And we're back!

Main Menu

California’s Nightmare Will Kill Obamanomics

Started by jimmy olsen, July 06, 2009, 10:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2009, 01:55:30 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2009, 07:46:23 PM
Huckabee ran on a platform of abolishing the income tax. Even if he doesn't run on that next time, that will be something that is hard to live down in a general election.

Pfft.  Where have you been?  Losing politicians disavow their old platforms all the time.

Just off the top of my head - 'In 2008 I supported abolishing the income tax.  While I think that idea still had some merit at that time, after 4 disasterous years of Obamanomics that is no longer an option.  I am here to fight the campaign of today, not the campaign of yesterday".
Beeb for Prez!
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jos Theelen on July 07, 2009, 03:21:10 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 06, 2009, 02:31:57 PM
It's right at the end of the article I posted. :mellow:

Sorry, missed that. Didn't read the whole article.
But what is the use of articles from people who clearly have some agenda. Couldn't you pick some article from someone less biased? It suggest that those articles are worth reading.
How can you say the article was biased if you didn't even read it? I thought his commentary was quite moderate.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jos Theelen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2009, 09:15:05 AM
How can you say the article was biased if you didn't even read it? I thought his commentary was quite moderate.
I stopped reading after these 3 sentences. My comments: you cannot compare state deficits with federal deficits. GW Bush is the main reason we are in this mess. Obama has the same story as many other countries in the same situation.

QuoteThe California deficit this year is now north of $26 billion. The U.S. federal deficit will be, according to the latest numbers, almost 70 times larger.
Obama has taken George W. Bush's inattention to deficits and elevated it to an art form.
Obama has no story. Nobody believes that his unprecedented expansion of the welfare state will lead to enough economic growth.

Berkut

Quote from: Jos Theelen on July 07, 2009, 01:09:15 PM
GW Bush is the main reason we are in this mess.

I think we can all stop reading your analysis after this sentence, since you are clearly both biased and rather simple.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

I stopped reading after these 3 sentences. My comments: you cannot compare state deficits with federal deficits. GW Bush is the main reason we are in this mess. Obama has the same story as many other countries in the same situation.

QuoteThe California deficit this year is now north of $26 billion. The U.S. federal deficit will be, according to the latest numbers, almost 70 times larger.
Obama has taken George W. Bush's inattention to deficits and elevated it to an art form.
Obama has no story. Nobody believes that his unprecedented expansion of the welfare state will lead to enough economic growth.
What sentence in that paragraph is wrong? Bush had massive deficits and Obama has had even larger deficits. Who believes that the US will be able to pay for this without a huge tax increase? Aside from Britain what other 1st world country has rolled out a similarly large stimulus? Most have criticized Obama for doing so.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 07, 2009, 01:11:10 PM
I think we can all stop reading your analysis after this sentence, since you are clearly both biased and rather simple.

:yes: :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

At the very least the language is loaded.  More than the very least, but not that much more, the article contains partisan statements that are presented as statements of fact.  It's not something that comes from a "moderate", and Bloomberg the media is not exactly known for its ability to subtly state its case.  When it comes to editorials, they're solidly in the FoxNews/WSJ camp.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2009, 01:15:22 PM
At the very least the language is loaded.  More than the very least, but not that much more, the article contains partisan statements that are presented as statements of fact.  It's not something that comes from a "moderate", and Bloomberg the media is not exactly known for its ability to subtly state its case.  When it comes to editorials, they're solidly in the FoxNews/WSJ camp.

Fox News and the Wall Street Journal are simply not comparable.

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2009, 01:19:18 PM
When it comes to editorials, they are.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2009, 01:19:18 PM

What about the Fox News show hosted by the Wall Street Journal editorial board?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Which partisan statements are presented as fact?

The core of the article (that blue dogs won't vote for health reform that's not funded and Obama won't raise taxes to pay for it) doesn't seem at all partisan to me. 

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2009, 01:57:21 PM
Let's start and finish with this one:
QuoteThe federal picture is so bleak because the Obama administration is the most fiscally irresponsible in the history of the U.S.

Jos Theelen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2009, 01:12:33 PM

What sentence in that paragraph is wrong? Bush had massive deficits and Obama has had even larger deficits. Who believes that the US will be able to pay for this without a huge tax increase? Aside from Britain what other 1st world country has rolled out a similarly large stimulus? Most have criticized Obama for doing so.

Comparing state deficits and federal deficits is wrong.

It depends on the banking sector in that country. Most countries with big banking sectors (US, UK, Ireland, Iceland, Netherlands, etc) have done more or less the same as Obama did. The writer calls that "nobody"?? You could also read the opinion of Krugman, a economist, Nobelprice winner. Also a "nobody"? Obama handles a bail-out AND a stimulation program. You can disagree with it, but writing that he has no story is foolish. He may not have a Republican story, but his policies are quite common in Europe. Disagreeing is ok, imo. Making it sound foolish is foolish. Partisan rhetoric.

The Republicans should shut up. For two reasons. They are the main responsibles for the lack of regulations, a main reason of the problems. And when they shut up, as a reward they will receive the presidency over 3 years. Because this economic mess will take a lot longer than 3 years. Then they can try to solve the problems.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2009, 02:14:43 PM
QuoteThe federal picture is so bleak because the Obama administration is the most fiscally irresponsible in the history of the U.S.

I *think* the relative size of Obama's deficit is objectively the largest ever.  "Most fiscally irresponsible" is a value judgement, one would have to be a clod to mistake that for a statement of fact.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2009, 02:14:43 PM

That isn't a fact, it is opinion.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned