Your long national nightmare has just begun

Started by CountDeMoney, November 09, 2016, 07:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

It's really meant the whole regime change idea since 9/11.

I think you're all being a little optimistic about the economic damage government can cause given that you've elected a guy whose one consistently held view is hostility to trade.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 10, 2016, 07:51:27 PM
I think you're all being a little optimistic about the economic damage government can cause given that you've elected a guy whose one consistently held view is hostility to trade.

Well, when I said the election was a national disaster and that I expected the country to pitch into recession the day after the election, that was really a best case scenario.  :sleep:

fromtia

This is pretty funny. I mean, when it's not horrible, it's funny.

It's pretty obvious what you do if you are a democrat, you know you get organized, try to hold the DNC accountable for Clinton and so on and so forth, but the bit that fascinates me, is what you do if you are a Republican.

Is it, oh that's awesome my party has the presidency (and everything else) I'm going to get a lot of legislation I like, and all that stuff I dont like is going to get repealed, Supreme court, judiciary etc etc, sorry the actual President is kinda weird, but hey nbd

Or is it sort of holy shit what the hell is happening I have actually deeply held personal convictions about economics, incentive, faith, church, family and the role of government and this monstrous charlatan has run off with my political party. I think I need to do something, anything...

This is sort of a serious question, because obviously most of the Americans on here are Republicans, if I recall, and very smart and well educated ones. (this isnt directed at the Breitbart crowd, close your mouths when you chew chaps).

whatever happens its going to be fascinating.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on November 10, 2016, 08:07:54 PM

It's pretty obvious what you do if you are a democrat, you know you get organized, try to hold the DNC accountable for Clinton and so on and so forth, but the bit that fascinates me, is what you do if you are a Republican.

Is it, oh that's awesome my party has the presidency (and everything else) I'm going to get a lot of legislation I like, and all that stuff I dont like is going to get repealed, Supreme court, judiciary etc etc, sorry the actual President is kinda weird, but hey nbd

Or is it sort of holy shit what the hell is happening I have actually deeply held personal convictions about economics, incentive, faith, church, family and the role of government and this monstrous charlatan has run off with my political party. I think I need to do something, anything...

This is sort of a serious question, because obviously most of the Americans on here are Republicans, if I recall, and very smart and well educated ones. (this isnt directed at the Breitbart crowd, close your mouths when you chew chaps).

whatever happens its going to be fascinating.

Yeah car accidents were your life flashes infront of your eyes are similarly fascinating.

Oh, and rather nice to hear from you Formtia. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

I don't think the bolded part is true.  At least not any more. 

Ed Anger

I identify as a snowblower. My preferred pronoun is WHURRRRRR
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Somewhere in between.  I have no idea what's in store, honestly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 10, 2016, 08:31:16 PM
I identify as a snowblower. My preferred pronoun is WHURRRRRR

You honestly think you're that mobile, Mr. Plow?  lulz,

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Should have been a John Deere tractor/mower.

fromtia

Quote from: Monoriu on November 10, 2016, 08:30:14 PM

I don't think the bolded part is true.  At least not any more.

I have noticed that quite a few people have either moved to the center or become less enthusiastic of the party line than I remember from 10 years ago. Could be the Bush presidency and Iraq, or it could be an illusion caused by the determined dash toward the outer limits of rationality by a swathe of the US right is making them look moderate now.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Savonarola

My parents are... :unsure:... Gerald Ford Republicans; as far as such a thing can exist anymore.  Anyhow they are clearly appalled by Donald Trump; and while they were not at all happy to vote for Hil, they did it.  (Not that she won Michigan despite that.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on November 10, 2016, 09:20:58 PM
My parents are... :unsure:... Gerald Ford Republicans; as far as such a thing can exist anymore.  Anyhow they are clearly appalled by Donald Trump; and while they were not at all happy to vote for Hil, they did it.  (Not that she won Michigan despite that.)

Had a case in Grand Rapids - been in and out of the airport a bunch of times.  Strong Cruz/Trump country there I understand, or at least that's what my local consultant was telling me during primary season.  Wonder what Ford would have made of it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

I think of W who must look at this and feel a bit like Blair does looking at the Labour Party in Brexit Britain.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on November 10, 2016, 12:56:02 PM
I think that it will be interesting to see which, if any, women President-elect Drumpf can get to serve in his cabinet.  He will want only the young and cute ones, and the young and cute ones won't want to put up with the sexist bullshit.

Drumpf likes his women pretty and stupid.  But if one of them, like Sarah Palin, is stupid enough, she doesn't have to be all that pretty.

Eh, the president doesn't work all that closely with the cabinet. His staff will be full of young and cute ones perfectly happy to put up with sexist bullshit though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?