump is basically Hitler.  So...

If you could jump to an alternate reality where Mitt Romney defeats Obama in the 2012 election and then wins re-election in 2016, keeping Donald Trump out of the presidential picture, would you do that and forgo a glorious second Obama term?

Yes
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on January 11, 2017, 12:02:20 PM
Who do we end up with in 2020 in each scenario?

Anyone's guess.  But let's go with a fresh set of GOP and Democrat choices in the alternate reality scenario, and Trump running for re-election in the historical scenario.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2017, 12:06:15 PM
Of course. I voted for Romney in 2012. :mellow:

Yeah, I don't see how this is all that controversial.  Romney was a candidate worthy of the office, at the very least.

I think Spicey might have misread his audience...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on January 11, 2017, 12:09:15 PM

I really didn't know what to expect.  Which is why I made the poll.

frunk

This scenario seems like a no brainer, a more interesting one would be 2012 Romney 2016 Sanders.

Phillip V

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2017, 12:06:15 PM
Of course. I voted for Romney in 2012. :mellow:

Yeah, I don't see how this is all that controversial.  Romney was a candidate worthy of the office, at the very least.

I guess he thinks we're so blindly partisan as he is. I'd happily trade 4 years of Obama to avoid Trump. Meh, Romney was acceptable.

Barrister

I mean for me it's a non-brainer, since I foreigner non-voted for Romney in 2012, but would have non-voted for Clinton just to stop Trump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2017, 12:11:21 PM

I really didn't know what to expect.  Which is why I made the poll.

Yes, I'm sure that's why you lead the poll with that idiotic strawman.

-J. R. R. Tolkien