News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mexican Illegal Immigration Poll

Started by The Minsky Moment, November 30, 2016, 02:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will illegal immigration from Mexico go up or down during Trump's first term in office?

¡Salta! says Dora -  It will go up!
15 (46.9%)
None shall pass the Wall - It will go down!
13 (40.6%)
Paleoconservative dreams come true - Trump will be impeached or never take office
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

If he wrecks the Mexican economy by abolishing NAFTA, you'll have millions trying to get into the USA.

Admiral Yi

Up is a good guess.  If Donald throws a couple hundred billion in debt at highway projects that's a lot of manpower needed.  Plus there are signs that FDI in Mexico is drying up.

On a related note I heard a story on NPR t'other day about severe labor shortages in the Colorado infrastructure construction market.

Admiral Yi

BTW Joan, you booted a perfect opportunity to use La Pasionaria's "No Paseran" from the Spanish Civil War. :nerd:

Ed Anger

I favor turning Mexicans into helots.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2016, 02:34:46 PM
BTW Joan, you booted a perfect opportunity to use La Pasionaria's "No Paseran" from the Spanish Civil War. :nerd:

Oh shit, you're right.  :(
I was trying to come up with a SOIAF motif like Castle Faux Gold Leaf but then gave up.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

It will go down. Since Mexican birth rates have been going down, they will have fewer disaffected people willing to leave their homeland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

It's "¡No pasarán!". :contract:

celedhring

I think it will go down, but by non-significant amounts. My rationale is that you can only do so much from the border policing standpoint, even if you try really hard. The Mexico-US border is just too large and porous.

The only longterm solution to this is - imho - that either a) Mexico economy grows so it's less necessary to emigrate b) US economy tanks so it becomes less attractive to immigrate. Who knows, Trump might succeed in achieving b) and call a win.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on November 30, 2016, 02:44:26 PM

:weep:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on November 30, 2016, 02:44:26 PM

/Der Spieß

Siamo passati!

:D

The Minsky Moment

My view is a combination of those already mentioned:
1. current levels are already low.
2. If trump goes build build it will pull people in
3.  If the Mexican economy keeps getting hurt it will push people out.

And those structural factors will swamp whatever impact occurs from tougher enforcement efforts.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Current levels are probably negative, which is just one of the things that drives me nuts about the illegal immigrant hysteria.

celedhring

Quote from: frunk on November 30, 2016, 02:52:17 PM
Current levels are probably negative, which is just one of the things that drives me nuts about the illegal immigrant hysteria.

But since when does any of this have anything to do with reason? The only time Spanish far-right parties seemed close to gain representation (they still failed) was with an anti-immigration rethoric at a moment where population flows were negative (A lot of foreigners were leaving the country due to the bad economy, and ironically many Spaniards too, becoming immigrants somewhere else.)

Phillip V

Already down and will continue going down due to economic, social, and security reasons.