What Will Be Your Personal Response to the Trump Ascendancy?

Started by mongers, November 09, 2016, 04:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 09, 2016, 06:40:35 PM
Was thinking about getting married next year and returning home in 2018. Given how poorly the economy is likely to be doing, and the attitude towards immigrants. My plans are now in serious doubt.  :(

The economy is doing okay, regardless of what happens it will almost certainly be better than in S. Korea, and regardless of any turn against immigrants, the attitude is almost certainly better than in East Asia.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

What people often forget is that economies are built on things like supply, demand, infrastructure and labor and shit like that. Government policies and taxation can play a role but damn do people think it is somehow all about that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 12:26:46 PM
What people often forget is that economies are built on things like supply, demand, infrastructure and labor and shit like that. Government policies and taxation can play a role but damn do people think it is somehow all about that.

I suspect that even if Trump makes good policy elections as US president, US multinationals are going to suffer. Foreign consumers, courts, trade representatives etc. are going to be taking a more negative attitude to US interests under Trump vs. Obama.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 12:24:23 PM
regardless of any turn against immigrants, the attitude is almost certainly better than in East Asia.

Yeah, but that's ok because Tim doesn't understand their snarky comments.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 12:30:47 PM

I suspect that even if Trump makes good policy elections as US president, US multinationals are going to suffer. Foreign consumers, courts, trade representatives etc. are going to be taking a more negative attitude to US interests under Trump vs. Obama.

That would be incredibly short sighted, especially since they didn't seem to be particularly favorable just because Obama was in charge.

alfred russel

Quote from: frunk on November 10, 2016, 12:53:56 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 12:30:47 PM

That would be incredibly short sighted, especially since they didn't seem to be particularly favorable just because Obama was in charge.

It isn't about being short sited or long sited. In part it is just human nature. You are a Liberian going to buy a soft drink. You can buy an American one (coke / pepsi), or a local brand, or just drink juice/water. The view of America is going to color that somewhat.

frunk

Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2016, 01:13:52 PM
It isn't about being short sited or long sited. In part it is just human nature. You are a Liberian going to buy a soft drink. You can buy an American one (coke / pepsi), or a local brand, or just drink juice/water. The view of America is going to color that somewhat.

Individual consumers, maybe.  Businesses or trade delegations, unlikely.  They don't have to deal directly with Trump.  Besides, I'm sure we'll be getting a lot more business from Russia.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Phillip V

Is there a dedicated website filled with pictures of people crying after Trump won.

derspiess

Dunno, but Val looks like she's about ready to choke someone.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fromtia

I thought about it for a while. Thought Hillary was a toilet seat, but still cant believe Trump is the next US President.

I have lived in the US for 21 years now and raised a son who is American. What should I do?

Well, this didnt need to happen and a cursory glance at the poll numbers reveals it was completely preventable and that Trump was not hard to beat, despite his bottled lightning celebrity machismo. It's just that the Democratic party tried to usher in Hillary and....well.

So, what should I do?

I'm going to apply for my US citizenship first of all, finally. I'm going to do that as soon as I can wrangle $700. Then I'm going to join the Democratic party and I'm going to vote every chance I get. But I'm going to do my best to volunteer and get involved and do whatever I can to move that party in a better direction. What else can I do? The US has been so good to me. Apparently it needs my help.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Phillip V

Quote from: fromtia on November 11, 2016, 12:25:45 AM
I thought about it for a while. Thought Hillary was a toilet seat, but still cant believe Trump is the next US President.

I have lived in the US for 21 years now and raised a son who is American. What should I do?

Well, this didnt need to happen and a cursory glance at the poll numbers reveals it was completely preventable and that Trump was not hard to beat, despite his bottled lightning celebrity machismo. It's just that the Democratic party tried to usher in Hillary and....well.

So, what should I do?

I'm going to apply for my US citizenship first of all, finally. I'm going to do that as soon as I can wrangle $700. Then I'm going to join the Democratic party and I'm going to vote every chance I get. But I'm going to do my best to volunteer and get involved and do whatever I can to move that party in a better direction. What else can I do? The US has been so good to me. Apparently it needs my help.

Encourage others around you to do the same.

Ideologue

I'm honestly surprised I haven't gotten into a fistfight yet.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess