News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Obamacare?

Started by Jacob, January 05, 2017, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will the GOP do to Obamacare?

There will be much sturm und drang, but ultimately no concrete action will be taken. It'll still be Obamacare.
5 (13.2%)
They'll attempt to rebrand it and own it, changing a few details, but otherwise leaving it in place.
6 (15.8%)
They'll replace it with something terrific that provides better coverage and cheaper too for the populace.
2 (5.3%)
They'll repeal it without a replacement, leaving large number of Americans without coverage for a significant period of time, perhaps forever.
17 (44.7%)
They'll repeal it with a replacement that screws over some people, but still covers some people significantly and call that an improvement.
7 (18.4%)
Some other outcome.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2017, 06:15:50 PM
True.  If you'd been wise, you'd have left it, but some people can't leave well enough alone.  When the ball has been slam-dunked, the play is over.

The lack of wisdom was not the reply to spicy, but replying to you :hug:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on March 09, 2017, 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2017, 04:58:50 PM
C'mon, he played that ball perfectly.  I lol'd.

Sure he played the ball well. That doesn't mean the rest of us just have to leave it there afterwards.

True.  If you'd been wise, you'd have left it, but some people can't leave well enough alone.  When the ball has been slam-dunked, the play is over.

More like a layup with his toes barely off the ground.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2017, 06:53:35 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 09, 2017, 04:17:45 PM
Donald's schtick had more amusement value when he didn't have the entire machinery of the US federal government at his disposal.  It's hard to find humor in a President openly boasting about his intention to dodge accountability.

We've had over a month of the man making a mockery of himself and our system of government.  All yuck-yucked out.

This is what the beginning of the end looks like, MM.

There's a fork in the road; one path leads to Venezuela, the other leads to Damnation Alley.

I'm ready for damnation alley.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 09, 2017, 09:53:18 PM
I'm ready for damnation alley.

You'll never make it under the desk in time.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 09, 2017, 08:09:40 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 09, 2017, 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2017, 04:58:50 PM
C'mon, he played that ball perfectly.  I lol'd.

Sure he played the ball well. That doesn't mean the rest of us just have to leave it there afterwards.

More like a layup with his toes barely off the ground.

Underhand layup at least?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Fate

CBO report just came out and it's bad news for the Republicans. Before everyone screams partisanship, the head was appointed by the Republican leadership.

14 million less insured next year, 24 million less by 2026.

337 billion decrease in the budget deficit over 10 years despite the huge tax cuts because they're gutting Medicaid by 880 billion (in the future). The tax cuts will happen now. However odds are the Medicaid gut will be delayed every year because it's an electoral time bomb for the Republicans.

So all in all we're probably going to get more deficits and more uninsured. But at least we'll be free!

Admiral Yi

Decrease in the deficit and more [sic] deficits?

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 09, 2017, 04:17:45 PM
Donald's schtick had more amusement value when he didn't have the entire machinery of the US federal government at his disposal.  It's hard to find humor in a President openly boasting about his intention to dodge accountability.

We've had over a month of the man making a mockery of himself and our system of government.  All yuck-yucked out.

I thought his act got stale in New York sometime in the 1980's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2017, 05:18:44 PM
337 million$ more in the government budget, despite the tax cuts, because medicaid/medicare will be significantly defunded.

However, Fate is betting that this will not happen, because the Republicans will fear the public's retaliation, meaning, less votes, if they remove medical coverage from too many people.

So what he imagines is that people will still be covered through some form of medicaid expansion with Federal subsidies to the States, so the planned economies to be made will never materialize, hence, in reality, more deficits from this administration, since the medicaid cuts are essential to balancing the budget.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on March 13, 2017, 06:52:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2017, 05:18:44 PM
337 million$ more in the governmen budget, despite the tax cuts, because medicaid/medicare will be significantly defunded.

However, Fate is betting that this will not happen, because the Republicans will fear the public's retaliation, meaning, less votes, if they remove medical coverage from too many people.

So what he imagines is that people will still be covered through some form of medicaid expansion with Federal subsidies to the States, so the planned economies to be made will never materialize, hence, in reality, more deficits from this administration, since the medicaid cuts are essential to balancing the budget.

asoka

viper37

Apparently, under this new administration, the cost of an iPhone will rise substantially.  From 600$ or so, it seems poised to increase by 14 000$ before 2026.

Since the Republicans have said that Americans will need to choose between their healthcare coverage and iPhone, it's the only logical conclusion I can arrive at.

Obamacare revision would reduce insured numbers by 24 M

If the GOP plan is enacted, a 21-year-old making $68,200 would pay an average of $1,450 for a year's worth of insurance premiums after the new tax credits, compared with $5,100 under the current law.

On the other hand, the cost of a year's worth of premiums would stay about the same for a 64-year-old at the same income level. For a 64-year-old making $26,500, the cost would rise sharply, from $1,700 to $14,600.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

That's with the tariff on Chinese goods factored in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Quote from: viper37 on March 14, 2017, 12:20:12 AM
Apparently, under this new administration, the cost of an iPhone will rise substantially.  From 600$ or so, it seems poised to increase by 14 000$ before 2026.

Since the Republicans have said that Americans will need to choose between their healthcare coverage and iPhone, it's the only logical conclusion I can arrive at.

Obamacare revision would reduce insured numbers by 24 M

If the GOP plan is enacted, a 21-year-old making $68,200 would pay an average of $1,450 for a year’s worth of insurance premiums after the new tax credits, compared with $5,100 under the current law.

On the other hand, the cost of a year’s worth of premiums would stay about the same for a 64-year-old at the same income level. For a 64-year-old making $26,500, the cost would rise sharply, from $1,700 to $14,600.

Young people will waste the savings and still vote Democrat.  Old people will begin dying off from no healthcare, but the decrepit survivors will switch their votes to Democrat! :w00t: