Best Animated Children's Shows - Last 5 Years?

Started by Malthus, November 16, 2016, 11:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 16, 2016, 08:13:51 PM
Anybody that exposes their kids to Canadian kids programming should be summarily shot.

Lifting and pulling and flying so high
Building a building up to the sky
You can watch them all day and never know why
They're mighty machines

Martinus

British kids shows have always seemed very quaint (bordering on disturbing) to me. Most of them felt like a fucking Downton Abbey reenacted by animals and shit.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2016, 01:30:18 PM
Let's see, if you ask my kids some of their favourites are:

Paw Patrol :bleeding:
LEGO Ninjago
Transformers Rescuebots
Star Wars Rebels

All of course are designed around selling toys... :bleeding:

How it is different from G.I Joe, Transformers, Masters of the Universe, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors etc. back in the day?  :P

fromtia

Adventure time. A spectacular achievement. Not really a kids show but enjoyed by kids sometimes.  :)
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Archy

My 3 y old daughter currently is in her Mickey/Elza phase and a Disney Jr. Addict. Loves Frozen & Mickey MOuse Club House and Princess Sophia.
She had also a phase with Masha and the Bear a Russian cartoon. I've to say I also liked that one till it was killed due to overplay for my daughter.

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 16, 2016, 07:49:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 16, 2016, 02:11:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2016, 02:01:49 PM
Oh, the latest version of VeggieTales (Netflix exclusive) is a surprising hit around our house as well.   :)

None of which helps Malthus in the slightest.  ;)

:D

Actually, he still likes Lego Ninjago a bit. Though in terms of sophistication, it is light years behind a show like Gravity Falls (which is easily his favorite).

He's gotten into Star vs. The Forces of Evil more recently, because it is still ongoing. It looks entirely like a more girl-appropriate "magical princess" show, while being, to a great extent, a deconstruction of what you would normally assume of a Disney princess (the lead character is a cheerful but dangerous maniac, and some of the plots are basically G-rated horror - one in particular we saw the other day was as if David Cronenberg wrote a Disney kid's show  :D).

Graduate to PG13 animated horror and have him watch Modaka Magika instead.

Heh, part of the charm of Star vs. The Forces of Evil is that the weirdness is totally unexpected from a Disney "magical princess" kid's show. You expect that sort of thing from Japanese shows to a greater extent. Though I admit, as far as anime goes, Modaka Magika sounds like something he might like - when he's a bit older. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2016, 09:01:03 AM
Oh, the latest version of VeggieTales (Netflix exclusive) is a surprising hit around our house as well.   :)

Actually, he still likes Lego Ninjago a bit. Though in terms of sophistication, it is light years behind a show like Gravity Falls (which is easily his favorite).

He's gotten into Star vs. The Forces of Evil more recently, because it is still ongoing. It looks entirely like a more girl-appropriate "magical princess" show, while being, to a great extent, a deconstruction of what you would normally assume of a Disney princess (the lead character is a cheerful but dangerous maniac, and some of the plots are basically G-rated horror - one in particular we saw the other day was as if David Cronenberg wrote a Disney kid's show  :D).

Heh, part of the charm of Star vs. The Forces of Evil is that the weirdness is totally unexpected from a Disney "magical princess" kid's show. You expect that sort of thing from Japanese shows to a greater extent. Though I admit, as far as anime goes, Modaka Magika sounds like something he might like - when he's a bit older.

Actually it is Madoka Magica. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on November 17, 2016, 09:21:31 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 17, 2016, 09:01:03 AM

Actually it is Madoka Magica.

Inexcusable mistake. :face:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

There's the new Voltron series on Netflix.  Maybe your kid will like that.  I didn't, but I'm not exactly the target either... ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 17, 2016, 11:22:50 AM
There's the new Voltron series on Netflix.  Maybe your kid will like that.  I didn't, but I'm not exactly the target either... ;)

My kids watched a couple of episodes, but weren't thrilled.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2016, 11:28:33 AM

Well, at least they weren't watching Caillou during that time :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on November 17, 2016, 12:23:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2016, 11:28:33 AM

Well, at least they weren't watching Caillou during that time :P

They still love Caillou. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.