H-1B visa: It's everywhere you want to be! For now

Started by CountDeMoney, January 08, 2017, 08:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

I wonder how this will affect the many canucks who come to north dakota, and stay to work, because they couldn't get into manitoba law  :hmm:

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on January 09, 2017, 03:36:41 AM
H1Bs are big for the entertainment industry, this can potentially suck for me although I don't need to work "onsite".

The procedure, unless it got changed since the late 2000s - when I was over there - involved your professional union (WGA, DGA, SATSE...) testifying that you brought some unique skill to the table, and that you weren't taking a job from an American.

Same in academia. But you do have to be onsite, despite the massive efforts by many colleges and universities to push electronic courses.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: LaCroix on January 09, 2017, 09:02:32 AM
I wonder how this will affect the many canucks who come to north dakota, and stay to work, because they couldn't get into manitoba law  :hmm:

And you people thought I was joking when I said U of Manitoba Law was a prestigious school! :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

did I say that? I've known for awhile that canuck law schools have way higher admission standards than the average US law school

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 09, 2017, 12:48:04 AM
I doubt it for Canada. It might help in Dublin though.

It's good for Canada too. If they want to hire someone for a Seattle office but the visa is too much of a hassle, they frequently hire them to a Vancouver office. Amazon, Microsoft, Google all do that as I understand it and I wouldn't be surprised if other large corporations do as well.

The Minsky Moment

About 65% of h1-b grantees work in computer-related occupations.  The program is capped at 65,000 per year so that we are talking about a little over 40,000 people in occupations held by over 3.8 million Americans.  That's the most impacted sector.

Trump's rhetoric in the campaign is that he favored immigration but not "bad" immigration.  But the H1-B program targets college graduates, and the majority have at least a master's degree.  There is a high proportion of Indian national which one would not think is a problematic nationality in the Trump worldview.  So if he is against this what is he for?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 09, 2017, 03:46:57 PM
About 65% of h1-b grantees work in computer-related occupations.  The program is capped at 65,000 per year so that we are talking about a little over 40,000 people in occupations held by over 3.8 million Americans.  That's the most impacted sector.

Trump's rhetoric in the campaign is that he favored immigration but not "bad" immigration.  But the H1-B program targets college graduates, and the majority have at least a master's degree.  There is a high proportion of Indian national which one would not think is a problematic nationality in the Trump worldview.  So if he is against this what is he for?

I guess it sounds nice as a tweet about controlling immigration?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

"The negative effects of this program are limited" is not the most brilliant sales pitch for its continuation.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2017, 04:16:52 PM

"The negative effects of this program are limited" is not the most brilliant sales pitch for its continuation.

Seems like our officials might, I don't know, have other more pressing matters to contend with?

Also, I don't recall Joan mentioning negative effects of the program, just talking size.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2017, 04:18:28 PM
Also, I don't recall Joan mentioning negative effects of the program, just talking size.

Sure, he might have just been throwing out fun facts about the program.  Anything is possible.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2017, 04:21:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2017, 04:18:28 PM

Sure, he might have just been throwing out fun facts about the program.  Anything is possible.

He could be noting, as I was, that it is so small potatoes that good or ill, it is insignificant.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2017, 04:21:44 PM
He could be noting, as I was, that it is so small potatoes that good or ill, it is insignificant.

He could be, and that's the way I interpreted it.  But then you told me he wasn't discussing negative impacts.

I don't know what to think anymore.  :(

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2017, 04:24:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2017, 04:21:44 PM

He could be, and that's the way I interpreted it.  But then you told me he wasn't discussing negative impacts.

I don't know what to think anymore.  :(

:rolleyes:

Also, it is true what I said - he made no mention of negative impacts.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2017, 04:42:44 PM
rolleyes:

Also, it is true what I said - he made no mention of negative impacts.

Good point! He might be throwing out fun facts! :yes: