News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer problem, part 23987987

Started by DGuller, July 04, 2009, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2009, 08:33:59 PM
As I'm connecting the LED pins to the motherboard, I have suddenly realized the new extent to total suck which is the HP support.  I'm telling them that my freaking power button just doesn't work, and they didn't even ask me to check the power LED cable connection.  They did think it was sensible to ask me to first remove the RAM chips, then replace the power supply, and then to reseat the CMOS battery.  I just hope they'll be good at clearing my refund.

To be fair, most mainstream computer manufacturers' telephone/chat tech support agents suck.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Speaking of LED wires, I'm having trouble figuring out which way they're supposed to go.  The wires going from the case have an arrow on one side of the two-pin connector, and a "G" on the other side.  Which one goes to the + pin, and which one goes to the - pin on the mobo?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2009, 08:50:27 PM
Speaking of LED wires, I'm having trouble figuring out which way they're supposed to go.  The wires going from the case have an arrow on one side of the two-pin connector, and a "G" on the other side.  Which one goes to the + pin, and which one goes to the - pin on the mobo?

The cable's not notched or some other kind of physical keying?
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 08, 2009, 08:58:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2009, 08:50:27 PM

The cable's not notched or some other kind of physical keying?
No, they're one of the few ones that can go in both ways.  Notching is always the first thing I look for when having these kinds of questions.

Monoriu

I admire your courage in assembling a computer.  I can never imagine myself doing it.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2009, 08:59:36 PM
No, they're one of the few ones that can go in both ways.  Notching is always the first thing I look for when having these kinds of questions.

I'm double-checking this, but I believe the arrow should line up with the plus pin. I'll edit if/as soon as I'm sure on this one.

EDIT: I was thinking of unkeyed ribbon cables. Everything I'm checking is reminding me that there's no hard and fast rule for front panel wiring; if I was sure what model mobo and case you were using, I could double-check the documentation for you, but chances are, the info you need will be buried in one of those sets of instructions.
Experience bij!

DGuller

My Google search tells me that the arrow probably does point to the +, and that getting it wrong wouldn't be fatal.  I guess for now I'll just go with that assumption, and switch cables around if something doesn't work.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2009, 09:15:06 PM
My Google search tells me that the arrow probably does point to the +, and that getting it wrong wouldn't be fatal.  I guess for now I'll just go with that assumption, and switch cables around if something doesn't work.

You should be OK. It's not like the USB cable, where you could be grounding 5 volts in the wrong direction.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

It doesn't really matter anyway.

You got the HAF right? Those LEDs are way too strong imo, didn't plug them in.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Argh, I'm going to kill the motherfucker who invented molex connectors.  It shouldn't take a genius to know that fucking pins and fucking holes inside the connectors shouldn't be floating around, requiring you to synch up four sets of them at the same time while trying to connect them. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on July 08, 2009, 08:59:47 PM
I admire your courage in assembling a computer.  I can never imagine myself doing it.

Eh, I'm trying to piece me a working Xbox 360 from a couple borke units my co-workers had.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2009, 09:44:00 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 08, 2009, 08:59:47 PM

Eh, I'm trying to piece me a working Xbox 360 from a couple borke units my co-workers had.

:worship:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2009, 09:41:53 PM
Argh, I'm going to kill the motherfucker who invented molex connectors.  It shouldn't take a genius to know that fucking pins and fucking holes inside the connectors shouldn't be floating around, requiring you to synch up four sets of them at the same time while trying to connect them.

Yeah, molex is bad; exposed berg connectors are usually my gripe- somehow, I always end up reseating a berg connection right after softening up all my fingertip calluses. IDE ribbon cables are still the winner, though- they almost never seat properly, so you get one in and end up going back and forth reseating the one that popped loose while you were securing the last one. :(
Experience bij!

DGuller

I just unpacked my GTX 285 card.  Holy crap, that thing is a frigging Canyonero of graphics cards.

katmai

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2009, 10:16:41 PM
I just unpacked my GTX 285 card.  Holy crap, that thing is a frigging Canyonero of graphics cards.
:D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son