News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question: What happens if Trump doesn't leave?

Started by Razgovory, November 29, 2016, 11:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To be fair, many of the people close to Trump in 2016 have been fired.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 07, 2019, 09:06:29 PM
To be fair, many of the people close to Trump in 2016 have been fired.

To be fair, the close people then and the close people now are on the same level of retardedness.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

If Trump doesn't leave, do I still have a job?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

You might have too much of one if he doesn't.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Taking control of a country's military to overturn an election result and maintain your rule forcefully, a country with the longest and most stable democratic traditions, in a space of 4 years, would be an immense undertaking requiring probably one of the greatest stateman of world history, and a concentrated effort and a well laid out long term plan.

The idea that Trump would be able to orchestrate such a thing is laughable.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2019, 10:22:36 AM
Taking control of a country's military to overturn an election result and maintain your rule forcefully, a country with the longest and most stable democratic traditions, in a space of 4 years, would be an immense undertaking requiring probably one of the greatest stateman of world history, and a concentrated effort and a well laid out long term plan.

:yes: We'll make him chancellor if he gets too uppity. Should slow him down.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Razgovory

Well, Trump already controls the military and second I don't think the military needs to do anything at all to help Trump.  Law enforcement is sufficient, and Trump has already broken the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security.  Military officers might balk at an unlawful order, how many cops would?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2019, 10:53:06 AM

Well, Trump already controls the military and second I don't think the military needs to do anything at all to help Trump.  Law enforcement is sufficient, and Trump has already broken the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security.  Military officers might balk at an unlawful order, how many cops would?

Calm down. There is literally zero reason for a soldier to willingly push their country into civil war over keeping Trump in power.

There is every chance Trump will make it a spectacle refusing to leave the White House but as explained earlier, legally speaking he won't be President by then. The USA's prestige will be further diminished as he'll be dragged out of the building on live TV, but there won't be military units, or the police, rallying to his aid.

But, if that makes you feel any better, he is going be re-elected.

FunkMonk

I can see Donald saying "Execute Order 66."

My Official Funk Prediction: If Donald loses, he'll have a Twitter meltdown and try to take his supporters to the streets. At which point there will be counter-protests and obviously clashes and injuries and even deaths. Once people start dying after the election is when the GOP will finally fold and dump the Trump.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

The idea that Trump can order town cops to seize ballot boxes is laughable.  Town cops work for the mayor, and would be fired if they obeyed the president's order over the mayor's.  There are far too few federal police-type officers, even if they were willing to engage in a coup, to disrupt a US national election protected by local cops.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2019, 11:01:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2019, 10:53:06 AM

Calm down. There is literally zero reason for a soldier to willingly push their country into civil war over keeping Trump in power.

There is every chance Trump will make it a spectacle refusing to leave the White House but as explained earlier, legally speaking he won't be President by then. The USA's prestige will be further diminished as he'll be dragged out of the building on live TV, but there won't be military units, or the police, rallying to his aid.

But, if that makes you feel any better, he is going be re-elected.

Uh, I said military doesn't need to do anything.  We already have an example of municipal police acting inappropriately because they believed it would benefit the President.  We have examples of Federal law enforcement following the orders from Trump that were illegal.  I didn't think Trump could corrupt the Justice Department but it happened.  He has fired or driven out anyone who stood against him.

We believe our system would prevent the abuses that Trump has committed.  It has not.  What makes you think that this situation will change?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on October 08, 2019, 11:14:56 AM
The idea that Trump can order town cops to seize ballot boxes is laughable.  Town cops work for the mayor, and would be fired if they obeyed the president's order over the mayor's.  There are far too few federal police-type officers, even if they were willing to engage in a coup, to disrupt a US national election protected by local cops.

Nobody said that, and mayoral authority differs wildly from place to place.  In none of those places does the police work at the pleasure of the mayor.

Habbaku

I'm looking forward to 15 months from now when I can just post a bunch of roll-eyes emojis at the over-worriers or delete all my posts on Languish criticizing Immortan Trump. Whichever.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on October 08, 2019, 01:06:25 PM
I'm looking forward to 15 months when the great and unmatched leader is re-elected].

Helping you out with a little insurance.