Sorry, Louise Casey, but Muslim women are held back by discrimination

Started by garbon, December 06, 2016, 07:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 03:37:09 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 07, 2016, 02:11:16 AM
The thing is that I think she is doing what the report suggests would be a good idea. Namely, having failed to get a decent job in her depressed hometown, she is off to London where she will meet people from many different backgrounds and start integrating. She has even written a whinge piece for the whingers' newspaper of record.......what could be more integrated?

So minorities will be better off (and by standards of the report - integrated) if they just would all move to London? ;)

The way the economy is going, and integration, we would all be better off if we lived in central London. There is a clear need for a size-reducing ray here, once we are all under a foot tall there will be plenty of space in London, time to set the boffins to work!

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 07, 2016, 05:10:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 03:37:09 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 07, 2016, 02:11:16 AM
The thing is that I think she is doing what the report suggests would be a good idea. Namely, having failed to get a decent job in her depressed hometown, she is off to London where she will meet people from many different backgrounds and start integrating. She has even written a whinge piece for the whingers' newspaper of record.......what could be more integrated?

So minorities will be better off (and by standards of the report - integrated) if they just would all move to London? ;)

The way the economy is going, and integration, we would all be better off if we lived in central London. There is a clear need for a size-reducing ray here, once we are all under a foot tall there will be plenty of space in London, time to set the boffins to work!

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 08:43:27 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2016, 08:31:03 AM
Why is this thread stickied?

Yes, most curious. :D

Yeah I noticed that, thought it had been so because someone thought it would become the archetypal languish thread? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

This thread will define us as a forum.  Please be mindful of that as you post here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on December 07, 2016, 09:01:33 AM
Yeah I noticed that, thought it had been so because someone thought it would become the archetypal languish thread? :unsure:

QuoteWell, a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song
And he told me it was the perfect country & western song
I wrote him back a letter and I told him it was
Not the perfect country & western song because he hadn't said anything at all about mama,
Or trains,
Or trucks,
Or prison,
Or getting' drunk
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

It is really, really difficult to find a job in a different culture.  I still remember the disdainful look people gave me in Canada when I told them I had zero work experience. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on December 07, 2016, 10:01:52 AM
It is really, really difficult to find a job in a different culture.  I still remember the disdainful look people gave me in Canada when I told them I had zero work experience. 

Umm, so it was the writer's grandmother who was an immigrant. The writer is British.

derspiess

FWIW, the five Brit muslim women I know all have advanced degrees and great jobs.  Probably helps that they're all fully assimilated.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 07, 2016, 10:35:17 AM
FWIW, the five Brit muslim women I know all have advanced degrees and great jobs.  Probably helps that they're all fully assimilated.

I'm assuming that's worth nothing. What does it mean to be 'fully assimilated'?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 10:39:21 AM

I'm assuming that's worth nothing.

Yeah I figured you'd be the first one to be a little shit about that.

What does it mean to be 'fully assimilated'?

They've been westernized in the way they speak, dress, act, etc.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 07, 2016, 11:13:11 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 10:39:21 AM

I'm assuming that's worth nothing.

Yeah I figured you'd be the first one to be a little shit about that.

What does it mean to be 'fully assimilated'?

They've been westernized in the way they speak, dress, act, etc.

Oh so they dress and act like white people?

And, of course, I would. It is a silly anecdote that says nothing apart from perhaps a non-true assertion that if minorities don't act like minorities they won't get treated like minorities.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 11:25:47 AM

Oh so they dress and act like white people?

White people are super popular over there. That is why they are fighting like hell to keep Europeans from being able to freely move in. But I keep forgetting that there are not dozens of nations and cultures in Europe, everybody dresses and acts exactly the same because: skin color.

QuoteAnd, of course, I would. It is a silly anecdote that says nothing apart from perhaps a non-true assertion that if minorities don't act like minorities they won't get treated like minorities.

I don't think he made that assertion. He simply pointed out that five people he knew had great jobs and advanced degrees. How is that any less anecdotal than the article you linked?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2016, 11:36:10 AM
White people are super popular over there. That is why they are fighting like hell to keep Europeans from being able to freely move in. But I keep forgetting that there are not dozens of nations and cultures in Europe, everybody dresses and acts exactly the same because: skin color.

:huh:

What are you blabbering about?

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2016, 11:36:10 AM
I don't think he made that assertion. He simply pointed out that five people he knew had great jobs and advanced degrees. How is that any less anecdotal than the article you linked?

Oh so he wasn't make an assertion just mentioning 5 women he knows just for the point of mentioning them? He noted they were fully assimilated and noted that meant that they dressed and acted like those around him. I guess I could pretend I've never interacted with him before and don't know he's suggesting that people just need to dress and act 'appropriately' to avoid hardship.

I'm, of course, not being generous in my interpretation of what 'dress and act' are because I don't really see why it would be okay to discriminate against someone because they wear a hijab.