News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer problem, part 23987987

Started by DGuller, July 04, 2009, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

You sure you have enough of a power supply for it?
HP sends those shitty underpowered 300w power supply units with their prefab, and if you've been adding memory, vidcards, etc., that will usually do it.

DGuller

And while the tech was escalating the issue to the case manager, the online chat session somehow ended.  I hope very, very much that once case manager gets in touch with me, he'll ask me why I want to return this stinking pile.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 04, 2009, 07:58:13 PM
You sure you have enough of a power supply for it?
HP sends those shitty underpowered 300w power supply units with their prefab, and if you've been adding memory, vidcards, etc., that will usually do it.
Yeah, I'm sure.  The issue is that the power button for whatever reason doesn't work.  I managed to start the computer twice by taking out and putting back the CMOS battery.  When you do that, computer starts up as soon as you connect the power cord, without the need to press the power button.  However, once I shut it off, I'm fucked.  It took five hours of pleasant chat with HP techs to get to that realization.

DGuller

I'm actually starting to believe that God does exist, and that he hates me very, very much.

CountDeMoney

I just swapped out my old DVD-ROM/CD Lightscribe out for a 22x DVD/RW+R DL MuliRecorder on my HP, a SATA no less.  No Indians required.

Don't blame HP, blame the delivery guy for dropping it in the truck.

DGuller

I don't think this problem can be traced to my PC being dropped.  It sounds like some kind of defect that HP could've spotted had they bothered to turn the fucking computer on just once.  And, anyway, I can blame HP for Cindy, who manage to waste a lot of my time and effort without actually having a single clue.

Weatherman

DGuller

Most of it is OK, I would think, the computer did boot up twice and was working fine while it was on.

DGuller

Anyway, I'm off to build my own system.  I've already got the power supply and the GTX 285, expecting to put them into the new PC.  I might as well build the rest of the computer around them.

DGuller

I'm also getting a full tower case, so hopefully I won't be feeling like I'm performing brain surgery next time I'm doing something inside.

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on July 04, 2009, 09:18:32 PM
I'm also getting a full tower case, so hopefully I won't be feeling like I'm performing brain surgery next time I'm doing something inside.
A wise policy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Thios thread couldn't be better. You started by buying a brand name POS & then came to your senses.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2009, 09:59:00 PM
Thios thread couldn't be better. You started by buying a brand name POS & then came to your senses.
You know, nothing was stopping you from making me come to my senses before I got that POS.  :mad:

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on July 04, 2009, 11:06:33 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2009, 09:59:00 PM
You know, nothing was stopping you from making me come to my senses before I got that POS.  :mad:

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Ok, so once the refund situation becomes clear, I'm placing a bulk order on newegg.com.  What parts do I need?  I thought of:

1) case
2) CPU
3) motherboard
4) hard drive
5) memory
6) CPU fan
7) power supply
8) video card
9) Windows
10) monitor
11) speakers
12) sound card