Man charged in Claremont, Australia Serial Killer case

Started by Drakken, December 23, 2016, 09:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-23/claremont-serial-killings-bradley-robert-edwards-charged-murder/8144518

That case was baffling. Those girls would vanish into thin air in the middle of the night, after being caught on CCTV coming out of bars and clubs in downtown Perth. There was even suspicion at the time that a night cab driver was doing it.

I am glad to see this is (mostly) on the way to being resolved now, even though Sarah Spiers' case is still unofficially unsolved as she is still missing.

QuoteA 48-year-old man has appeared in a Perth court charged with the murders of two women in Claremont in the 1990s.

The deaths of three women, who disappeared from the upmarket Perth suburb over 14 months between 1996 and 1997, sparked Australia's longest-running and most expensive police investigation.

Bradley Robert Edwards has been charged with the abduction and murder of Jane Rimmer, 23, and Ciara Glennon, 27.

A third woman who disappeared in the same period, Sarah Spiers, remains missing.

His lawyer said Edwards understood the charges.

He was remanded in custody and is due to reappear on January 11.

Ms Rimmer disappeared after a night out with friends in 1996. Her body was discovered in bushland at Wellard on August 3 of that year.

Ms Glennon, 27, disappeared on March 14, 1997, after she had also had a night out in Claremont. Her body was found in bushland in Eglington, north of Perth.

Perth teenager Sarah Spiers, who disappeared after leaving Club Bay View in Claremont on January 27, 1996, remains missing. Her body has never been found.

The man has also been charged in relation to attacks on other women, including two counts of deprivation of liberty, two counts of aggravated sexual penetration without consent, one count of breaking and entering and one count of indecent assault.

The commissioner said police would allege he abducted a 17-year-old girl as she walked through a park in 1995 and took her to a nearby cemetery where he sexually assaulted her.

He is also alleged to have entered the bedroom of an 18-year-old girl in 1988, and attacked her while she slept. He fled after she struggled.

Commissioner O'Callaghan said it would be alleged the man acted alone.

Berkut

Ever since I listened to Serial, I've been on kind of a true crime interest.

A lot around unjust convictions, but also some around unsolved crimes and such.

One thing I walked away from it all with is this kind of weird apprehension? for women, and how they must feel about men and violence.

I don't ever really have to worry when I walk out of a bar that someone might abduct me, take me off some where, rape me, kill me, and leave me in a ditch. It is possible, but the odds are so minuscule I give it about as much thought as the possibility I might get hit with lightning.

But these crimes, they are basically always some guy attacking some women, often several of them before they are caught, if they are EVER caught.

That is seriously fucked up - that half our population, at some level, has to live their lives in some level of fear that some member of the other half might just kill them for no particular reason.

It's kind of a wonder they tolerate us at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on December 23, 2016, 09:35:01 AM
I don't ever really have to worry when I walk out of a bar that someone might abduct me, take me off some where, rape me, kill me, and leave me in a ditch. It is possible, but the odds are so minuscule I give it about as much thought as the possibility I might get hit with lightning.

THATS WHEN YOU NEED TO BE THE MOST VIGILANT

That's why they need to be allowed--and encouraged--to follow their instincts.  Out society places too much of a damper, both intentionally and unintentionally, on us and women in particular to ignore our Spidey Senses.

It's a little dated, but Gavin de Becker's The Gift of Fear: And Other Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence is a great read in that vein.

merithyn

One thing I walked away from it all with is this kind of weird apprehension? for women, and how they must feel about men and violence.

But these crimes, they are basically always some guy attacking some women, often several of them before they are caught, if they are EVER caught.

That is seriously fucked up - that half our population, at some level, has to live their lives in some level of fear that some member of the other half might just kill them for no particular reason.

:)

Welcome to my world, friend. It's not a pretty place, but it's all we have.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2016, 05:38:21 PM
Show us your tits.

Too crass. tell em to smile, they hate that ;)

But yes, we live in a dangerous world (though less so in the past) and it must be very draining and disheartening to always be on be on the alert.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on December 23, 2016, 05:43:09 PM
But yes, we live in a dangerous world (though less so in the past) and it must be very draining and disheartening to always be on be on the alert.

Yeah, but if you're black, you're supposed to just deal with it.  Jews have learned to form up like a Napoleonic square, but with nukes.

HVC

Sucks for them too. I'm a minority but people in general don't give me a hard time beyond the egg plant stuff here and construction jokes in real life. My name probably does some harm at first sight, but what I don't know don't hurt me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

CountDeMoney

HVC

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2016, 05:54:23 PM
Construction jokes? :unsure:

They (we?) go into construction a lot in Ontario. Think Mexicans, but with union jobs and all called Manny and Joao instead of Juan and Jesus.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on December 23, 2016, 05:58:08 PM
They (we?) go into construction a lot in Ontario. Think Mexicans, but with union jobs and all called Manny and Joao instead of Juan and Jesus.

Gotcha.  In the US they/you are mostly fishermen and bar rapists.

Drakken

I highly recommend The Trail Went Cold, a weekly podcast that discusses unsolved true crime cases that have, for a reason or another, gone under the radar.

http://trailwentcold.com/

As he is a regular on the Unsolved Mysteries sitcoms online forum, once a month he also covers one infamous case from the show that is still unsolved today.

World is plenty unsafe for adult men as well. :huh:

One need only to read the Charley Project website or Doe Network to know that random violence can happen to anyone, male or female. It is not as if we can walk in the streets or go out in bars feeling completely safe; you piss off the wrong person or the wrong crowd, sometimes just by being there, and you can end up in dire straights. And that is not touching the Randy Krafts or John Wayne Gacys of this world...

I agree that women are more vulnerable and because of that they must more alert, but sickos can and do also target random males as well.

mongers

Quote from: Drakken on December 23, 2016, 07:55:16 PM

I highly recommend The Trail Went Cold, a weekly podcast that discusses unsolved true crime cases that have, for a reason or another, gone under the radar.

http://trailwentcold.com/

As he is a regular on the Unsolved Mysteries sitcoms online forum, once a month he also covers one infamous case from the show that is still unsolved today.

World is plenty unsafe for adult men as well. :huh:

One need only to read the Charley Project website or Doe Network to know that random violence can happen to anyone, male or female. It is not as if we can walk in the streets or go out in bars feeling completely safe; you piss off the wrong person or the wrong crowd, sometimes just by being there, and you can end up in dire straights. And that is not touching the Randy Krafts or John Wayne Gacys of this world...

I agree that women are more vulnerable and because of that they must more alert, but sickos can and do also target random males as well.

Most of the Western world is a largely safe and friendly place to wander through.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"