Sorry, Louise Casey, but Muslim women are held back by discrimination

Started by garbon, December 06, 2016, 07:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2016, 03:58:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2016, 03:49:00 PM
NO I WONT

So after Donald Trump and a Muslim woman was attacked in the park by three drunks who ripped off her hijab and told her to "go back to her own country", this was an attempt to save someone from misogyny?

Of course. They were trying to tell her the United States is a sexist and racist hell hole and best to go back to where she came from.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2016, 03:22:49 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 08, 2016, 03:11:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2016, 01:43:24 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 08, 2016, 01:40:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 03:44:22 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on December 06, 2016, 07:58:46 PM
The truth hurts I guess.

Seems rather unlikely that her problems would just vanish if she stopped donning a hijab, no?

not wearing a piece of clothing that screams mysogyny helps.

Well it screams it to you.
not my problem if you can't accept the facts.

I do accept facts. I don't accept blind hate.

Blind hates can be fun.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I think that, if you actually met a Muslim woman, a lot of your screaming delusions would be put to rest.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on December 08, 2016, 03:59:12 PM
It's interesting that cultural attire is apparently only possibly legitimately meaningful if the argument is about whether some group ought to be free to wear it without it having meaning for anyone else.

IE, wearing a hijab should have zero meaning when it comes to how anyone perceives the person wearing it, but we must protect their right to wear it because it has such profound meaning to them.

I think wearing a hijab has meaning to the people who wear it, and hence it is unrealistic to demand that everyone else look on it with complete neutrality. It is not neutral at all.

Of course the hajib has meaning, just as the turban does, the yarmulke, the kilt, etc.  Who looks on any of those with "complete neutrality?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

I'm not sure what your point is garbon. There's discrimination in the UK? That's not news is it? There's discrimination everywhere. We don't even know what field her degree is in. That might a big chunk of her problems.

dps

Quote from: Zoupa on December 08, 2016, 11:06:12 PM
I'm not sure what your point is garbon. There's discrimination in the UK? That's not news is it? There's discrimination everywhere. We don't even know what field her degree is in. That might a big chunk of her problems.

If her degree is in the liberal arts, it doesn't mean squat as far as employment outside of academia is concerned.

derspiess

NO I WONT

So after Donald Trump and a Muslim woman was attacked in the park by three drunks who ripped off her hijab and told her to "go back to her own country", this was an attempt to save someone from misogyny?

Are you talking about the "hate crime" incident that didn't actually happen?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2016, 02:39:21 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 08, 2016, 01:49:39 PM
I expect that if Muslim women stopped wearing hijab, the anti-hijab people would pick some other thing to pick on.

What is this expectation based on?

The fact that most of the people ranting about misogyny and hijab have significant records of being anti Muslim before they gave a fuck about misogyny as it affects Muslim women.  And yes,  that includes crazy Ivan.

Jacob

And the fact that as far as I know the "hijab = misogyny"  folks seem to give zero fucks about misogyny in any other shape or form,  but they have a lot of other opinions about how Islam is terrible.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on December 08, 2016, 01:49:39 PM

I expect that if Muslim women stopped wearing hijab, the anti-hijab people would pick some other thing to pick on.
I also expect that some anti-hijab people are truly and uniquely revolted by the hijab itself.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2016, 12:25:36 AM
And the fact that as far as I know the "hijab = misogyny"  folks seem to give zero fucks about misogyny in any other shape or form,  but they have a lot of other opinions about how Islam is terrible.

It's not a critique of Islam, but of westerners who call themselves feminists and get in a tizzy about much milder things than that(like "mansplaining" or "manspreading") but have a blind spot toward Islamic misogyny.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on December 08, 2016, 11:06:12 PM

What a strange follow-up rebuke.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on December 08, 2016, 10:03:56 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 08, 2016, 03:59:12 PM
It's interesting that cultural attire is apparently only possibly legitimately meaningful if the argument is about whether some group ought to be free to wear it without it having meaning for anyone else.

IE, wearing a hijab should have zero meaning when it comes to how anyone perceives the person wearing it, but we must protect their right to wear it because it has such profound meaning to them.

I think wearing a hijab has meaning to the people who wear it, and hence it is unrealistic to demand that everyone else look on it with complete neutrality. It is not neutral at all.

Of course the hajib has meaning, just as the turban does, the yarmulke, the kilt, etc.  Who looks on any of those with "complete neutrality?"

People in turbans make me sikh.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2016, 11:42:43 PM
NO I WONT

Are you talking about the "hate crime" incident that didn't actually happen?

No.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017