News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Computer problem, part 23987987

Started by DGuller, July 04, 2009, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2009, 05:24:13 PM
Weight is my concern with steel.  In the review section, people were saying that with steel full tower case, their entire computer weighed 50-60 pounds.  That sounds a bit unmanageable even if you're not going to constantly tinker with it, since computer towers tend to reside in tight places, and require careful handling at all times.

I dunno - my full tower-ish Mac Pro probably weighs 30 lb or so.  It is heavy, no doubt about it, but not unmanageably so.  50-60 lb doesn't sound very realistic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

The problem with a crappy case is Airflow.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 05, 2009, 05:37:07 PM

Not just airflow.  A good design will take the following factors into account:

-airflow
-weight
-noise dampening
-cable management
-ease of access
-looks

You can get good airflow with a pair of tin snips and a $30 case...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Interestingly enough, the dimensions for GF's mid-tower case are close to the dimensions of the full tower case I was considering.  The only significant difference is that GF's case is two inches shorter in height.  I think I'm going to go with that.

Grey Fox

Monoriu

I recently bought an HP printer that refused to get past the setup stage.  Had to be replaced.

Never have any problems with Dell though.

Tamas

Do order it assembled if possible, 'though.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 05, 2009, 05:37:07 PM

That's why I never bother to put the sides on.

DontSayBanana

That weight for the full tower sounds fishy. The company probably saves money by using the same heavier frames for the steel towers as for the aluminum ones.

Aluminum cases also heat up so fast that you really need to carefully design your system around the airflow, or you'll be getting random shut-offs/restarts like crazy.

And DP, that's only a good move if your computer room is airtight and dust-free. A lot of flavors of room dust corrode contacts; also, your chips can overheat more easily since the case is no longer forcing cold air over them.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Ok, so I got the new computer parts already.  I'm up to the step of putting the CPU into the socket.  I put it down and the notches align, but I can't seem to close the socket and pull down the lever easily.  Should I force the lever down, or am I doing something wrong?

Grey Fox

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2009, 07:09:12 PM
Ok, so I got the new computer parts already.  I'm up to the step of putting the CPU into the socket.  I put it down and the notches align, but I can't seem to close the socket and pull down the lever easily.  Should I force the lever down, or am I doing something wrong?

Soak the motherboard in hot water to make the pinholes expand.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 08, 2009, 08:03:23 PM
Soak the motherboard in hot water to make the pinholes expand.
Also, put the CPU in a bucket of water, then put that in the freezer.  The CPU will be frozen iinto a block of ice and the pins will shrink in size.  Chip away the ice and Bob's yer uncle!

Note: do not try to shrink the pins by showing them a picture of Janet Reno.  They will shrink, but also will droop (and that's bad).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2009, 07:21:26 PM
Force.

This, within reason. CPUs are known to be stubborn pains in the neck.
Experience bij!

DGuller

As I'm connecting the LED pins to the motherboard, I have suddenly realized the new extent to total suck which is the HP support.  I'm telling them that my freaking power button just doesn't work, and they didn't even ask me to check the power LED cable connection.  They did think it was sensible to ask me to first remove the RAM chips, then replace the power supply, and then to reseat the CMOS battery.  I just hope they'll be good at clearing my refund.