H-1B visa: It's everywhere you want to be! For now

Started by CountDeMoney, January 08, 2017, 08:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2017, 04:16:52 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 09, 2017, 03:46:57 PM
About 65% of h1-b grantees work in computer-related occupations.  The program is capped at 65,000 per year so that we are talking about a little over 40,000 people in occupations held by over 3.8 million Americans.  That's the most impacted sector.

"The negative effects of this program are limited" is not the most brilliant sales pitch for its continuation.
Who is selling this program, and when did they say "the negative effects of this program are limited"?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2017, 04:47:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2017, 04:42:44 PM
rolleyes:

Also, it is true what I said - he made no mention of negative impacts.

Good point! He might be throwing out fun facts! :yes:

I don't know why he thinks this discussion needs to involve facts.  We have Trumpfacts, which trump facts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

About 65% of h1-b grantees work in computer-related occupations.  The program is capped at 65,000 per year so that we are talking about a little over 40,000 people in occupations held by over 3.8 million Americans.  That's the most impacted sector.

"The negative effects of this program are limited" is not the most brilliant sales pitch for its continuation.

It's true, from a certain point of view.

Tech jobs don't leave because of H1Bs. The functions themselves go overseas. Only the few higher-level functions that remain onshore are affected by the visas, but that's just in a cost-dampening way. What we see now is the vast majority of IT jobs created in the US are help desk types and other lower-prestige jobs. So the people don't go into it anymore because there isn't anything to shoot for.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

I would think the benefits are pretty obvious, although again they are limited by the relatively small size of the program.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 09, 2017, 06:11:59 PM
I would think the benefits are pretty obvious, although again they are limited by the relatively small size of the program.

The benefits as conceived or as executed?

The Minsky Moment

Either.  The program either as conceived or executed brings in a bunch of smart educated people.  I think smart educated people are good to have.  Although opinions may differ these days.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 09, 2017, 06:17:29 PM
Either.  The program either as conceived or executed brings in a bunch of smart educated people.  I think smart educated people are good to have.  Although opinions may differ these days.

Kind of a liability, or so I've heard regarding the US today.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2017, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 09, 2017, 06:11:59 PM

The benefits as conceived or as executed?

Do you think that H-1B visa holders are stealing jobs from Americans as the program is currently executed?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 09, 2017, 06:49:27 PM
Do you think that H-1B visa holders are stealing jobs from Americans as the program is currently executed?

Mostly. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2017, 06:51:07 PM

Mostly.

That's retarded.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 09, 2017, 07:00:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2017, 06:51:07 PM

Mostly.

That's retarded.

It's retarded even if we're discussing manual labor jobs, like picking crops.  It's even more retarded when we're discussing tech jobs.

If immigrants or people on work visas are taking jobs from Americans, it's because they're doing jobs American are too lazy to do or aren't qualified to do.  They only time it might be reasonable to argue that they're stealing jobs from Americans is if they're working for less than minimum wage--in which case the problem isn't with immigration policy, but with lax enforcement of minimum wage laws.

Berkut

I don't think there is any doubt that the availability of H1B workers depresses salaries. That is just basic economics.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2017, 07:16:10 PM
I don't think there is any doubt that the availability of H1B workers depresses salaries. That is just basic economics.

Bullshit.  Employers depress salaries, not immigrants.

CountDeMoney