What Will Be Your Personal Response to the Trump Ascendancy?

Started by mongers, November 09, 2016, 04:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fromtia on November 11, 2016, 12:25:45 AM
I thought about it for a while. Thought Hillary was a toilet seat, but still cant believe Trump is the next US President.

I have lived in the US for 21 years now and raised a son who is American. What should I do?

Well, this didnt need to happen and a cursory glance at the poll numbers reveals it was completely preventable and that Trump was not hard to beat, despite his bottled lightning celebrity machismo. It's just that the Democratic party tried to usher in Hillary and....well.

So, what should I do?

I'm going to apply for my US citizenship first of all, finally. I'm going to do that as soon as I can wrangle $700. Then I'm going to join the Democratic party and I'm going to vote every chance I get. But I'm going to do my best to volunteer and get involved and do whatever I can to move that party in a better direction. What else can I do? The US has been so good to me. Apparently it needs my help.

Save yourself.

Admiral Yi

What else can I do?

You can either become a big bucks donor and jawbone all the players about what you want in a candidate, or move to an early primary state and volunteer for someone you like.

Monoriu

I thought about it for a while. Thought Hillary was a toilet seat, but still cant believe Trump is the next US President.

I have lived in the US for 21 years now and raised a son who is American. What should I do?

Well, this didnt need to happen and a cursory glance at the poll numbers reveals it was completely preventable and that Trump was not hard to beat, despite his bottled lightning celebrity machismo. It's just that the Democratic party tried to usher in Hillary and....well.

So, what should I do?

I'm going to apply for my US citizenship first of all, finally. I'm going to do that as soon as I can wrangle $700. Then I'm going to join the Democratic party and I'm going to vote every chance I get. But I'm going to do my best to volunteer and get involved and do whatever I can to move that party in a better direction. What else can I do? The US has been so good to me. Apparently it needs my help.

Make sure your son has UK citizenship. 

mongers

So, what should I do?

Sounds good, enough people do the right thing there may be hope.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fromtia

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2016, 01:17:34 AM

Save yourself.

It's tempting, to be sure. Going back to Theresa May, Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson seems unappealing, my ship has been burnt. I'm staying.

Also, the UK political system is locked up. One lesson of Trump, is that apparently the US presidency is up for grabs.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Zanza

Nothing. I could imagine that he will have an influence on our foreign policy, but I don't think that he will have any noticable effect on my own life.

That said, I see him as part of a bigger populist wave in the Western world and wonder what his spiritual brethren here might do in our general election next year.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on November 11, 2016, 09:46:10 AM
Nothing. I could imagine that he will have an influence on our foreign policy, but I don't think that he will have any noticable effect on my own life.

I suppose that also depends on whether it's an airburst or ground-level detonation.

viper37

What else can I do? The US has been so good to me. Apparently it needs my help.
Yes, it does need your help.  Like someone trying to kill himself.  However, if you put yourself in danger, you're of no use.
Better move to Canada, no matter the government, we're always tolerant of immigrants.  Besides, being of British origins, you'll still have the same head of state  :yucky: and lots of people wake up singing God save the Queen while seeing the old British colonial flag raise up in the morning.  Well, I guess that's where that monarchist&colonial love from Harper came from, at least.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on November 11, 2016, 10:41:19 AM
What else can I do? The US has been so good to me. Apparently it needs my help.
Yes, it does need your help.  Like someone trying to kill himself.  However, if you put yourself in danger, you're of no use.

You can't save somebody who doesn't want to save themselves.

derspiess

Showed this to the wife this morning and her first reaction was that she wished she had not listened to me and just voted Trump :lol:

http://cornellsun.com/2016/11/09/devastated-cornellians-mourn-election-of-donald-trump-at-cry-in/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2016, 12:20:56 PM
Showed this to the wife this morning and her first reaction was that she wished she had not listened to me and just voted Trump :lol:

http://cornellsun.com/2016/11/09/devastated-cornellians-mourn-election-of-donald-trump-at-cry-in/

You two probably came so hard. Together.  Because it's specialer that way.

mongers

OK I've now said my piece about Trump, time to get on with live; I think this particular thread has run it's course and we have to many T**** threads as its is, so any objections to me closing this one?

Tamas

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on November 11, 2016, 12:52:36 PM
go for it

OK I'll give it wait for my afternoon tea* go down and then lock it.

* much delayed today.  :bowler: