Best Animated Children's Shows - Last 5 Years?

Started by Malthus, November 16, 2016, 11:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I'm collecting recommendations here for my kid, who is nearly 11. 

He's a big fan of Gravity Falls and Star vs. The Forces of Evil, both Disney shows (albeit not standard Disney fare).

I've head good things about Steven Universe, though I've never seen any episodes.

Any other good, recent animated shows out there? Let me know!

[And no, Rick and Morty isn't a kids show. :D]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Martinus

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 16, 2016, 11:01:38 AM
I'm collecting recommendations here for my kid, who is nearly 11. 

He's a big fan of Gravity Falls and Star vs. The Forces of Evil, both Disney shows (albeit not standard Disney fare).

I've head good things about Steven Universe, though I've never seen any episodes.

Any other good, recent animated shows out there? Let me know!

[And no, Rick and Morty isn't a kids show. :D]
Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels, if he's into that sort of things.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PRC

I've got a few kids under 5 now so it's not the same demographic as an 11 year old... but the kids love the Octonauts and I enjoy it too.

The UK version over the American one as the American one has given the medic penguin, Peyso, a Mexican accent and i'm used to him sounding like a Brit.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 16, 2016, 11:23:27 AM

Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels, if he's into that sort of things.

I've tried him on Star Wars Rebels, but I think he dislikes the animation style - too "uncanny valley" I suspect.

derspiess

Gravity Falls, Sanjay and Craig, Uncle Grandpa, and Adventure Time (which is probably not really a kids' show but my kids like it).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Hamilcar

frunk

Barrister

Let's see, if you ask my kids some of their favourites are:

Paw Patrol :bleeding:
LEGO Ninjago
Transformers Rescuebots
Star Wars Rebels

All of course are designed around selling toys... :bleeding:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Oh, the latest version of VeggieTales (Netflix exclusive) is a surprising hit around our house as well.   :)

None of which helps Malthus in the slightest.  ;)

Edit:

Oh Teen Titans Go! is also popular.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

You could go for some classics like 90s Batman, Justice League, Avengers, Gargoyles, ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2016, 02:01:49 PM
Oh, the latest version of VeggieTales (Netflix exclusive) is a surprising hit around our house as well.   :)

None of which helps Malthus in the slightest.  ;)

:D

Actually, he still likes Lego Ninjago a bit. Though in terms of sophistication, it is light years behind a show like Gravity Falls (which is easily his favorite).

He's gotten into Star vs. The Forces of Evil more recently, because it is still ongoing. It looks entirely like a more girl-appropriate "magical princess" show, while being, to a great extent, a deconstruction of what you would normally assume of a Disney princess (the lead character is a cheerful but dangerous maniac, and some of the plots are basically G-rated horror - one in particular we saw the other day was as if David Cronenberg wrote a Disney kid's show  :D).