News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, what did happen in 2016?

Started by DGuller, December 31, 2016, 01:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 01, 2017, 07:44:48 PM
People get X amount guaranteed income. As a result, the amount of stuff X buys decreases over time.

Do you just keep making X bigger or what?

I am not sure how "as a result" happens.  If you are talking abut inflation, that's not an issue unless money supply expands faster than the supply of goods and services expands.  As workers become more efficient, more goods and services will be produced per worker, thus requiring fewer workers for a given economy.  That is the very problem that a guaranteed wage would be addressing:  what do you do with the surplus workers?  S long as the guaranteed wage is paid for by taxes and not printing money, it wouldn't be inflationary; the companies/whatever would be paying the same number of people, just indirectly rather than directly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on January 01, 2017, 07:53:11 PMS long as the guaranteed wage is paid for by taxes and not printing money

Do you believe that would happen?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on January 01, 2017, 07:46:22 PM
I can think of plenty of real world reasons not to want to accept that offer but then, I'm not the one being 'schooled' right now.

:huh:  Did you think magical TVs were "real world?"  It is a thought experiment to show the concept of infinite demand.  The Economic Problem is how to distribute a limited supply to meet an infinite demand.

Not that you're the one interested in learning anything right now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 01, 2017, 11:33:32 AM
Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   Whoosh!   
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 01, 2017, 07:55:30 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 01, 2017, 07:53:11 PMS long as the guaranteed wage is paid for by taxes and not printing money

Do you believe that would happen?

:huh:  Have you been reading what I write?  I've explained why I don't think the guaranteed income system would work in the current world, even if it is, perhaps, the only long-term solution.

I suspect that climate change will make all of this a moot point.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on January 01, 2017, 07:56:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 01, 2017, 07:46:22 PM
I can think of plenty of real world reasons not to want to accept that offer but then, I'm not the one being 'schooled' right now.

:huh:  Did you think magical TVs were "real world?"  It is a thought experiment to show the concept of infinite demand.  The Economic Problem is how to distribute a limited supply to meet an infinite demand.

Not that you're the one interested in learning anything right now.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that Jos was suppose to learn from a scenario that was constructed such that you could only consider what was stated in the scenario and then use in-scenario logic to then learn a lesson about our reality.  Had I realized that, I wouldn't have said anything but just filed it under useless posts. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

There are so many places where additional human labor could add value if it wasn't so scarce. For example--medicine. I know sometimes I feel like the doctor doesn't spend enough time with me*. Also, more theraputic massages would be nice. :) We definitely could use some infrastructure improvements, particularly around transportation.

It seems to me that we are a long way from mass unemploymentfrom improved technology.

*I believe that before someone sticks their fingers up your butt, he at least should take the time to properly kiss you on the lips first.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on January 01, 2017, 08:25:33 PM
*I believe that before someone sticks their fingers up your butt, he at least should take the time to properly kiss you on the lips first.

That's usually an extra charge.  They'll list it as GFE in the classified ad.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on January 01, 2017, 08:02:23 PM
Oh sorry, I didn't realize that Jos was suppose to learn from a scenario that was constructed such that you could only consider what was stated in the scenario and then use in-scenario logic to then learn a lesson about our reality.  Had I realized that, I wouldn't have said anything but just filed it under useless posts. :(

:lol:  Yes, the most basic principal of economics is declared by you to be "useless," so I guess all those economists and economics professors can just get another job.

Unless, of course, it is you who is making the useless posts.  Ever consider that?  Ever think that maybe, contrary to what you and Jos believe, demand really IS infinite, like all of the economists (and, really, all the educated people) say?

That would explain a lot that you and Josq are confused about.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 01, 2017, 08:39:27 PM

I only let female doctors give me that exam. Not gay then.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

There are so many places where additional human labor could add value if it wasn't so scarce. For example--medicine. I know sometimes I feel like the doctor doesn't spend enough time with me*. Also, more theraputic massages would be nice. :) We definitely could use some infrastructure improvements, particularly around transportation.

It seems to me that we are a long way from mass unemploymentfrom improved technology.

Yes, education in general could improve the employability of a number of people currently underemployed, but not everyone s temperamentally suited to being a doctor, and even fewer have the temperament for the profession and the ability to learn that would make such a career possible.

I can see the possibility of new forms of entertainment providing more jobs as well.

I just don't think that those forms of employment will solve the underemployment problem facing the post-industrial world.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2017, 08:49:32 PM

Only choosing elderly black women is falls more under "Fetish."

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 01, 2017, 08:53:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2017, 08:49:32 PM

Only choosing elderly black women is falls more under "Fetish."

JAM IT IT AGAIN, MRS BUTTERSWORTH
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on January 01, 2017, 08:47:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 01, 2017, 08:02:23 PM

:lol:  Yes, the most basic principal of economics is declared by you to be "useless," so I guess all those economists and economics professors can just get another job.

Unless, of course, it is you who is making the useless posts.  Ever consider that?  Ever think that maybe, contrary to what you and Jos believe, demand really IS infinite, like all of the economists (and, really, all the educated people) say?

That would explain a lot that you and Josq are confused about.

Not the principal, McVain, your post with its 'lesson'.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Tell Christian Wilkins (Clemson defensive tackle) that.

Bayraktar!